Have you done your BunPro Review today?

Nice, keep that streak rolling! That’s the way to do it :+1:

4 Likes

Not much progress today. Waiting for WK to level up in a few days :grin:

• Mistakes on conjugation again, this time おくる. Really need to practice those conjugations :disappointed_relieved:
  • My ghosts went down, I’ll add 3 new lessons tonight.
  • The books I ordered, A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar and Nihongo So-matome JLPT N5 have arrived. I’ll read them tonight when I had time.
  • I found out that Japanese Core 1000 step 5 has a lot of vocabulary not taught on my level on WK yet, so I’m having trouble to come up with good mnemonics. I’m not really creative with that :sweat_smile:
2 Likes

@Gqad Great job! I hope to join you in the next couple of weeks!

As for me, no lessons yesterday. I’m not sure exactly what to do about this. Except banning myself from checking the WK forum until I’ve done my lessons, I certainly spend a lot of time there but it should come after finishing reviews and doing lessons, not just after reviews.

Did reviews in both places (BP and WK) and even did an evening review. Although it was very light on WK for some reason, and so was this morning. :open_mouth: Not that I’m complaining!

1 Like

My number of Bunpro reviews the last two days has really shot down… which means it’s time to add new lessons :frowning: WK is going fine… apart from as I’m guru-ing the kanji for this level, my number of vocab lessons keeps going up… I have 75 I’ve yet to do. Torii is still fun, although I should learn to just do the reviews once a day, as I like to do them in one big session. Still trying to add the maximum number of items per day on that, as I know most of the words already (since it’s starting on the N5 vocab), but the few I don’t know always take me a while to learn.

1 Like

WK level up, 70 new lessons are waiting. I’m going to take it slow since I’ve got many apprentices.

• I got 1 mistake for BP, conjugation :sweat_smile: Failed to conjugating negative verb and てすみません
  • Not going to add new lessons today since I haven’t fully memorized あまり~ない、のように/な、まで

Going to use cram again today.

1 Like

Got the 20k badge yesterday. I did my reviews on WK and BP, but no lessons. This is starting to be a streak of no lessons… :frowning:

3 Likes

That’s okay every once in a while too as long as you’re zeroing out your reviews! I’m also on a couple days with no lessons because I’m trying to process the vocab jump from N5 to N4 and wait for a spot where my WK reviews are lower than average. The weekend is always a great time to get yourself in gear again.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement! You are absolutely right.

With myself, I know that if I let myself go too long, it is very hard to get back up. That said, I just finished two BP lessons. :slight_smile:

1 Like

^ Too many days of no lessons means you get out of the habit though…

Speaking of which, I did my first BunPro lessons in 11 days today >_< Was good to get back on things. Also progressed with WK and Torii. Didn’t add as many WK vocab lessons as I wanted to, probably about 10, so I’ve still got 70 lessons to tackle >_<

Did some hiragana handwriting which was my Japanese class homework,it’s good to be reminded of it, and I still struggle a lot writing そ and also す to a lesser extent.

Tried to pick up the “naze, doushite” book from the WK bookclub again, read 4 pages with a lot of help from the thread (I see some grammar points are later in the N4 section of BP), but still about 30-40 pages behind where they are currently reading, I need to make it a regular habit, otherwise I’ll never catch up… this kindof reading is difficult, a lot more so than NHK Easy News, I guess also cuz I read that on Tangoristo, where you can click on words. Also, with more hiragana and less kanji, sometimes it’s hard to decipher words and realise what bit is what. I made an order on Amazon for a couple of graded readers and the next WK bookclub manga, so hopefully I’ll find one of those graded readers easier going, as this book is often a struggle!

2 Likes

Done WK and BP today.

• Added 15 more lessons to WK
  • I still don’t understand how to use ーよう and ーおう, I’ll read more of them tonight.
  • No lessons on BP today, I’ll use my time for watching some anime instead :sweat_smile:
  • I’ve decided to ditch renshuu and go with iKnow instead.

No lesson day is good, you can focus on other things like vocabulary building or reading that you think you’re behind. You can also do some kanji writing practice. According to iKnow, I still have 500 more vocabulary words for N5 to learn :disappointed_relieved:

Yesterday I bought the Japanese Reader collection from thejapanshop.com, it’s quite good with many explanation. I can read it on my kindle. However, many vocabulary words I don’t know yet. I think the white rabbit one is easier to read even the N4 stories.

1 Like

5 lessons on WK (4 vocab, 1 kanji) to do something. 2 lessons on BP. Reviews, of course.

