Haruna's short story (reading and listening practice)

質問があります。「電線に遮られた光線」は何ですか?月光?

翻訳

第三話:

視線を直してみると、その女性は単に自分の周りの世界に無関心であるのではなく、心のどこかで「特に見るべきものはない」と判断しているように見えた。

When I returned my gaze, the woman appeared that she was not simply apathetic towards the world around her, but rather that somewhere in her heart she had decided “There is nothing I need to see”.

彼女が電線に遮られた光線を見つめ続けていた時、(まぁ、彼女を責めるなんてできないわ)と思った。

While the woman continued staring at the beam of light blocked by power lines, I thought to myself, “Well, I can’t really blame her.”

そして、見つめるなんて失礼だと自分に言い聞かせると、私は家への道を歩き始め、バレないようにしながら彼女の横を通り過ぎる時にもう一度私の周囲に視線をやった。

Then, when I told myself that staring is rude, I began walking home along the road, and while passing her and trying not to get caught, I once again looked at my surroundings.

たった10メートルほど歩いたところで、ふと、彼女が座っているところから、しっかりとした、でもどこか優しい声が聞こえてきた。

After walking a mere 10 meters or so, suddenly I heard a firm but somehow kind voice coming from where she was sitting.

「そろそろ時間かな…よっこらしょ…あ、腰が…」今月見るであろう唯一のちょっと変わったものを最後にもう一度見てみたいという衝動が抑えきれなくなって、私はその女性の方を向いた。

“I guess it’s about time…alley-oop…ah, my hip…”, she said, and becoming unable to restrain my urge to see the only strange thing I will see this month until the end, I turned toward the woman.

(え!少なくとも195センチはあるでしょ!)そう頭の中で叫びながら、同じように顔に出ようとしているその驚きを抑えようとした。

“Wow! She is probably at least 195cm!” I shouted inside my head, while trying to hide my surprised expression.

4 Likes

Slysoftさん、質問と翻訳をありがとうございます :laughing: :sparkles:

私がこれを書いていた時は 日の入り前の太陽の微かな光を思い浮かべていましたが、特に言及していないため、月光でも街灯の光でも、なんでも当てはまると思います。 :sun_behind_large_cloud: :full_moon:

2 Likes

第四話:

お婆さんは私の存在には気が付かないようで、彼女はサッと腕時計を見て私がちょうどきたばかりの方向をゆっくりと歩き始めた。(ああ〜なんで私がたった今見ているものを見ている人が他にいないんだろう!私が今度ヒトミとエリに会った時、二人がこの話を信じてくれるわけないし。もう長いこと自分の人生に楽しいことは起こらないと諦めている人の必死な嘘のように聞こえるだろう。)ああ、なんて惨めな考えなのだろう。ともかく、彼女がそっちの方向に向かっているのなら、加工工場を通り過ぎる時に何回か見られる事になるだろう。「ふふふっ」聳え立って見えるほど大きなお婆さんがぶらぶら歩いている様子を見た逞しい工場労働者の顔を想像するだけで笑いを押し殺さなければならなかった。1秒も経たないうちに、お婆さんがさっきまで座っていたところから刺すようなギラギラとした光が目に飛び込んできた。(あ!お婆さんは何かを忘れたみたい!)切り株に向かって不恰好に半分走りつつ半分歩きつつ、私はそう自分に呟いた。分かるでしょ、車があなたが道路を渡り終えるのを待っている時に道路を渡る時にするあのよたよた歩き…。切り株の目の前で立ち止まって、さっきのギラギラとした光の元を見つけるためにかなり節がある木の根を凝視した。

Click for today's translation (今日の翻訳)

Appearing to have taken no notice of me, she briefly looked at her watch, and then started to walk at a leisurely pace in the direction from which I had just come. ‘Whyyy is there nobody else around to see what I am seeing right now! There is no way that Hitomi or Eri will believe me next time I see them. It will just seem like the desperate lie of someone who has long since given up on anything exciting happening in their life’. Wow…, what a miserable thought that is. In any case, if she’s heading in that direction, I’m sure she’ll get a few stares passing the fabrication plant. ‘pffffffft’, I had to stifle a laugh just imagining the look on the burly factory worker’s faces seeing a towering grandma strolling past. Just in that fraction of a second, the piercing brightness of glare caught me in the eye from where the woman had been sitting. ‘Oh! It looks as though she’s left something behind’, I muttered to myself as I did a clumsy half-run half-walk over to the tree stump. You know, the type of awkward waddle people do while crossing the street when a car is waiting for you to get off the road… Stopping just short of the stump, I started to peer around the somewhat knurled roots for the source of the glare from a moment ago.

