GrammarInTheWild - February / March 2022

Summary

ワシの息子二人で見つけてくれたんやろ

It seems you’ve found me with my two sons.

@ chicharron

わし is old man speak for わたし. :older_man: I can’t not hear a stereotypical old man voice whenever I see it in a sentence, haha.

8 Likes
Summary

You found my two sons for me you bastard.

Explanation

Yes, Of course I’m joking, I know it’s not やろう but hopefully it made you giggle for a second or two.

7 Likes

Thank you for you explanation! I feel so dumb now haha

5 Likes
Summary

Seems like you’ve found both of my sons for me.

6 Likes

It seems both of my sons found it [for you].
Edit: whoops, [for me] indeed

6 Likes
Translation attempt:

Seems like you found my two sons for me.

5 Likes

No worries! We’re all learning here. Only way to improve is to make mistakes :wink:

5 Likes
T

My two sons found it for me.

U

Intent: Seems the meeting is not finished yet. If I’m coming home soon, I’ll let you know.

翻訳を説明してくれてありがとう ^^

6 Likes

February 3rd Translation

8 Likes

February 4th
ようだ

Text: 横撃している右翼飛信隊に何か気をとられているようです

7 Likes
Summary

Absolutely no Idea. I couldn’t find a lot of that vocabulary. Something to do with attacking from the right wing? Is this a war manga? What is 気をとる?
Nah sorry I failed this one…

7 Likes

It seems that Hishin squad is a little preoccupied with the attackers from the right flank.

Edit: now it seems to me, it’s the right-flank attackers who’s preoccupied with Hishin squad

気をとられる Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary :slight_smile:

7 Likes
Summary

The flying Shintai (or just “flying squad”?) that is attacking the side is getting attention… (???)

6 Likes
Summary

横撃している右翼飛信隊に何か気をとられているようです

The right wing flying unit that is attacking … someone/thing is preoccupied with … it seems …

It looks like they’re preoccupied with the right wing flying unit that is attacking them. ??

Okay this one was hard lmao

5 Likes
T

Something like shooting along side the right-wing Hishin squad got my attention.

U

Intent: Thanks for explaining the translation to me. :slight_smile:

ここに安心なところようだ。

4 Likes
Summary

They seem to be distracted by the flanking right-wing Hishintai (?)

Is this a proper name? Does anyone know?

This one was so hard. Same as @matt_in_mito , didn’t know a lot of the vocab, even the couple words I looked up I’m not that sure about. Still fun though!

6 Likes

February 4th Translation

5 Likes

February 5th
すると

Text: しばらくすろと大きな島がみえてきた…

5 Likes
Summary

After a while a large island came into sight.

4 Likes

Shin (信) is the name of the character, 隊 is for the regiment of soldiers that he commands. 飛 I am pretty sure is just a prefix added to his regiment to make them sound cooler, like ‘The flying faith’ / ‘leap of faith’ or something.

The Shin itself may not actually be referring to the character, despite it being his name. It is possibly just a play on words. I’ll check my Kingdom lore book when I get home and see if there was any special reason for the name.

4 Likes