Haruna's daily diary (reading practice)

Hi everybody, my name is Haruna.

Maybe some of you know me from doing the voice acting for many of the sentences on Bunpro. I am a Japanese native speaker. From today, I thought it would be fun to write a daily diary in Japanese. This will be talking about my daily life. Maybe it will be something that you can read and see lots of common Japanese words and sentences. I will add each new entry in this forum topic.

If you like, maybe you can try translating them. Unfortunately, I cannot correct them all, but I will enjoy reading everybody’s translations, and comment when I can… in Japanese. :relaxed:

五月五日:
今日は「こどもの日」という祝日だったので、学校やバイトには行かずに一日中ゆっくり過ごしていました。パートナーと会う予定があったので朝は早く起きましたが、それ以外はゴロゴロしていました。最近は暑かったり寒かったりで天気が安定していませんが、今日は初夏の陽気で、朝や夕方は涼しく、お昼間は少し汗ばむ陽気でした。家では今日の天気を踏まえて、家族と一緒に「どの季節がベストか」という話し合いをしました。私は迷わず「冬」と答えましたが、父は「秋」、母は「春」と答えました。私が冬を一番良い季節だと思う理由は、「クリスマスやお正月など楽しい行事が沢山あるから」です。父が秋を選んだ理由は、「夏は暑すぎるし冬は寒すぎる。春は花粉症で辛いから秋しか残っていないから」でした。母は「気温もちょうど良いし桜とかが咲いて雰囲気が明るいから」という理由で春を選んだそうです。日本はもうすぐで誰にも選ばれなかった夏になりますが、熱中症対策や日焼け対策をしながら、なるべく夏を楽しみたいと思っています。

224 Likes

Cool idea. I tried my best, though translating Japanese to English is pretty tough.

5th of May:
Today was Children’s Day, so I passed the whole day relaxing, without going to school or work. I had planned a meeting with my partner, so I got up early, but except for that I was idle. Lately the weather was unstable, changing from hot to cold, but today the early summer’s weather felt cool in the morning and evening, and a little humid during the day. Because of today’s weather, I discussed what is the best season with my family at home. I answered without hesitation that’s it’s winter, my father said autumn, and mother replied spring. The reason why I think winter is the best, is because there are a lot of fun events like Christmas or New Year. Father chose autumn, because winter is too cold, summer is too hot, and spring brings a tough hay fever, so only autumn is left. Mother chose spring because of the nice temperature, blooming cherries, and cheerful ambience. Soon chosen by noone summer will come to Japan, so I will try to enjoy it as much as possible, taking measures against heatstroke or sunburn.

14 Likes

Hi Haru. I think this is a great idea, and I enjoyed reading your entry. It’s nice to get to read about everyday things in Japanese, which I think is very useful. I would love if you continued to do this.

8 Likes

This is extremely helpful, thank you! I hope you can continue doing it.

5 Likes
My translation

Today was “children’s day” so I had a day off from university and my part time job. I did get up early to meet with my partner but otherwise spend the whole day relaxing at home. Though the weather has been all over the place lately, today had the feel of early summer where the morning and evening are a bit chilly but around noon it’s warm enough to break a sweat. With today’s weather in mind we ended up talking about our favorite seasons of the year. My favorite is definitely winter but dad opted for fall and mom prefers spring.
What I like about winter are the many nice events like Christmas and New Year’s.
Dad said for him there isn’t even really any choice because winter and summer are just too hot and cold, and in spring he always suffers from hay fever. For mom spring’s temperatures are just about right and she likes the blooming cherry trees and the springy atmosphere with the days getting brighter. In Japan it’ll soon be the summer none of us really wanted, but I’ll try to enjoy it as much as I can while avoiding heat strokes and sunburn.

英語もまだまだだし、なれてないから、翻訳は難しいですね🙃

6 Likes

8 Likes

I LOVE this idea! In addition to being a bit of entertainment, it’s good practice from a reliable source! :blush:

I do want to point out to people, though, that reading skill and translation are two very different skills, and folks shouldn’t feel overly compelled to translate if they don’t want to-- It can definitely be good practice, but leave it for the tryhards! :laughing: Nobody has anything to prove to anyone here, and translation can be a lot of work. :wink:

Happily, I personally didn’t have too much trouble with today’s entry; my main point of trouble, as ever, was just my kanji literacy. Nothing another tab open with jisho.org can’t fix, though! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you for starting this project, Haruna-san! これから楽しみにしてます!

12 Likes

日記書くを読んでくださり、そしてわざわざ翻訳までしてくれてありがとうございます! :relaxed:

翻訳を読むのとても楽しかったです!私にとって、英語の勉強にもなりました :pencil2:

9 Likes

日記を読んでくれてありがとうございます :relaxed:
これから出来る限り毎日続けていく予定なので、これからもよろしくお願いします :sparkles:

5 Likes

読んでくれてありがとうございます :relaxed:
これからも楽しみにしていて下さい!

5 Likes

日記を読んでくれてありがとうございます!
わざわざ時間をかけて翻訳してくれ事も、とても嬉しいです :relaxed: :sparkles:

6 Likes

少し悲しい理由ですよね :joy:

3 Likes

コメントありがとうございます :relaxed:
日記を楽しんで頂けて嬉しいです!これからも続けますので、楽しみにしていて下さい :sparkles:

3 Likes

本当ですか?ごめんなさい。冗談だと思いていました。 :sweat:

僕も秋が一番好きな季節ですけれども、別の理由です。涼しい天気や紅葉という理由ですよ。:dash: :maple_leaf: :laughing:

8 Likes

父にとってはそれが本当の理由です :joy:

確かに秋って涼しいし紅葉も綺麗だしとても良い季節ですよね!
私は紅葉の時期に山登りをするのが好きです :relaxed: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf:

5 Likes

僕の場合はHaruさんと同じく、冬が一番好きな季節ですよ。でも大違って、僕の理由は「ウザイ虫や他の生き物が皆々死んでくたばれ!」のような感じです :rofl: あと、超熱いのと超寒いの、どっちが好みと聞いたら、僕は必ず超寒いのを選ぶ。

もと沼地の上に発展した町に生まれ育っていたから、虫が家に侵略するのがもうごめんです。だから北の地に引っ越したのです。二度と対応したくありまセン。

4 Likes

冬が好きなの同じですね! :laughing: :snowflake:
私も超暑いのか超寒いのどっちがいいか聞かれたら、絶対に超寒いのを選びます!
虫が出ないのも良いですよね!日本では夏になると蝉(せみ)が大量に発生するので、今からそれが怖いです :persevere:

5 Likes

Awesome idea!
I’m sad no one choose summer.
私は季節の中で夏が一番好きです。

4 Likes

夏が一番好きなんですね!
私も夏の雰囲気や夏服はとても好きですが、近年の猛暑に耐えられません… :dizzy_face: :sun_with_face:

4 Likes

多分誰も夏を選ばなかった理由は、「これは日本」という考え方で区別していた。湿気が高すぎるし、家から出たくなくなるし、別の国の夏だったら選んだはずだった。 :rofl:

本当に一分でも家を出てしまったら、「シャワーを浴びなきゃな~」って感じになるくらい。

7 Likes