10 Likes

質問があります。この話には私が見たことない言葉をよく出ます。例えば、「見つめる」じゃなくて、「凝視する」という言葉を使いました。こんな言葉は、Haruさんは日常生活で使いますか?それとも、文語的な言葉を選びましたか?

4 Likes

Slysoftさん、質問ありがとうございます! :blush: :sparkles:

日常生活で私が使うなら、100%「見つめる」を使います。
しかし、このような文章では「凝視する」は頻繁に使われる単語です。私の日記の方との差別化を図るために、この物語の方では、文語的な表現をよく使うようにしています!

3 Likes

ちなみに、この物語は私にとっても結構 難しく、この投稿の準備のために、毎回新しい英単語を学んでいます。 :memo: :face_with_monocle:

study_night_girl

これまでに学んだ英単語は、
第一話から
uneventful, muffled, newlyweds, grunt, squeak, hinge, drown out, clang, plot,
第二話から
out of the ordinary, skin crawl, contemplate, stump, dexterity, excitable, to top it all off, canary, blush, power line, indication
などなど…。

私も、みなさんが日本語を勉強しているように、英語の勉強を頑張ります! :writing_hand: :fire:

11 Likes

第五話:

間もなくして、私の目は2本の根の間に置かれている長方形の物体に留まった。20センチ×10センチくらいの大きさで、動物の皮のようなもの、でも一度も見たことが無いような動物から出来ている。そして、三つの内ポケットは精巧な留め具によって固定されている。当の留め具には、革の側面に渦巻き模様が描かれており、上部ではその波が砕け、反対側の別の波を巻き込んでいる。これは明らかに100円ショップのものではない。財布のようなものであろうと推論したものを手に取った後、女性に声をかけるために頭を上げた。「すみませ…って、あれ?!」お婆さんがどこにもいないだけでなく、今や歩道には何人かの人がいて、その人たちの顔からは何か変わったものを見たという様子が全く見られなかった。心の奥底から込み上げてくる不安のせいでその財布を力強く握っていたことに気がついたのは、冷静さをほとんど取り戻してからだった。

Before long, my eyes rested upon a rectangular object sitting between two roots. About 20 by 10 centimeters, made of what appeared to be some type of animal leather…, but no animal I’ve ever seen…, and three internal pockets held in place by an elaborate clasp. The clasp in question had a maelstrom design running down the side of the leather with the top shooting out into a breaking wave that wrapped around another wave on the other side of the lock. Clearly this wasn’t from a 100¥ shop. After picking up what I deduced could only be some kind of purse, I lifted my head back up to call out to the lady. ‘Excu… Huh?!’. Not only was she nowhere to be seen, but there were now several other people walking along the footpath without showing even the faintest sign that they had seen anything out of the ordinary. It was only after I had mostly regained my composure that I realized that I was holding the purse quite tightly due to the uneasy feeling beggining to creep into the back of my mind.

7 Likes

第六話:

一体あんな1秒にも満たない短時間で彼女がどこへ消えることが出来るというのだろう…そして、この人たちはどこから来たのだろう…?!これから頭痛が来る気がして、一生懸命そんな事をくよくよと考えないようにした。たぶん自分が気づいた以上に長い間、財布の留め具をじっと見ていたことだろう。少しの間、渦が動いているのを見たって誓う事だって出来たけど。もう一度渦を見てみると、それは完全にそのままじっとしていて…って、もちろん動かないんだけど、だってただの金属の留め具でしょ?うーん、どうしよう、どうしよう?えーっと、ここから二通りほど先に、コンビニの向かい側に交番があるし、たぶん そこで渡せるかな。この辺りにあのお婆さんが住んでいるとは思えないけど、でも、もしかしたら財布の中にはお婆さんと連絡がとれて無事に財布を届けられるような、特定のための情報があるかもしれない。お巡りさんにそれを届けるのが一番良い行動だろうと判断して、私はその方向へと歩き始めた。お婆さんが本当に行ってしまったのかもう一度確認しようと10秒ごとにひっきりなしに辺りを見渡さなかったと言ったら嘘を付いていることになるけど。

Where in the world could she have disappeared to in that fraction of a second…, and where did these other people come from?! I’m starting to feel a headache coming on, best not to dwell on it. I was probably just staring at the clasp for longer than I realized. Though I could have sworn that I saw the vortex moving for a moment. Looking at it again, I must have just been seeing things, it is completely still… I mean, of course it’s completely still, it’s just a metal clasp right? Hmmm, what to do what to do? Well, there is a police box 2 streets from here across the road from the convenience store, I guess I could hand it in there. I highly doubt she lives in this area, but maybe there is some identification information inside that the officers can use to contact her and make sure she gets her purse back. Having decided that handing it over to the authorities would be the best course of action, I set off in that direction. Although I would be lying if I said that I didn’t incessantly look over my shoulder every 10 seconds to double check that she really was gone.

