GrammarInTheWild - Daily Discussion

Summary

Literal: Please feel free to consult [with us] on inquiries regarding management and real estate.
Natural: Please feel free to inquire within about property management and real estate.

Notes – It’s hard to use “feel free” and still keep a very formal tone (inquire, regarding, consult). My next choice was “do not hesitate”, but that felt like too many words. I’m curious to see what others come up with.
– I clipped the natural translation to just “inquire” because “consult to inquire” sounds redundant in English.

5 Likes
T

In regards to enquiries to real estate management, please kindly consult (with us).

U

抗加齢ドックについて毎年体格検査を受けるだけましだとされています。

MZa

Since roughy every daily problem’s vocabulary content I don’t know, I must search using the dictionary (to learn) about it.

4 Likes
Summary

What I tried to convey was “Since I didn’t understand almost all the vocabulary in today’s problem, I had to search information about it in dictionaries”. Not sure if I succeeded since I tried to use grammar points that are still a bit difficult at my level.
ほぼすべて今日の問題の中にある言葉 is an attempt of very complicated (for me at least) determination of a noun,
and I am not sure the past short form of 探さなきゃ is indeed 探さなきゃった (to further shorten 探さなきゃいけなかった).

I am not sure I understand your use case. Can you detail it please?

3 Likes
Summary

I should not have said ‘every day’…that was my mistake on your breakdown.

Don’t know if I can say either, but I think if shorten to 今日の言葉, I think we would all know what was being said.

I’m trying to say "In regards to age-related medical checkup, it considered/regarded (we) at least get a yearly medical examination.

I am too trying new things…I’m not confident this is best choice but got to make mistakes for growth. Maybe I could have changed to:

抗加齢ドックについて毎年ぐらい体格検査を受るべきだとされています。Not sure about だけました use in the previous context.

2 Likes

Well, I wasn’t planning on joining in on these yet, but I’m a sucker for participation medals :sweat_smile:

Translation

管理不動産についてのお問い合わせはお気軽にご相談ください。

管理 = Control; Management

不動産 = Real estate

管理不動産 = Managed Real Estate

について = Concerning; About; Regarding

の = possessive

お問い合わせ = Enquiry; Inquiry (note : Polite language)

は = topic marker

お気軽 = 1. Carefree; Buoyant; Lighthearted; Sprightly

1. Ease

に = particle [for (purpose) use-case]

ご = honorific / polite / humble prefix

相談 = Consultation; Discussion; Discussing; Asking (somebody) for advice

ください = Please (give me); Please (do for me)

Rough = Please feel at ease to contact us with inquiries about managed real estate.

Natural = Please feel free to contact us for inquiries about managed real estate.

4 Likes

September 5th Translation

Notes :
So what is the difference between 勝手に and 気軽に? This is something that usually trips a lot of people up. 勝手に refers more to something that should be under some kind of control, but is free of/not obeying that control. For example if someone does something against their company’s wishes, it is 勝手に, or even if a robot becomes self aware and acts by itself it is 勝手に. 気軽に is used more for situations where someone is able to do something without afterthought, or without hesitation. In positive situations, 気軽に will almost always be more natural.

Extra note!
We have a winner for the August Grammar In The WIld! Please take a look at the thread, and take part in the conversation!
Check it out here!

5 Likes

September 6th
ないこと

5 Likes

Note : I might be completely missing the mark here, but this is my attempt :sweat_smile:

translation

あのガキまたいらんこと教えやがって

あの = that (over there)

ガキ = brat; kid; urchin; little devil [can also refer to Preta (hungry ghosts)]

また = In this usecase : Really; how; (what, why) on earth

いらん = My guess : Kansai-ben for I don’t need it; I don’t want it

こと = thing; matter

教え = teaching; instruction; teachings; precept; lesson; doctrine

やがって =て-form ofやがる (to have the nerve to) note : Derogatory (indicates hatred, contempt or disdain for another’s action)

Rough : That brat (over there), teaching me things I don’t need.

