GrammarInTheWild - November 2021

Translation

I’ve seen something like this before. This black ball…

4 Likes
T

I have seen something like this black ball before…

U

九州に行ったことがあらないが、いつか屋久島に行きたいんです。

@SteveB

I’ll read best to my ability without help and then look up words as needed. For the sign stuff, it helps to follow the entire content because I may change due to context. The fantasy manga stuff, I just try to best I can since I don’t know most of the stories and they can get obscure. And I may double check the grammar point for a sanity check or maybe ideas for the output challenge (or conjugation checks). Something like today w/ あんだよ, I had to double check this was an extension of あるんだよ which was in a hi-native response and pretty sure I heard it before but it was a bit more obvious since it was the grammar point in question, but there have been a few of these twists. Sometimes I’ll look up the story if it’s a name or what kind of possible situation it could be. Since this is a translation exercise into English, I try to smooth the English to something natural that isn’t stiff, so I may do a quick re-write before posting.

4 Likes

November 29th Translation

6 Likes

November 30th
他動詞

Text: 持ち主が確認できない荷物は、途中駅で降ろす場合があります。

6 Likes

If it’s impossible to identify the baggage owner, it can be unloaded on a way station.

4 Likes
Summary

For unchecked owner’s luggage, there is a drop-off place on the way to the station.

quickly did the rest…

Here is the front row seating luggage space (for customer use).
For the open space, please let for passengers use.
In regards to the the luggage path, in order not to prevent other customers with their heavy luggage, please compromise with the space (or something like that).
For unchecked owner’s luggage, there is a drop-off place on the way to the station.
Please manage your held carry-on luggage yourself.

4 Likes

荷物スペース
・こちらは前列の座席をご利用されているお客様の共用スペースです。
・そのスペースが空いている場合は乗務員が使用させていただくことがあります。
・荷物が通路からはみ出さないようにお客様同士で荷物を重ねるなど、ゆずりあってのご利用をお願いします。
・待ち主が確認できない荷物は、途中駅で降ろす場合があります。
・待ち物はご自身での管理をお願いします。

Full translation

Baggage area (obviously…)
・This is a shared place of customers using the front row seats.
・If this place is empty, there are times when it is used by the crew members.
・Please make mutual concessions by using it, such as piling up luggage over fellow customers’ ones so that they don’t jut out in the pathway.
・There are cases when waiting owners can’t check their luggage and leave them on the route. (quite at lost for this one!)
・Please attend by yourself luggage during waiting.

Use case

今晩オムレツを焼いた。それでオムレツが焼けた。

Use case's translation

@s1212z 九州に行ったことがあらないが、いつか屋久島に行きたいんです。
I’ve never been to Kyushu, but I want to go to Yakushima someday.

4 Likes
Summary

For the owners of baggage unable to check in, you can unload them at midway stations.

3 Likes

November 30th Translation

5 Likes

The post for December is up:

4 Likes