9 Likes

どんどん面白くなています。毎日みんなに書いてくれてありがとうございます。

5 Likes

こちらこそ、毎日読んでくれてありがとうございます!嬉しいです :blush:

5 Likes

第七話:

交番についた後、これから手渡そうとしている物について、「お婆さんがそれを置いていくのを見て、でも、彼女が消えてしまった」と言うよりもマシな話を考えようとして、少しの間立ち止まった。想像力が乏しい私にとって、それは予想以上に難しい事だった。まあ、ただお婆さんを見失ってしまったと言えばいいのだろう。それならそんなに怪しまれないだろうし…。私はドアを開けて、吐き気を催しそうなほど古臭い空気の中を真っ直ぐ歩いて行った。(やれやれ、あまり人は立ち寄らないのだろう)と思ったが、直ぐに30代前半と思われる若い警察官が、報告書が入っているであろう箱に足を引っ掛けて入ってきた事に注意が動いた。「原田さん!ちょうど電話をしようとしていたところです!」と彼は、自分の胸元を見ながら少し恐怖を感じているような声で私に言った。私は出来るだけ申し訳なさそうな声で、「あの…すみません。これを渡しに来ただけなのですが…。」と答えた。バッジを直すのに忙しそうにしていたその若い男性が顔を上げた時、彼の目には今日の勤務を始めた時に一番期待していなかったであろうものが入ってきた。それは間違いなく、原田さん以外の人である。

After arriving at the police box, I paused for a moment while trying to come up with a better story for the object that I was about to hand in than ‘I saw an old lady leave it behind but then she disappeared’. Having a fairly average imagination, this was proving to be harder than I expected. Well, I could just tell them that I lost sight of her. Surely it doesn’t sound that suspicious… I opened the door and walked straight through a sheet of stale air that almost made me gag. ‘Jeez, I guess they don’t have many people stop by here’, I thought to myself before my attention was whisked away by the sight of a young officer that appeared to be in his early thirties stumbling into the room after catching his foot on a box of what I can only assume were various reports. ‘Mr Harada! I was just about to call you!’, he said directed towards his chest with a slight tinge of fear in his voice. In the most apologetic voice I could muster, I replied with ‘Ummm, sorry… I just came to report this item…’. Having been busy readjusting his badge, the young man looked up for the first time to see what I am guessing was the last thing he expected when he started his shift today… Absolutely anybody that wasn’t Mr Harada.

9 Likes

第八話:

「あぁ…本当にすみません。あなたが…。」「原田さんだと思っていたんですか?」私は彼が喋り終わる前にニヤッとしながら口を挟んだ。「ははは、そうですね…。」そう彼は帽子の角で頭を掻きながら答えた。部屋の奥の方にある机の後ろから椅子を引き出して、彼は座りながら「えーっと、それでは、何か御用ですか?」と尋ねた。私は、「大したことはなくて、ただこの見つけた財布を渡したいだけです。」と、(報告書なんて書きたくない…報告書なんて書きたくない…)と、間違えて儀式用の服の代わりに手頃な価格の女性用のブレザーを着たシャーマンのように頭の中で唱えながら言った。「大丈夫です。この報告書に記入してもらうだけです。」彼がそう言い終わるや否や、私は苛立ちが高まっていくのを感じた。「そうですよね…もちろん…さっさと出来ますか?すぐに友達と会う用事があるので。」これは嘘だった。「あなたの協力があれば、出来るだけ早く完成させられますよ。」私はその返事は彼の嘘だったと思う。彼は、彼とは向かい側にある埃まみれの席に向かってジェスチャーをした。私は、自分の良い行いに対するご褒美として絶対に帰りに赤ワインを買うぞという考えで自分を楽しませつつ、頼り甲斐のなさそうな木製の椅子を引き出して座った。

