GrammarInTheWild - November 2021

November 1st
それぞれ

Text :
スヴェンの2人の息子達は父からそれぞれに版図を継承していた

Note :
There will be a bit of an overload of manga posts for the next few days guys, as I will be going on a short break to Kyoto (4 days). However, to make up for this, I am planning on taking as many interesting grammar photos as I can while on holiday, and having a ‘Kyoto special’ week as soon as I return!

7 Likes
Translation

Sven’s couple’s sons all have inherited territory from their father.

8 Likes
Have been focused on reading a bit much lately, should come back to translating here a bit more ^^

Sven’s two sons had each inherited territory from their father.

6 Likes
Summary

Sven’s two sons both inherited land from him.

6 Likes

Translation attempt:

Summary

Sweyn’s two sons each inherited a territory from their father.

5 Likes

Each of two Sven’s sons have inherited territory from their father.

5 Likes
Translation

The two sons of Sven each inherited a territory from their father.

Use case

近頃色々なアニメを見ました。それぞれ自分の方でよかったです。たとえば「To your eternity」は感動しました。「進撃の巨人」は政治から見ると面白くて戦争についての話がとても聡いです。

5 Likes
T

For Sven’s two sons, from their father they each inherited land/territory.

U

猫たちはそれぞれ性格がありますね。

Have fun in Kyoto!

Found some fun Kyoto-ben phrases!

Kyo-kotoba Collection

Kyoto Dialect - Phrases & Greetings - Japanese Lesson
うち (Uchi): Uchi is used by women in Kyoto, which means “I”. The accent is placed on “う”.

> I’ve actually heard girls in Tokyo using うち (uchi), too, some of whom I know for a fact are not from Kyoto. But that was pretty rare. In Tokyo I heard あたし (atashi) used by girls most often. – Niko

あがる (Agaru): Agaru means go north. And さがる (Sagaru) means go south.

あじない (Ajinai): Ajinai is a slightly (and I mean just slightly) polite way to say “this doesn’t taste good”.

あめさん (Amesan): Amesan means a candy. In Osaka, people use ちゃん (chan) instead of さん.

いけず (Ikezu): Ikezu is used when you feel someone is mean to you.

いちはなだって (Ichihanadatte): Ichihanadatte means “first”. For example, コンビニに行くと、いちはなだってジュースをかう (First thing I do at a convenience store is to buy a juice).

いぬ (Inu): This is a verb used to mean “to go home”.

いらち (Irachi): Irachi means “impetuous” or “impatient”, and sometimes it refers to a person with these characteristics. The accent is on ら.

— え (– e): This is an ending, which falls into — よ (yo) in the standard Japanese. For example, そんなことしたらケガするえ (If you do such a thing, you will get injured).

えんばんと (Enbanto): Enbanto means unfortunately.

おす (Osu): This is basically a be verb. どす is also used for the same meaning.

おぶづけ (Obuzuke): Obuzuke is a Ochazuke. Ochazuke is a typical and casual Japanese food, which you pour tea over rice with some ingredients such as sea weed.

きばる (Kibaru): Kibaru is Kyoto version of がんばる (Gambaru).

ごもく (Gomoku): Gomoku means garbage. In the standard Japanese, it is ごみ (Gomi).

— し (– Shi): — Shi is a particle, which means “and so”.

じゅんさい (Jyunsai): Jyunsai is usually used as adverb like Jyunsai na. Jyunsai is a name of the slippery plant. Originally, Jyunsai na means “hard to grasp”, but now it means “irresponsible”.

ちょちょこばる (Chochokobaru): Chochokobaru is a verb which means “sit down”.

なおす (Naosu): なおす is a verb which has two different meanings. 1. Put away and 2. Fix (this is the standard Japanese).

にぬき (Ninuki): Ninuki is a boiled egg in Kyo-kotoba.

ねぶる (Neburu): Neburu means to lick.

— はん (– han):han is an ending to names, which basically has the same meaning with — さん (– san).

はんなり (Hannari): Hannari could be the most famous Kyo-kotoba. This is a word to describe the elegant and bright.

ほかす (Hokasu): Hokasu means “to discard”.

