GrammarInTheWild - October 2021

A new thread for a new month of grammar in the wild! Let’s kick it off with one of the most famous lines in manga history!

October 1st
もう

12 Likes
It's one of those things where the more simple a sentence is, the more daunting translations become for a beginner like me

Translation: “You’re already dead”

Maybe it’s closer to “You’re already dead, pal” in nuance? Anyway, I’m dead if I get this wrong, lol.

7 Likes
I don't know the context of this as I'm sure you all do, but...

Literal translation: You’re already dead
Nuanced translation: Ye mate I mean like don’t even think uv got a chance with me or wotevz cos I’m gonna deck the s**t out of u and ur gonna end up dead by the end of this encounter anyway so honestly like u might as well just come here right now and let me finish u off cos otherwise ur wasting both us times and I’m meeting my mate in the pub in half an hour and haven’t even had a shower yet.

Yeah… non-British people might not get my humour, so I’m sorry if that just wasn’t funny.

17 Likes

Not gonna lie, I laughed so damn hard :rofl:

8 Likes
Summary

You are already dead / You are dead already …?

My english isn’t perfect so I’m not sure if those are correct :sweat_smile:

8 Likes
Summary

“You’re already dead” :fist_right: :skull:

7 Likes

NANI?!
I feel like I’m cheating because I know this one thanks to the meme but…

Summary

“You are already dead/You have already died”

In the context of the scene, they guy who says this has hit the other guy so hard and fast that he’s already dead and hasn’t realized it yet - he dies a second later just in time to say the infamous “WHAT?!” that became part of the meme.
So, all those scene in anime or movies where cool character hits/slices a dude and they fall down with a delayed effect? This guy did it first!

7 Likes

That was brilliant :joy: It reminds me of the navy seal copy pasta (the “Japanese” version is even better).

8 Likes
Translation

8 Likes
Quickest translation ever :P

Get to da choppa! I mean… You’re already dead.

8 Likes

お前らはもう翻訳した。

(Sorry for omae-ing you all but gotta do what I gotta do for the memes, or something.)

12 Likes

:rofl: Trying to read that in my head with my partner’s South Yorkshire accent :joy:

5 Likes

Well I’m glad it went down well, and sorry for the disruption. Might try another one of these next time… but it probably won’t be as funny of I do it again.
@distantflower Try it in a thick Lancashire accent - preferably Chorley/Wigan. Even Manchester!

5 Likes
t

You’re already dead

Yes this is a simple translation, but all you learners should be proud that you can identify each part of the sentence! We’ve all come a long ways!! :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes
T

You are already dead…

U

おい、寝ている?おまえに起きされて、もう寝ていないよ。

7 Likes

You’re already dead…

Nani!?

7 Likes

October 1st Translation

Notes :
Something that can be really difficult as an English speaker is knowing when to use ~ている vs ~た for things that have already happened. Although not a set rule, ~ている will usually be used over ~た for things that cannot happen twice (unless through some sort of intervention).
落ちている (to be fallen and laying on the ground, can’t fall again because it’s already on the ground).
死んでいる (to be dead, and not be able to die again).
来ている (to have arrived, and not be able to arrive again).
行っている (to have gone, and not be able to go again).
This is not a strict rule, but helps quite often!

13 Likes

October 2nd
~は~となっている

Text :
ごみの収集に支障となりますので駐車はご遠慮ください。

Notes :
Another bit of fine print for this one with the original sign in the background. While this does not have the same exact structure as the grammar point in question, it is still the same grammar point. Try to think about the verb tense, and what it could mean in this case.

9 Likes
Rushed, need to leave for work in 5 min translation

Please refrain from parking here, so as not to obstruct garbage collection.

6 Likes

I am beyond stumped on に支障となりますので.

ugh

I can guess that this is related to garbage collection and trying to restrain from having an obstruction in the parking lot. This example is EXACTLY why grammar is so important hahaha, stumped again.

Can’t wait to see others’ guesses

6 Likes