Have you done your BunPro Review today?

Been keeping up with my Japanese reviews today, but that’s about it. :smiley: Doubt I’ll be doing much grammar this weekend, so it’s review maintenance until fresh back into everything on Monday.

Enjoy your weekend, all!

4 Likes

Tried to add new lessons on BP yesterday but failed. I think the grammar points are getting more complicated and I need to do some associated reading about them to really grasp them. First one was たら which TaeKim really helped with, especially explaining that the た was the past tense. I should come back to it tomorrow and go through the BP examples again and see if I want to add it. I tried to add a 2nd point as well, but similarly need to read about it.

In my reviews, I seem to be getting なさい and てください mixed up. Again, I should probably do some outside reading about these points.

On WK, I added all the unlocked Level 12 kanji today and yesterday. It’s nice that some of the words I’ve learnt from Torii I’m now learning the kanji for, so it’s linking up.

Also, yesterday I read my first ever graded reader! It was the first one from the Ask series Level 2 Vol1. I bought that and the Taishukan Vol 1 which has Levels 0,1,2. It was so good to read the story, the highlight of my day, and exhilarating just to read it straight. I needed to look up a couple words, and a couple of grammar points (using BP search), but was able to grasp it. I also learnt how some grammar works in context and how to form some sentences, so it was really nice. Looking forward to reading more of them! I’m also surprised that the graded readers come as separate little books in one set together, it’s very nice.

4 Likes

I’ve been having the same problem where I will get stuck on a grammar point and not add it because of my confusion and I think we are in similar spots in the progression of lessons. For me it feels like vocab ramped up so much around this spot that I’m so focused on absorbing what it means that concentrating on the grammar in addition is difficult.

For ‘nasai’ I remember it because it’s the opposite of the earlier grammar point ‘na’ but can also be shortened to ‘na’ so one of them means ‘do something’ and the other means ‘don’t do something’ even though they are almost the same, lol.

3 Likes

Also, I think the main difference between the grammar points you are mixing up is that ‘kudasai’ means please, so ‘te kudasai’ means ‘please do something’ just like ‘nai de kudasai’ means ‘please don’t do something’. ‘Nasai’ is a command.

Edit: Nasai appears to be more for when you have the better social standing such as a mother talking to her kids or a teacher to their students. Te kudasai is more formal and I believe is also found on signs as well.

1 Like

Not updated here in a couple of days. I had a busy weekend. I was babysitting my wonderful 14 month old niece for about 13 hours on Saturday. I did my reviews on WK and BP but that was all since my whole day was babysitting. On Sunday I had other things to do and only slipped in a partial review session on BP to not lose my study streak. I didn’t even touch WK.

90 reviews to do on WK today… :frowning:

Oh, I was kinda assuming that なさい was actually short for ください

Finally came back after travelling for 5 days. I did my BP reviews every day, but on the last day I forgot to do my reviews in the morning and then lost track of time. I remembered late in the day and did them but I didn’t make it within the 24hr window from my last review so I broke my 36 day streak. I really, really, really wish the time-frame would just be from midnight to midnight instead of your last review. Ugh. Time to start all over again.

Also finished up all my N2 vocab lessons on Torii! Went straight into N1 so as not to break my flow. My first lessons were rough just because it felt intimidating to be learning (gasp) N1 vocab. But it’s getting better. : )

5 Likes

Level up on WK and BP.
It’s time to slow down. I already have plenty of grammar points and vocabulary words I haven’t used. A lot of abstract vocabulary words on WK which are hard to remember.

Had mistake on new grammar points I studied last night, potential form and 場合は, going to read the reference links tonight.

2 Likes

Level 24 on BP and level 7 on WK, level up! Got that nifty little email from Koichi about level 7 but I’ve been here before so I’ll just keep chugging along like usual.

Also got my 50 day study streak!

I have a graded reader and dictionary of basic japanese grammar in the mail so I’m excited for that boost of self confidence in being able to read basic texts without much difficulty.

3 Likes

Only ended up getting caught up on BP, and doing about 30 of those 90 reviews on WK yesterday.

Then today, I did reviews on BP and added three lessons. I was only gonna do one, but then I was like “let’s peek at the next one… Oh it is easy. Let’s do it.” And then I picked at the one after that and it was also easy (basically two things I’d encountered before). I am now only 4 points from finishing N5!!!

Did a long session with all the WK reviews that had, of course, grown since yesterday. Also did 10 lessons (8 vocab, 2 kanji). I’d like to get more in flow with WK and do more.

Although considering my plans and all, I should probably flow in KW again and/or add Torii.

2 Likes

I had sore throat and headache since yesterday so I didn’t read any grammar book. Finish WK and added 15 new lessons, then did BP. Really need to add more lessons on BP since my reviews count is low, but I think I’ll do that tonight. Feeling better after taking some medicine, but I’m still getting a mild headache.

Oh, and I got my 60 days batch.
60streak

7 Likes

Got mine today too! Twinsies :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Managing to keep up with BunPro, and link a lot of CureDolly stuff for future reference. It feels like I learned a lot this week.

Also down to three ghost reviews! \o/

Not that impressive, but after coming back to BunPro following my unscheduled month+ absence, more than half of my items ended up as ghosts. Whoopsie. So it feels nice to have a handle now on all the grammar points passing by.

2 Likes

Hope you get better man. Congrats on dat badge !

1 Like

That channel is super insightful. It’s probably got the best explanation of Japanese verb transitivity that I’ve ever come across, is there any video in particular that you’d recommend?

1 Like

The first video she did on transitivity was indeed my introduction to her as well! I found it extremely useful.

CureDolly is very adamant that English-focussed textbooks teach the passive form (what she calls the “receptive helper verb”) in convoluted and unclear ways.

I admit I never looked much into how passive is taught by people other than CureDolly, but the way she explains it makes it very simple.

I recall her also mentioning that textbooks often cover potential form and causative form in ways she finds needlessly complex.

Again; those are things I never covered much with sources outside of CureDolly, but after learning from her, I now consider those topics to be quite easy and straightforward. ^^

Then again, at level 46 here in BunPro, there’s a good chance you’ve already mastered these things.

@jamie Hope you feel better!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A bit of a wash yesterday. Did one review session on both BP and WK. So zero:ed reviews once. Definitely finding it hard right now to regularly do the amount of Japanese I want. Probably because I don’t have a set time of day I can do it. ^^

2 Likes

Hit Bunpro over the past few days, but didn’t manage to get my reviews to zero until today.
Had a really bad day on KKLC on monday, ended up having to re-study a lot of the vocab, but was finally able to add new kanji again today.

1 Like

“Master” is quite a strong word for only having been exposed to a lot of grammar over a few years :stuck_out_tongue:

In fact, now that I can actually start reading lots of native Japanese material, I’ve found that revisiting “basic” grammar points often reminds me of subtleties and nuances I wasn’t able to keep track of on my first pass.

The latest example being, causative verbs always change the particle linking to them, which means transitive/intransitive verbs inherently have different options available to them. (Namely, causative intransitive verbs are free to choose between を and に, where を feels “forceful” and に feels like “allowing.” Causative transitive verbs are limited to only に and remain ambiguous on their own.)

2 Likes

I have been sitting at 150-200+ reviews forever now (hello ghosts :'D), and just today made it to zero omg ima cri x’D

4 Likes