## Unique Greetings in Kyoto

おいでやす (Oideyasu): Welcome!

> I was talking to Rei, and she was probably most familiar with this greeting, おいでやす (oideyasu).
>
>
>
> She said that she pictures a 舞妓さん (maikosan) saying these phrases. I have no idea how to translate maiko. Wikipedia says that a maiko is an apprentice geiko, which is somehow different than a geisha.
>
>
>
> This is basically the Kyoto version of いらっしゃいませ (irasshaimase), which you’ll hear shop workers all across Japan yelling out every time someone walks through their doors.
>
>
>
> One easy way to remember this phrase might be to think of おいで (oide), which is a very casual way of saying “Come here.” Very casual. Like, you could say it to a kid, or a dog, or your boyfriend, but under no circumstances should you say it to your boss. – Niko

おこしやす (Okoshiyasu): Okoshiyasu also means welcome.

> I don’t actually know if this is correct, but the way I chose to remember this phrase is to think of お越しください (okoshi kudasai), which is a very polite way of saying “Come (here).” So sometimes you’ll see or hear phrases like this:
>
>
>
> またお越しください
> mata okoshi kudasai
> Please come again.
>
>
>
> Actually, if we’re talking about a convenience store or something, they would probably snap 〜ませ (~mase) onto the end of it, making it a bit more formal:
>
>
>
> またお越しくださいませ
> mata okoshi kudasaimase
> Please come again.

おやかまっさん (Oyakamassan): This greeting is usually used when you leave someone’s place, and it means “thank you for your time”.

はばかりさん (Habakarisan): Habakarisan‘s meaning is closed to ごくろうさま (Gokurosama). It means “thank you for your effort”.

5 Likes
UT

Lately I’ve been watching anime. Each one, respectively, is my preference. For example ‘To Your Eternity’, emotionally moves me. For Attack of Titans, it’s clever from a goverment/political perspective in regards to storytelling about war.

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for all the words! Tons I didn’t know, so I added them all to srs :rofl:

4 Likes
Translation

Each of Sven’s sons have been given their father’s territories

6 Likes

November 1st Translation

Note: This would be equally correct as Sven as a pure translation, but in this case it is referring to King Sweyn, who was a real historical Danish King that managed to conquer England, and was subsequently declared the King of England! … Although he did die after only 5 weeks of rule.

7 Likes

November 2nd
ほど

Text :
ここからもう二つほど部屋を抜けば、「月の石」の本体へ出る。

7 Likes

Early GITW

Summary

From now on if two more rooms are stolen from the sacred moon stone will have to leave

Review

There’s a へ particle after 本体, not a を. I kind of just assumed what was going on.

5 Likes

I dropped out reception then early post got me again. Anyway heres what I already had for yesterdays

Summary

Svens 2 sons each inherited territory from their father

5 Likes
Summary

“If you surpass as far as 2 more rooms from here, you will leave the body of the moonstone”

出る: How do I know if it’s ‘to leave’ or ‘to come to’?

5 Likes
Translation

If you go farther than two rooms from here, you’ll leave the main part of the moon stone.

6 Likes

If you two both escape from this room again, I will go for the Moon Stone’s real form.

二つほど = 〜you two both (to the extent you two, the nuance is “just like you did last time” I think)

Edit: ahahaha, I completely confused 二つ with 二人. But 二つ is still a subject of the sentence, I guess, as 抜ける is an intransitive verb. Maybe they are some animals that can escape?..
(I didn’t see anybody’s translations yet, except @gyroninja’s one.)

Edit 2: ok, I completely failed this time.

5 Likes
Translation

If you go through two more rooms from here, you will reach the main part of the “moon stone”.

Use case

友達にあげたくなかったほど美味しいお菓子をもらいました。それで全部食べました。わはは。

Use case's translation

@s1212z 猫たちはそれぞれ性格がありますね。
Each cat has its own personality, don’t you think so?

5 Likes
T

From here, if we leave out as much as two more chambers, the Moon Stone’s true form will emerge.

U

酔ったほど二日酔いで翌朝に起きられなかった。

UT

It was so delicious, I didn’t want to give to my friend so I kept it for myself. Then I ate the whole thing, bahaha.

5 Likes