Structure

• Wishing for others/inside group :
    Desired Outcome + といい + です + ね
    Desired Outcome + といい + ね
  • Wishing for oneself :
    Desired Outcome + といい + なぁ
    Desired Outcome + といい + ん/の + です + が
    Desired Outcome + といい + ん/の + だ + けど

If といい means “to hope” the verb has to be non-controllable , or controllable but in potential form .

Controllable verb:
帰るといい - You should go back home
帰れるといいね - I hope you can come home.

Non-controllable verb:
雨が降らないといいね - I hope it won’t rain.
[Cannot be used to give advice]

View on Bunpro

1 Like

The translation of this one confuses me a bit.
Why isn‘t it “I hope you can come to Japan and live with your girlfriend” instead ?

3 Likes

@xBl4ck Nice spot! We recently got the Japanese for this sentence updated and forgot to fix the translation. Cheers!

3 Likes

楽しいといいんですが。
I hope it is fun.

Whats が doing at the end of this sentence?

The が at the end of the sentence implies that the speaker gets the feeling that it might not be fun.

1 Like

Ahhhh! I see how that’s working. The implied omission insinuates the speakers reluctance, hesitance, etc… Thank you! @matt_in_mito

Japanese is a very high-context language and you have to read between the lines all the time. This is a prime example of that.

1 Like

This and one other sentence, なる isn’t in the potential form. Is it an exception? Getting strong seems like something you have control over.

I don’t know if this has been reported before, but isn’t this point (といい) a duplicate of the grammar point https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/212 (covers both といい and たらいい) ?

If not, what’s the difference?

There is a Japanese Ammo video for this grammar point. I’m adding these links to each grammar discussion as I find them so let me know if this is annoying!

What is なぁ? Is that a small あ on purpose?

You will often see a small ぁ at the end of a sentence like どうしようかなぁ - it gives the impression that the speaker is trailing off into thought.

1 Like

I believe these small vowels at the end of a sentence are similar to using ~ or ー at the end of a sentence instead of a full stop. The sentence ends with a prolonged pronunciation of the last word, indicating an ongoing thought process or empathy of the writer/speaker.

It’s kind of like phonetic spelling in English, where you intentionally mangle words to convey certain additional emotion in your writing.

1 Like

Hi, what does this part mean? it is not clickable and it is the only example which uses a な in both parts of the sentence.