GrammarInTheWild - November 2021

Summary

I struggled with this one too. Before seeing what exactly?
Maybe to avoid long wait times for the seal, they ask you to leave your book with them before you go into the temple.
For those who don’t know, 朱印帳 is a book where you collect seals from temples. I have one, and they’re all absolutely beautiful. Highly recommended!
So here’s my attempt at a translation:
Please leave your book with us before going in.

6 Likes
Translation

Please wait before looking at the red seal books.

Use case

私:おケーキいたしました。お召し上がりくださいませんか。
煉󠄁獄杏寿郎(れんごくきょうじゅろう):上手い。

Use case's translation

@s1212z 翻訳は正しいかどうわからなくて、一緒に答えを待ちましょう。
I don’t know whether my translation is right, so let’s wait the answer together.

5 Likes

Before seeing the red stamps notebook, please make a deposit.

Edit: whoops, I misunderstood this one :sweat_smile:
@matt_in_mito thanks for the explanation!

Isn’t it お~ください | Japanese Grammar SRS :thinking:

6 Likes
拝見

お~ください is in this sign as well, but we are referring to the use of 拝見 that is listed in the information section for いたす. This use of 拝見 is actually even more tricky than the regular usage, as it has to do with the temple itself. (see if you can guess from this)

5 Likes
Translation

Please leave your shrine stamp notebook here before visiting the temple/shrine. (Because they will fill the notebook during the visit I suppose)

Question

I am wondering why there is no “の” between 拝見 and 前に ? It should be a verb then, but as 拝見 is a する verb, where is the する part ? It seems I missed something here

5 Likes
T

As for the seal stamp notebook, please make a deposit before viewing.
Seal stamp 300 yen
Seal stamp notebook 1000 yen

U

昨日翻訳をお間違えいたした。「分からず屋」を知らなかったので、分からず屋のご感じがいたしました。

UT

Me: I made a cake. Won’t you please have some?
Kyojuro Rengoku: Amazing/delicious!

4 Likes
Summary

I guess we’ll see the reveal shortly, I’m seeing everyone’s answers now. I assume ‘deposit’ for 預ける due to the costs thereafter. And I thought they didn’t want customers opening the book before buying it, but I never owned or used one of stamp books before. Sounds fun!

4 Likes
Summary

As for your stamp book, please entrust it to us before viewing (the temple)

5 Likes

November 27th Translation

Notes:
This is a unique usage of 拝見 that will almost exclusively be seen at temples, and other places that a ‘God’ is considered to reside. Because 拝見 is kenjougo (lowering your own status in order to elevate another), usually it will only be used by the speaker, to refer to their own actions. However, because a temple is a place that a God resides, you cannot elevate someone above the status of the God that they are going to see. So in this case, 拝見 actually refers to the action of the person being spoken to, in reference to that they are about to be in a place of worship.

4 Likes

November 28th
たばかり

Text: デザイナーに特注し、今日、届いたばかりの…

5 Likes

The order was placed for the designer, and today it was just delivered…

4 Likes
Translation

I made a special order to the designer. It was just delivered today…

Use case

復習し終わったたばかりよ。

Use case's translation

@s1212z 昨日翻訳をお間違えいたした。「分からず屋」を知らなかったので、分からず屋のご感じがいたしました。
Yesterday I mistranslated. Since I didn’t know the “blockhead” word, I felt like a blockhead.

4 Likes
T

I sent a special order to the designer and it just came today…

U

駆け込み乗車して電車に乗ったばかりです。それでもうすぐ帰ります。

UT

I just finished my reviews!

4 Likes
Summary

There’s a special order for the designer, and today it just got delivered

5 Likes

November 28th Translation

5 Likes

November 29th
たことがある

Text: なんか見たことあんだよなーこの黒玉

4 Likes
Translation

This black ball, its something I’ve seen before

Question for all participants (out of general curiosity):

Whats your general translation tactic? Can you generally translate it yourself , do you look up a few words when necessary, do you just put the whole thing in Jisho? ‘Google’ the more random things or strange dialect words?
(of course, this will vary depending on the GITW itself).

Personally: I read it out allowed and immediately look up words I have no idea about, and try to translate it just by reading (sometimes guessing the meaning of a word/phrase if I know the kanji but not the word). This is like a quick ‘first draft’.
Then I put the whole thing into Jisho and go through again, writing down a literal translation, and then adjust it to sound natural.
I’m still fairly low on vocab, and just about to finish N4 grammar, so there’s only a handful I could translate completely on my own (which was exciting and depressing at the same time)

4 Likes
Summary

I’ve/You’ve/We’ve (Subject omitted) seen this black ball before.

4 Likes

We already saw something like these black balls, right?

3 Likes
@SteveB
  1. Read the sentence
  2. 分かんない
  3. Look up all unknown words in Jisho
  4. まだ分かんない
  5. Look up “分かんないとこ 意味” in a search engine
  6. 少し分かってきた
  7. Write a draft
  8. Send it as is
  9. まだ分かんない
4 Likes