‘Oh… I’m terribly sorry, I thought you were’, ‘Mr. Harada?’, I interrupted with a slight grin before he could finish his sentence. ‘Haha… right…’, he replied while scratching his head with the corner of his hat. Pulling out a chair behind the desk toward the back of the room, he sat as he asked ‘Well then, what can I do for you?’. ‘Nothing serious… I just wanted to hand in this wallet that I found’, I said while chanting ‘please don’t make me fill out a report, please don’t make me fill out a report’ in my head like some shaman who had accidentally mistaken their ceremonial robes for a reasonably priced women’s blazer. ‘No problem, I’m just going to need you to fill out this report’. I could feel my frustration building as soon as he finished his sentence. ‘Right… of course… can we do it quickly? I have plans to meet a friend soon’. That was a lie. ‘Your cooperation will help me get it completed as fast as I can’. I suspect that reply was a lie on his part too. He gestured toward the dust covered seat across from him at the front of the table. Amusing myself with the thought that I would definitely buy a bottle of red wine on the way home tonight as a reward for my good deed, I pulled out the unconvincingly assembled wooden stool and sat down.

10 Likes

第九話:

名前と連絡先、そして財布を見つけた場所の詳細などを報告書に記入すると、お巡りさんは私からペンと紙をとり、書類に目を通し始めた。「えー、全てしっかり書かれているようですね…。」と言いながら紙の上の方にもう一度目をやり、「あかねさん。」と言い切った。そして彼は「通常の手順では、持ち物の所有者と連絡が取れるかどうかを確認し、数ヶ月経っても連絡が取れない場合は、所有権をあなたに譲ることとなっています。」と言った。私は冗談まじりに「お願いです。そんな事をする必要はありません。持ち主と連絡が取れなければ、廃棄して下さい。」と答えた。しかし正直なところ、今日の出来事は夢だったと思い込んだ時のために、この証拠となるものを持っておきたいと思う自分もいた。ぼんやりと窓の外に視線を移した私は、財布の中から身分証と思われるものをくまなく探しているお巡りさんの方にゆっくりと顔を戻した。突然、彼は困惑した表情を浮かべて、私の方を見て「すみません、これは冗談か何かですか?」と言った。そして、苛立ち気味に「この財布の中の身分証は全てあなたのもののようなのですが。」と付け加えた。

Upon filling out my name, contact details, and the particulars of where I found the purse on the report, the officer took the pen and paper back from me and began to scan the document. ‘Well, everything looks in order ummm…’, he looked back at the top of the paper ‘Ms Akane’ he finished. ‘According to usual procedure, we will see if we are able to contact the owner, and then if we have been unable to get in touch with them after several months, we’ll defer ownership of the goods to you’. I jokingly replied with ‘Please, there is really no need for that. If the owner cannot be contacted just discard it’. To be honest though, there was a small part of me that wouldn’t mind having some form of evidence of today for when I end up convincing myself that it was a strange dream. Having absentmindedly shifted my gaze out the window, I slowly turned my head back toward the young man who had just begun rummaging through the purse for what I assume was identification. Suddenly having an extremely puzzled look on his face, he looked back at me and said ‘I’m sorry, but is this some kind of joke?’. ‘All of the identification in this purse appears to be yours’, he added with a tinge of annoyance.

6 Likes

やはりこの物語は面白いですね :star_struck: 毎日読むのが大好きです!

質問が二つあります。
一つは:「第九話」の読み方は何ですか?「だいくわ」ですか?「だいくはなし」ですか?
二つは:忘れ物の所有権を譲る事は日本で本当にそういうことはありますか?

いつも書いてくれてありがとうございます :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

NayraDCさん、今日もコメントありがとうございます! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sunny:

・「第九話」は「だいきゅうわ」と読みます。
・警察庁のサイトを確認したところ、三ヶ月以内に持ち主が見つからなかった場合、所有権が落とし物を見つけた人に移るようです。
警察から返還の連絡がなく、3か月経過... 拾得者が所有権を取得

そして、いつも読んでくれてありがとうございます :laughing:

3 Likes

【番外編】
この小説を書くにあたって私が最近学んだ英単語は… :memo:

anki_card

tinge(色合い、気味), rummage(くまなく探す、あさる), absentmindedly(ぼんやりと、うわの空で), defer(延期する、保留する、委ねる), unconvincing(説得力がない、頼れない), deed(行い、行動), chant(唱える), grin(にっこり、ニヤッと笑う), whisk (名: 泡立て器/素早い動き、動: さっと動かす/泡立てる)…などです。

難しいです… :nerd_face:

3 Likes

第十話:

お巡りさんは、財布の中から三枚のカードを私に差し出した。運転免許証、年齢を証明するためのカード、そして…パイロットの免許証?!私は胃が痛くなるのを感じた。誰かが私のことをストーカーしていたのだろうか?私の顔が見るからに青白くなったため、お巡りさんの口調からは直ぐにさっきまでの苛立ちが消えた。「奥さん、これも…」と言いながら、お巡りさんは私に名刺ほどの大きさの小さな封筒を渡した。そこには、「あかねへ」と私の手書きの文字によく似た文字で書かれていた。色々なシナリオが私の頭の中で駆け巡ったが、しかし、何よりも、(ここから出なければ。)という思いが一番強かった。「えーっと…時間を無駄にさせてしまって本当に申し訳ないのですが、友達のうちの一人が細工した悪ふざけに違いありません。」そんな事はあり得ないのだが、私はただ出来るだけ早くここから出るための十分な口実が必要だった。お巡りさんは答えを探すようにさっと私の方を見た後、ため息をついてカード類を全て綺麗に財布に戻した。お巡りさんは財布を私に渡しながら、「次回は警察の力を使わないような悪ふざけを考えるようにと友達に言っておいて下さい」と言った。私は丁寧に頷いて、混乱に溺れそうになっている自分を救うために外の新鮮な空気を吸おうという必死な気持ちでドアの方を向いた。

The man presented 3 of the cards from within the purse to me. A driver’s license, proof of age card, and… pilot’s license?! I felt sick to my stomach. Was someone stalking me? Due to how visibly pale I must have looked, the officer quickly lost the previous annoyance from his tone. ‘Ma’am, there’s also this…’, he said as he handed me a small envelope no bigger than a business card. ‘To Akane’ it read in what admittedly looked very similar to my own handwriting. So many different scenarios were running through my head, but more than any of that, the thought that was most present in my mind was ‘I need to get out of here’. ‘Umm… I am terribly sorry for wasting your time officer, this must be a practical joke that one of my friends cooked up’. There was no way that this was the case, I just needed a good enough excuse to leave as soon as I could. The officer looked at me momentarily as if searching for an answer before sighing and neatly packing the items back into the purse. ‘Please tell your friends to think of jokes that don’t use up police resources next time’, he said as he handed the purse back to me. I nodded politely and turned toward the door, desperate to get out and take a deep breath of fresh air to save me from the confusion that I felt like I was drowning in.

8 Likes

I’m a native english speaker and forgot even what ‘tinge’ and ‘defer’ meant for a second aha.

2 Likes

SoreWaMaichiruさん、コメントありがとうございます!滅多に使わない言葉だと、母国語でも思い出せないことありますよね :joy:

3 Likes

第十一話:

ドアを開けて外に出ると、蝶番が軋む音が、入ってきた時の100倍以上はあるような気がした。それはほとんど、交番へ行っても何も助けてもらえなかった人たちの悲鳴のように聞こえた。(ははは、少なくとも、私のユーモアのセンスはまだ健在だ。)と思い、膝に手を置いて前かがみになったが、新鮮な空気を顔に感じて安心した。何度か深呼吸をしてから自分の手元を見ると、手紙が財布と自分の親指の間に挟まっていることに気がついた。(そうか、きっとこれには筋の通った理由があるのだろう、ただ手紙を開ければいいんだ。)姿勢を正し、親指の下から手紙を取り出して、もう一度見てみた。(間違いない。これは自分の文字だ。)と、信じられない思いでいた。その小さな封筒をめくると、それは蝋で封をされ、その封をされた時にエンブレムがうねってしまったという事に気づいた。財布と同じように、そのシンボルは外側に渦を巻いているように見えたが、中央には「H」の文字が浮かび上がっている。

Pushing through the door to the outside, I felt like the creak of the hinges was 100 times more obvious than when I came in. Almost to the point where it sounded like the screams of eveyone who had gone there and not received any help whatsoever. ‘Haha, at least my sense of humor is still intact’ I thought to myself as I placed my hands on my knees, hunched over but relieved to feel fresh air on my face. Having taken a few deep breaths, I looked down at my hand, noticing that the letter was still lodged between my thumb and the purse. ‘Okay, surely there is some logical reason for all of this, I should just open the letter’. Straightening my posture, I pulled the letter out from underneath my thumb, looking at it one more time. ‘There’s no doubt, this is my own writing’, I thought to myself in disbelief. Flipping over the small envelope, I noticed that it was sealed with wax and had some kind of emblem meandering its way through the substance at the time of its pressing. Just like the purse itself, the symbol apparead to be a vortex spiraling outward, but with a prominent letter ‘H’ in the center.

6 Likes