I read a 10ish page Grade 0 reader, it was mostly pictures with 1-3 lines per page. Mostly saying things like “This is a red flower.” ^^ But I could read it and only needed to look up the words for the flowers.

@jamie, how much have you read of the collection, or did you only sample it so far? I think it looks good, but would rather know from someone who’ve read some of it.

2 Likes

Only sample it so far, you’ll get 9 ebooks in epub, mobi, and pdf formats. The first PDF has 4 stories, 120 pages, divided into three sections: story + explanation, story in japanese only, and summary to check for comprehension.

I think it’s good for extensive and intensive reading but it’s more challenging than white rabbit series (I can easily read level 0-2). It also comes with two modes of mp3 narration (slow and normal pace). It also has N4 grammar points I haven’t learned yet. I will read it again after I have completed N4 vocabulary words on iKnow and N4 grammar points on BP. For now I’ll stick to white rabbit one.

White rabbit series is better, has pictures, fun and easier to read. For white rabbit series, I think you can go with level 1 if you have finished all N5 grammar points.

3 Likes

Reviews on all sorts. Still struggle a little on one of my recent BP grammar points, with basically which form of the verb to use before the なさい, I remember now, but will I next time? Didn’t add any BP lessons today, but did add 30 on Torii, and 20 or so vocab on WK.

1 Like

Morning!

• At last, I hit 0 review on BP today! Though I still have 14 items on WK. Hard to do it without my eyeglasses. Headache :cry: And I’ve abandoned my Anki 10k & my kanji handwriting practice for a week maybe :sob:
  • Study Streak 66. :sunglasses:
  • I want to read DBJG but yeah :cry: I hope my new eyeglasses will be ready in 10 days or even sooner. Feels bad not to post here everyday when I did my review on BunPro everyday.
  • Oh, by the way, this 100% is just a coincidence :thinking:

6 Likes

I have zeroed WK lessons, but 16 kanji left are not coming yet.
Did BP, level up to 29. I had less reviews recently so I’ll add three more lessons today.

• Had annoying ghosts from みたいに/みたいな and のように/のような
  • I haven’t quite mastered feeling grammar がる、がする, need to revise them tonight.
  • Casual volitional forms are really annoying, I can’t seem to remember how to conjugate them properly. Do JLPT tests have one of these? I probably would never use it in real life since I deal with business settings.
2 Likes

I was almost at zero ghosts, so yesterday and this morning together I’ve made 6 mistakes (and not on ghosts…). Ah well…

Anyway, only reviews yesterday on BP and WK. Lately, my days have been very high energy and then super low energy the next day. I hate when this happens, it is like a vicious cycle of getting stuff done and then nothing, then needing to make up and then falling down again, and more make up and getting behind. Hopefully four days of up, down, up, and down ends the cycle and I can have a more medium amount of energy. Getting stuff done but not super human. ^^

1 Like

Haven’t been checking in every day, but I have been studying!

Did my BP reviews, been getting 70-75% which I isn’t great but it’s better than the ~50% week I had a while back. Resetting/re-studying my problem grammar points really helps. I recently reached level 43/100k EXP but at this rate I won’t be level 100 for a loooooong time even when N1 stuff comes out haha.

I’m 120 lessons/4 days away from being done with N2 vocab on Torii! I’m going traveling this weekend so I probably won’t get them all done, but it’s still exciting! I wonder if I can get N1 vocab done before my birthday…

Finished the 1-26 sections of Kanzen Master N2 that covered grammar that meant similar things. Now I have to go through A-G sections where it differentiates grammar that have similar forms. (Like all the grammar points that contain もの or こと。There’s so many! :scream:) Definitely a weak spot for me so I’m excited to be strengthening it.

5 Likes

Sounds about right to me :wink:

Every time I get something wrong (as in, “yeah I really wouldn’t have thought of this answer on my own”), I just tell myself, I’d rather learn in 文プロ than in a real-world conversation… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m sensing a pattern…
Though N5 doesn’t really count because I artificially mastered most of them.

2 Likes

Tried to add lessons on Bunpro yesterday but the first item was こと… and… I just didn’t understand how to use it from the example sentences and what it added… looking at the links provided took me to a comparison to another grammar point, and another link to stuff which just said “verb normaliser” or “turns a verb into a noun”, but from the example sentences in BP, I couldn’t really see what it was doing it all… in quite a lot of cases, it turned a noun into a verb using する then back into noun with こと so I didn’t see why you would do that all… so then I gave up and should come back to it another day, but I worry I won’t understand it now.

Tried doing my Torii reviews on “mixed” instead of doing JP -> Eng first, then Eng -> Jap, so I wasn’t always just recalling the word one way round from the previous review.

3 Likes