GrammarInTheWild - Daily Discussion

Great to discuss, this more common than I realized. :slight_smile:

I don’t know the specific etymology, or it matters. Sampling some native responses from Kansai-Chubu-Kanto region, they will hear and use it. But I asked a native from Tohoku, they would not use it…but then someone from Kyushu may use it as well (!). So seems everyone know what it is though but I believe いらない and 分からない are still considered ‘standard’ but this appears too common not to learn.

If curious, here were a few native responses in regards to いらん and わからん. For simplicity of a non-native asking, they say Kansai-ben but still used in various places.

Then interestingly, another native saying it is or less used but think it is Nara-ben (いらん) which I guess is just overall Kansai-ben. There is a whole thread of responses from different areas saying they use it.

6 Likes
T

For ventilation please keep the power switch on at all times

Summary

常時スイッチ - I think this can be broken up into either a noun (常時スイッチ) or adverb(常時) + noun(スイッチ). So it’s either : always/at all times, the switch or the always-switch.

を切らずに - this grammar pattern indicates the sense of without doing X. So without cutting/turning off the always-switch. Or always/at all times without turning off the switch(I’m leaning towards this interpretation. In my translation I inverted this into the positive sense of keeping it powered on for the sake of clarity and naturalness)

換気して - do ventilation. This needs to be converted into more natural English so I went with “for ventilation”

ください - please :grinning: It’s nice that they ask so politely

5 Likes

@s1212z @blacktide @Asher
いらない・いらん
わからない・わからん
This kind of shortening or ‘clipping’ is so common that it never even occurred to me that it might be particular to certain dialects. That said, I think it’s a fair point that it’d be nice to get a heads up if there’s slang or an unusual phrase in the daily quiz that is unrelated to the main grammar point. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@s1212z @blacktide

I also took it as the negative shortened form, which is exceptionally common in manga, regardless of dialect (but it could just be that they are trying to make certain characters appear a certain way, like English comics/games do). As for 違乱, within the context of the sentence I would say that it could have been that as well, but probably would have been kanji with furigana if that was the case. If something is specifically dialect, I’ll make an effort to give a heads up in future!

In regards to this actual manga, it is a very famous kansai one, and even had a TV show many years ago! It barely ever uses furigana, so it can be quite challenging at times.

@FredKore Some super common verbs get shortened even further/lose the original identity even more. わからない・わからん・わかんね

7 Likes

September 7th Translation

Notes :
Although we translated this to something a bit more natural in English, in this case 常時スイッチ is actually behaving as one noun phrase, and is a bit closer to ‘constant operation switch’.

5 Likes

September 8th
にくい

5 Likes

Totally. Ever hear some boys that mumble their words so much, you wonder if they’re saying words at all? …わかんね … っかんねっ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

2021春夏新作、マスクにつきにくいクッションファンデ

Summary

literal: Newly made for 2021 Spring/Summer, cushion foundation that is hard to stick to mask
natural: New for Spring/Summer season 2021, foundation that won’t come off on your mask.

TIL: ファンデ is short for ファンデーション
Question: What other kinds of foundation are there? Why do they call it “cushion foundation”?

5 Likes

にくい

Summary

“New product for Spring/Summer 2021, Cushion foundation that doesn’t stick to the mask”

To me it reads something like ‘difficult to attach to mask foundation’, so for the English I went with a negative ‘does not’ to sound more natural.

5 Likes
beauty tips

The foundation is stored in a ‘sponge’ or ‘cushion’ inside a little container because its liquid, whereas other types are just powders stored in a container

6 Likes
Summary

2021春夏新作マスクにつきにくいクッションファンデ

春夏 = Spring / summer

新作 = new work; new production; new composition; new creation; new title

マスク = mask

に = on

つき = best guess based on context 付き = attached to

にくい = difficult to / hard to

クッション = cushion

ファンデ = Abbreviation for ファンデーション (foundation)

Rough : New 2021 Spring / Summer creation, difficult to attach on mask cushion foundation.

Natural : The new 2021 Spring / Summer cushion foundation collection, won’t stick to your mask.

5 Likes

I also just learned something, thanks Steve! :rofl:

3 Likes

Feel like young boys and old men are the two worst offenders for this. It’s almost like boys become more intelligible as they age and then revert back to being hard to understand at some point.

4 Likes
Summary

New in 2021
Mask will be difficult to be used up
Cushion fan (???)

→ New in 2021: Mask improvment make them last longer.

Total conjecture, and my brain is fried
Edit: oh no it was about make up ><, so that’s why it flew over my head…

@blacktide Thanks a lot!

I knew and use Jisho but thanks for the additional ressources, just tried sentencesearch and it was pretty useful :3

4 Likes
T

2021 Spring-Summer New product line:
Cushion Cream (for/due difficult to wear masks)

U

私たちがマスクをつけている間に他人の話はちょっと聞きにくいと思います。

4 Likes

2021 Spring-Summer Specialty
Foundation that doesn’t stain your face mask

4 Likes
T

New product for Spring/Summer 2021 - Cushion foundation that won’t stick to your mask!

Summary

つきにくい - this is the crux of this puzzle. The other elements can be more or less directly translated, but this requires some tinkering. V-stem~にくい means difficult to do something. And つく means to be attached to, clinging to, sticking to, etc. So, we can understand this literally as “a cushion foundation that is difficult to stick to mask”. But that sounds a bit strange and since this is an advertisement I thought why not make it more natural and add a bit of marketing spin i.e. it won’t stick to your mask* (it might though, but only a little bit. Definitely better than those other brands!)

4 Likes

September 8th Translation

Notes :
Small shout out to @SteveB for this one, who picked out that the sentence is literally saying ‘difficult to attach’, but was able to find a much more natural translation in English based on the context!

Because there is no strong distinction in Japanese for what type of verb is used/who the subject is, getting lost in sentences like these can be easy! If you think ‘How would this sound if the person/thing doing something was the subject of this sentence’ you’ll usually arrive at something more natural in English.

7 Likes

September 9th

NEW SEGMENT
For the people that requested longer passages, here is a medium sized one from a game guide. As this is new, feel free to give me feedback on if it was too long/too hard/too easy/too short! Because there are quite a few grammar points here, no specific point will be the focus, but please feel free to translate only one sentence if you feel like some parts are too difficult. :partying_face:

This new section will always have the text included, so that people can easily copy/paste it if need be. So with that said, here is the text.

Text :
冷蔵庫を調べると食べ物が入っていることがあり、それを食べるとステータスが上昇することがある。また、菜々子が買い物に行った日はお弁当の材料が入っていて、お弁当を作ると翌日にほかのキャラクターと食べられる。

Note : 菜々子 is a name (Nanako)

6 Likes

The wall of text is less intimidating than the manga for me, lol.

summary

Examine the fridge to find food that boosts status upon consumption.

Additionally, on days Nanako goes shopping she puts bento ingredients in the fridge. If you make a bento you can eat it with another character on the next day.

I had something a lot wordier and more word for word at first, but trimmed it down. I’m pretty sure I parsed everything wrong on the second half from また onwards. Is Nanako putting ingredients in the fridge for the PC/MC to make a bento, or is she making it? And who is the one eating it in the end? I’m all confused on the subject(s) here.

edit:

As this is new, feel free to give me feedback on if it was too long/too hard/too easy/too short!

Difficulty: Surprisingly easy
Length: Doable
Provided text: Super helpful
Note on name: Also super helpful
Temptation to finally cave and buy this game: AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

6 Likes