Natural : This brat, teaching me useless things.

5 Likes
Translation

あのガキまたいらんこと教えやがって
That brat had the nerve to teach me something I don’t need again!

Translation notes:

I added “had the nerve to” to express the connotation that やがる adds (see below). I also changed “thing(s)” to “something” as I think it sounds better in English. The original sentence only says “things I don’t need” but I think that “things I don’t need to know” would sound better, although ultimately I decided to leave “to know” out to stay closer to the original.

A couple of thoughts:

I didn’t recall seeing やがる before and it doesn’t look like it’s on Bunpro. It gets attached to a verb stem to show the speaker’s feelings that the act was unfavorable to themselves (it’s the opposite of 〜てくれる). It can be read like “to have the nerve to ~”. More details here.

I’m not entirely sure why the sentence ends with the て form, it doesn’t seem like a command, so maybe it’s not a complete thought or it’s attached to another clause in the next panel. I think this leaves the tense of the sentence open for interpretation.

@mathijsdm Glad you joined in, I’m looking forward to seeing your translations!

6 Likes
Why it ends with やがって

I believe in this case it is an incomplete sentence where it is expected for the reader / listener to infer what the “speaker” intended to continue with.

6 Likes
T

That brat still has the nerve to complain.

U

本当に忙しかっただけど、とうとう寝ることができる。

5 Likes

Thank you for the explanation! 🙇‍♂️

2 Likes

That little brat is disappeared again, and you have the nerve to tell me that!

Edit: huh, I confused いらない with いない.

5 Likes

A very difficult japanese derogatory sentence, very difficult to translate in derogatory english (for a non native at least…), but let’s try

translation

That dude f*cking tell me that brat ain’t there again
:scream: :scream:
edit: ok, completely mistook “いらん” for “いない”…

5 Likes

5 Likes
T

Once again that brat went and told me something I didn’t need to hear

Summary

また あのガキ

again, that brat - so far so good

教えやがって いらんこと
this is where it gets interesting:

the 〜やがって is a verb ending that indicates feelings of being offended, slighted, pissed off, etc.(depending on the context this could end up translated as seriously foul language e.g. yakuza films) I think the whole translation really hinges on this sense of frustration or anger the speaker feels. To convey it in English I added the “once” to “again” for extra emphasis and then the “went and told” for a passive sense of having something negative done to oneself.

いらんこと is literally unwanted or unnecessary thing(s), told to the speaker. In other words “things he didn’t need to hear”. I chose “hear” but could also be “know”

5 Likes

I was going to join in for the first time, but didn’t understand this at all.

may contain spoilers:

Summary

Is the phrase supposed to contain ないこと, as in ‘verb to noun’ (neg’ in this case), which is the grammar point linked above (and written on) the image? こと seems to be being used as ‘thing’ according the other translations.

3 Likes
Answer to question

Hi Steve, this is something called nominalization in English. The ‘noun’ isnt actually one word, but a group of words. いらんこと is slang for いらないこと (unneeded things). In this case ‘unneeded things’ is the ‘noun’.

6 Likes

Reply may contain spoilers:

Summary

Thanks Asher. I’m aware of こと for nominalization, but couldn’t see the neg verb being used. I thought it may have been いらない but wasn’t sure (the slang threw me off), and after looking at other translation it seemed everyone was going for いらん (unneeded) + こと (thing), I still couldn’t specifically see the neg verb + こと.
That’s really just down to my in-experience though, so all good. Maybe tomorrow :thinking:

4 Likes
こと usage

こと seems to be being used as ‘thing’

こと (事) means thing (in an abstract sense).

The way that “verb to noun” works is that こと is the noun and we are describing it with a verb.

Keeping it as “thing” in the resulting translation can be kind of awkward which is why you don’t see it done in the example sentences for the grammar point (though the notes for one of them uses “something”). The reason why I think “thing” is showing up for today’s translation is related to how “いらん (いらない)” is a verb in Japanese, but “unneeded” and “unwanted” are adjectives in English.

6 Likes