GrammarInTheWild - November 2021

Since I’m now in the habit of reading the scanned text and the typed out text, I noticed there is a typo: 抜ければ not 抜けば

T

From here if you pass through about two more rooms, you will emerge at the main part of the moon stone

Summary

ほど - is putting an upper limit on something as in “as many as” or “up to”, “to the extent that” but when counting things or time I think it often conveys a sense of “about” or “around” this amount

へ出る - exiting towards a location i.e. 外へ出る - to go outside

5 Likes

Apparently I am very bad at Japanese, as that is the second typo I have made recently. 申し訳ございませんでした😳

3 Likes

November 2nd Translation

Notes
ほど can be translated in many different ways in English, but is essence it always means ‘a limit’, or ‘an extent’. Usually the thing being mentioned should not exceed the stated ‘extent’, but when it is used as ‘about’, or ‘or so’, it can mean ‘a little bit above or below’.

7 Likes

November 3rd
しかも

Text: しかもそいつうわ言のように何か呟きながらさまようってるって…

7 Likes

Did you mean to post the translated version?

4 Likes
Summary

and whats more, he said that guy is wandering around muttering something strange

A small request: I know the GITW posting is fairly casual (and different admins doing it), but would it be possible to firm up a time (or small bracket of time) that the ‘day’ is up, when the translation and new GITW is posted?
I have noticed a few overlaps from people, including myself (or I just skip it) as it was posted sooner that thought and there wasn’t enough time during our day to get it done earlier. At least with a solid time we know when the cut-off is to have it done by.
よろしくお願いします

6 Likes
Translation

Not only that, I said there was a guy who was making noises muttering something while he was roaming around.

6 Likes

No problem @SteveB It usually only changes when different people do it. We will have a chat amongst the team and try figure out a set time that someone will always be able to do it! Sorry for the inconvenience thus far!

3 Likes

And moreover, that guy is knocking around while muttering some gibberish, they said…

5 Likes

Not really an inconvenience, it would just help manage time throughout the day, and hopefully not miss it. I appreciate the time and effort going into GITW from the team!

3 Likes
T

Moreover, that guy is muttering something while loitering…

U

文プロ職員が早くに翻訳を出してしまった。黒檀の小人さんはそれをしたつもりですかと問いました。しかもスティーブビーさんは文プロ職員が毎日野生の文法稽古には同じ時に予定すると願いました。

5 Likes
Translation

Furthermore, they said that this guy is roaming about, muttering something as if talking in delirium.

Use case

今日は天気が曇ってしかも寒くなりました。

Use case's translation

@s1212z 文プロ職員が早くに翻訳を出してしまった。黒檀の小人さんはそれをしたつもりですかと問いました。しかもスティーブビーさんは文プロ職員が毎日野生の文法稽古には同じ時に予定すると願いました。
The Bunpro staff released the translation early. EbonyMidget asked if it was on purpose. Furthermore SteveB requested that the Bunpro staff scheduled the exercice “Grammar in the Wild” at the same time each day.

5 Likes

November 3rd Translation

Notes :
As the って at the end of this passage is connected to another panel in the comic, it can be left out of this translation. However, if you wanted to include it, it would be ‘It is said that’, or ‘I heard that’.

Note - Ignore the ‘delerious’ typo, will be fixed asap.

6 Likes

November 4th
こんな

Text :
森の奥にこんな大きな町(タウン)があるなんて…聞いたこともないぞ?

6 Likes
Translation

In the depths of such a big forest, there is a town… Have you never heard of it?

5 Likes

So, it’s like there is such a big town in the heart of the forest… You didn’t hear about it too, right?

4 Likes
Translation

Deep in the forest, this kind of a large town exists, or so I’ve heard.

5 Likes
Translation

How come there is such a big town in the middle of the forest? I haven’t heard about it.

Use case

そんなケーキは美味しすぎるからたくさん食べたいよ。

4 Likes
T

Deep in the forest, there is a big town like this…did you hear about it too?

U

どんな弁当が欲しい?

UT

Today’s weather is cloudy, moreover it is getting cold.

Since that kind of cake tastes so good, I want to eat alot of it!

4 Likes
Summary

There is a big town in the depths of this forest… You haven’t heard about it?

4 Likes