GrammarInTheWild - October 2021

My father who died as a soldier had the same feeling as his grandchild I guess.

4 Likes
Translation

My father, who died as a soldier, may have felt like my (his?) grandchild does.

Use case

外国人として日本語のコンテキストの欠如はとても困っていることです。

Use case's translation

@s1212z ここは私の文です。
Here is my sentence.

4 Likes
T

As a soldier, my deceased father also may have felt the same as his grandchildren.

U

外国人として、知らない文化的ことが多い。

UT

As a foreigner, the lack of context in Japanese language is very troubling.

4 Likes
Summary

Like the death of a soldier, his (my father’s) grandchildren maybe feel the same (about their grandfather’s death, I assume he died so his grandchildren feel like their “soldier” died? I don’t know, I’m confused :thinking: )

4 Likes
T

Maybe my father who also died as a soldier felt the same as his grandson/daughter

Summary

This is kind of confusing. The speaker here seems to be the son or daughter of the father(私の父), but he/she is talking about their child in relation to the father, hence 孫 (grandchild). Not sure if it’s referring to plural grandchildren, but since there is no explicit plural suffix I’m going with there just being one.

Noun+として - in the role of (e.g. soldier)
かもしれません - maybe, perhaps

4 Likes
Summary

“He died (being) a soldier, maybe my father also felt the same as my grandson”

3 Likes

October 28th Translation

Notes :
For this one, It’s important to follow the subject of the sentence 私の父, and what they are being described as doing 同じ気持ちだった. It can be very difficult sometimes without punctuation, but in the first half of this sentence, 「軍人として死んだ私の父も」everything is describing the noun 父, so we have to assume that there is a second half to the sentence.

4 Likes

October 29th
わけではない

Text :
全ての菌を除菌するわけではありません。

5 Likes
Summary

This will not necessarily kill all bacteria.

ffs I'm not even drunk... but anyway, this is what the writer is thinking...

This won’t like 100% definitely get rid of all the bacteria, although tbf it’s gonna be a damn sight better than just using water or like, the condensation on your breath or whatever, so if you find a bacteria jumping around with his/her mates on your glasses after you’ve used our absolutely brilliant cleaner, please don’t sue us because we don’t have time for that and honestly here at the メガネクリーナー factory, we don’t really have any money anyway so there wouldn’t be any point. Cos then if you sue us we would have to close down and millions of people will be left with FILTHY glasses. Then you’ll soon realise you wanted us. You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone…
I mean, if people had dirty glasses, it would probably cause a load of car accidents and people would literally DIE! We here at the メガネクリーナー factory are literally saving lives by producing this product. I mean it. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of people alive today, who wouldn’t be if it wasn’t for this product. We are literally gods to you people.
Sorry… but my wife left me last week for someone who sells f*****g contact lenses…

7 Likes
Summary

“Does not eliminate all bacteria”

5 Likes
Translation

This does not mean it will kill all bacteria.

Use case

今全部を翻訳する時間がないことは今晩も時間がないわけではありません

Use case's translation

@s1212z 外国人として、知らない文化的ことが多い。
As a stranger, there are many cultural things I don’t know.

5 Likes

Eyeglass cleaner

Merits of the product [Is it a pun on the word 特徴?]
● It makes a lens spick and span, just effortlessly wipe fingerprints and sebum.
● It’s a quick-drying type, so you don’t need to wipe it with a dry cloth.
● Because of the individual package, it’s convenient to take it along.
● It has the disinfection effect, so it keeps glasses clean. ※It doesn’t mean it kills all bacteria.
● It’s made from ultra extra-fine fibers, so it doesn’t scratch your lens.
● It can be used for a mobile-phone screen too.

@Asher Please explain one more thing about the previous GITW, was it the speaker’s grandchild or his father’s one? :thinking:

4 Likes
Whose kid

Actually good question. Within the context of this particular story it was just a random grandchild (hence putting ‘the’ rather than ‘my’ or ‘his’ in the answer). The kid had boarded the ship as a guest with her grandmother and little sister. It was like a special tour type thing where VIP’s were being given a tour of a military vessel.
I had a bit of a chat with my partner about this one, and she seemed to think it was normal to use 孫 even if it is someone else’s grandchild, so long as there is some sort of context. The context here was that the speaker knew the old lady, so he was referring to ‘her’ grandchild.

4 Likes
Translation

It is not the case that this is a disinfectant for all fungus .

5 Likes

Translation attempt:

Summary

It does not mean that rubbing will disinfect all germs.

4 Likes
T

It doesn’t mean all germs are disinfected

U

お前は賢いからと言って、いつも正しくなるわけではない。通を気取るな。

UT

As for not having the time to translate right now, it doesn’t mean I don’t have the time to translate this evening

今僕も時間がない。

外国人

3 Likes

メガネクリーナー
特長
レンズの指紋.皮脂汚れを軽く拭くだけでスッキリ落とします。
速乾性のウェットタイプなので、から拭きはいりません。
個別包装ので、携帯に便利です。
除菌効果があるので、メガネを清潔に保ちます。※全ての菌を除菌するわけではありません。
レンズにキズがつきにくい超極細繊維を使用しています。
携帯電話の画面にも使用できます。

Full translation

メガネクリーナー
Glasses cleaner
特長
Features
レンズの指紋.皮脂汚れを軽く拭くだけでスッキリ落とします。
Completely cleanse fingerprint or sebum filth on lenses by just wiping lightly.
速乾性のウェットタイプなので、から拭きはいりません。
Because of the fast-drying wet-type (??), wiping with a dry cloth is not necessary.
個別包装ので、携帯に便利です。
Thanks to the individual packing, carrying is very handy.
除菌効果があるので、メガネを清潔に保ちます。※全ての菌を除菌するわけではありません。
Because of its disinfection effect, it keeps the glasses clean. This does not mean it will kill all germs.
レンズにキズがつきにくい超極細繊維を使用しています。
It uses super extra-fine fibre that hardly scratches lenses.
携帯電話の画面にも使用できます。
This can also be used on mobile phone’s screens.

4 Likes

October 29th Translation

Notes :
There are quite a few natural ways to translate this one in English! You could go with the ‘it is not the case’ like the original suggestion for this grammar point, or even something closer to simply ‘cannot’ would also be natural!

5 Likes

October 30th
ても

Text :
冷たいものを入れても結露しないので水滴で手を滑らせることを防ぎます!

Note :
You may notice that the kanji for 冷たい is a little bit different in the text on the label, than the text that has been typed. There are several kanji that are like this in Japanese, and it is just a small difference between the handwritten form, and the ‘type text’ form. The one on the right is the ‘type’ form, the one on the left is the ‘hand-written’ form.

5 Likes
Summary

Even if you put something cold inside, condensation won’t form, so it stops your hands from slipping from droplets of water.

5 Likes