GrammarInTheWild - December 2021

Summary

Hey, no grandpa! you can’t sleep at this type of place!

6 Likes
Summary

Hey grandpa!, you shouldn’t sleep in this place.

6 Likes
Translation

Hey! Come on granpa! No way! You end up sleeping this way.

Use case

一千のワニカニの復習をしてしまわなければなりません。

Use case's translation

@s1212z 一生懸命に働こうにしても、世界はまだ不公平ができる。
Even if I work with all my might, the world my still be unfair.

6 Likes
Summary

Hold on there old man, stop that. You cant sleep here.

6 Likes

Hey, hey! Old man, you can’t do that! Don’t fall asleep in such a place!

5 Likes
T

Hey, hey old man, it’s no good if you are going to sleep in this spot.

Hmm…is this really the grammar point for ちゃう? Or is this a dialect/expression choice? Also came across some といえば colliqiual, not “to do something by accident, to finish completely・totally, unfortunately”, so extrapolated around something different.

「ちゃあ」の意味や使い方 Weblio辞書

U

Intent: Even if you work as hard as you can, the world can still be unfair.

12/29:上に多分間違ってしまった。

UT

I have to do a 1000 wanikani review (ugh).

頑張れ! :crocodile: :crab:

3 Likes

December 29th Translation

5 Likes

December 30th
につき

Text: 小学生以下のお子様については、保護者同伴につき拝観料は頂戴しておりません

6 Likes
Summary

Regarding elementary school students and under, their accompanying protectors (parents?) (each) won’t be charged admission fees.

4 Likes
Summary

As for children who are elementary school students or below, please be accompanied by a parent/guardian for the entrance fee (??)

3 Likes
Summary

UNDER SIXES FREE!

I’m not even joking here, I think that would be the best translation and what you would likely see in an English-speaking country. I don’t think you’d even need the bit about the parents/guardians because it would be unimaginable for. 5-year-old to be visiting somewhere without a guardian.
Also, translating 〜について into ‘as for ~’ is a bit of a peeve of mine because starting a paragraph with it is unnatural in English - even though I guess that’s probably how Google would do it. If it were the second sentence connecting to the first it would be natural as a connective but not at the very beginning. Disclaimer: I don’t know is this sentence was taken from the middle of something else but it looks like it would be on a sign.

4 Likes

I’ve fallen behind x’D Been busy recently.

Dec 28

お店でも小銭いらずでラクラクお買い物!

Even at this store, without needing any small change, you can shop with ease!

Dec 29

ちょっとちょっとじーさんだめだよこんなとこでねちゃあ

Wait wait wait old man, this isn’t a good place to sleep!

Dec 30

小学生以下のお子様については、保護者同伴につき拝観料は頂戴しておりません

Regarding children below elementary school age, accompanying guardians will not receive an entrance fee.

I agree, you never see such long explanations anywhere in the US xD

5 Likes
Summary

Children of elementary school age or younger do not need to pay an entrance fee when accompanied by a guardian.

I interpret the につき as a conditional in this sentence, even though it might not litterally be so. If it is so, then I’m curious what happens to the kids that show up without a parent or guardian…

5 Likes
T

In regards to children younger than elementary school level, when accompanied with a guardian, there is no admission fee.

U

コロナにつき、お正月の祝いはキャンセルしております。

4 Likes

As for elementary school students and younger children, on account of they’re accompanied by an adult, there is no charge.

@matt_in_mito

Actually 以下 includes 小学生, so it’s “UNDER TWELVES FREE!”

4 Likes
Translation

No entrance fee for children up to elementary school since they are accompanied by a patron/parent/…

Use case

雨につき、傘とでかけます。

Use cases' translation

@s1212z 上に多分間違ってしまった。
I may have made a mistake above.
コロナにつき、お正月の祝いはキャンセルしております。
Due to the coronavirus, we cancelled the New Year’s celebration.

5 Likes

December 30th Translation

6 Likes

December 31st
なさい

Text: そういう大事なことは早く言いなさいよ!!

7 Likes
Summary

そういう大事なことは早く言いなさいよ!!

そういう something like that
大事な important
こと thing
早く earlier
言う→言いなさい say (command)
よ bruh

C’mon, for something that important, you should’ve said it sooner!!

6 Likes

Fair point. I always forget which one out of 以上 and 以下 includes the thing that precedes it. It’s confusing :sob:

5 Likes