Have you done your BunPro Review today?

Thank you @BizauCristian @MissDagger I feel so much better now thanks to plenty of sleep. Slowing down my progress but I don’t want to lose my streak :sweat_smile:
Accuracy has been decreased lately, but that’s okay I can’t think hard since I still have mild headache. Lots of mistakes, still have problems converting English to Japanese since it’s not my first language :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Another super slow day yesterday. Got a lot done in other areas of my life instead. I didn’t even do reviews on WK, only on BP because streak. Also leveled to 23 here on BP. ^^

Right now I feel motivated to power through the last four points of N5 though, and then I’ll focus more of my energy to WK, and using what I know through reading and speaking.

1 Like

Wiii!!!

10 Likes

Congrats @MissDagger!

I just realised it’s been about 5 days since I posted on this thread. I finally added the 3 lessons I mentioned in my last post yesterday. And added 6 more today. The BP example sentences do get difficult later on, mixing together many grammar points. I’m keen to add more grammar points, as things I see elsewhere, I look up on BP and see that they are later in N4 (and I’m surprised a couple of things are listed in N3), so I wanna get to there, so I can understand more sentences whilst reading - I’m beginning to think grammar is the biggest challenge to understanding whilst reading, as a word or kanji you can always look up, but grammar affects the whole meaning of the sentence and is the glue holding all the bits together.

On WK, I’ve been steadily progressing through Level 12, over half of those kanji are guru’d. I need to press on with the vocab lessons there. Still adding some lessons on Torii, I think it takes a while for new words to stick there, but finding it useful in that it’s teaching all the N5 words first, so it’s filling the holes in the more common words I don’t know - there’s still quite a lot.

I’ve been reading my graded readers I bought - about 6 of the individual stories from levels 0-2. Been enjoying it. I think it’s good not to only read these, but mix it up with the stuff like NHK Easy News and the stuff from the WK bookclubs, as they expose you to other grammar as well.

2 Likes

Congratulations @MissDagger now proceed to N4 :grinning:
Doing twice a day on kanji makes WK piled up really quickly, almost 100 reviews each time :disappointed_relieved:

• Confusing なら and 場合は
  • Need to learn more about potential form, still stuck with many ghosts for that grammar point :smile:
  • Confusing 終わる and てから, really weird :rofl:
  • So first person uses たい and third person uses たがる
  • And adjectives for become uses くなる/になる and verb uses てくる, I’ve learned the hard way :wink:

A lot of ghosts already, I’ll kill them first before adding new lessons

1 Like

Funnily enough, after I posted that I saw a post by the developer saying how to see how many words you have in each level, and well, for N5…

Err, so I feel there’s a lot of common words I haven’t touched in Torii yet, but I guess those will be on the N4 set I’m starting soon.

I’m definitely feeling the weight of a lot of reviews on BP today, after adding so many points yesterday. But it’s good because I feel like I’m improving :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, @Jul3 and @jamie! And all who liked as well!

Feels good to have finish N5. This means I’ll shift my priority for a bit. Especially since I had another slacker day and only did BP reviews. I haven’t done WK reviews for a couple of days now… Oops… they are up to 120+ now. I’ll tackle that tomorrow!

2 Likes

Very slow progress on WK side, no new lessons showed up yet.
No mistakes on BP this morning, but I still have a lot of ghosts on BP, got to tackle them first before adding more lessons.

• Since there’s no new lessons on WK side, I’ll add new words on iKnow instead. I’ve still had 200+ I haven’t studied yet for N5.
  • I’ve bought a new book for N5-N4 material “Shin Nihongo 500 Mon JLPT N4 - N5”, it’s pretty good book for variations. Small enough to bring everywhere with me. I’ve also added the grammar to self-study to add variety to BP. Sadly, no voice :sweat_smile:
2 Likes

Well done everyone at being so consistent with BunPro! Congratulations @MissDagger for finishing N5 :slightly_smiling_face:

I got down to 0 reviews once in the last weeks but I keep returning to 150 reviews shortly after… It is a bit discouraging but that’s just the way it goes I guess, especially since I‘m too stubborn to remove any items from my review queue. I want to finish all N3 grammar by July and I think I‘m in waaaay over my head. But I don’t feel like giving up yet, I just have to be more consistent with BunPro.

It is just all so much… I go full speed at WaniKani, I add 80 Anki cards per day (but a lot of them are simple ones, based on subs2srs for example), I have 3 skype lessons per week and a full time job. BunPro would be so important and useful but since grammar is my least favorite part of studying, I always prioritize it the lowest compared to everything else. How do you guys balance your studies? You all seem to be doing your reviews so regularly so I guess BunPro is much higher on your priority list?

6 Likes

To be fair, I think absorbing grammar becomes 10x easier once you know the majority of the words in all the Japanese you approach. If your grammar’s still shaky, but you’re familiar with all the words in a given sentence… I think I’d prefer that to being a grammar guru who gets stonewalled by every 10th word.

Grammar’s still important of course, don’t get me wrong, I just think that a lot of people underestimate the value of amassing a huge vocabulary :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t go full speed at WK now, only 15 lessons per day. If there is no new lesson, I’ll add new words at iKnow. You have bigger goal than me, I hope I can finish N4 then increase my grammar accuracy to at least 90% this year. For now I don’t care about accuracy, I just need to finish N4 :sweat_smile:

I used to prioritize kanji and vocabulary over grammar, but couldn’t seem to understand a lot of simple sentences. Having a lot of vocabulary words are great, but if you can’t glue it to a sentence you want to use then I think it’s useless. I’d rather have balanced kanji, vocabulary and grammar at the same time. So for me, equal priority between kanji, vocabulary, grammar.

If I have more time in hand, then I’d do less priority things like reading, listening, speaking and writing.

3 Likes

Up to section F for 完全マスターN2 文法! Not ready to start the 文の組み立て section. I suck so bad at them. But of course that’s why I’m studying to get better…

Did my BP reviews of course. Starting to get <35 reviews a day and I currently only have 5 ghost grammar points.
Recently reset the keigo and sonkeigo grammar points after watching a 日本語の森 video that really helped clarify things. Sometimes, when I’m stuck in a rut, it’sgreat to watch a video on the specific grammar point. Even if it’s not teaching me anything new it somehow “resets” the grammar point in my head.

I have 1000 N1 vocab left for Torii. I’m currently doing 30 words a day but I might go a little slower. In any case, I should be done by April!

For me, definitely. I already reached 60 in WK so I’m pretty much done with my “learn Kanji for the sake of learning Kanji” phase. My first year of Japanese study was literally just learn Kanji, so now I have catch up with my grammar/vocab. And listening…eventually. And speaking…uh…probably never. Haha.

I am also focusing a lot more on consuming native Japanese media like books, manga, anime, video games, etc. I’m working on vocab acquisition, both for the JLPT and ones I encounter in the wild.

4 Likes

So… Usually for me I’m either keeping on top well of WK or BP, except for rare days when I manage to do both equally.

You ask about keeping on top of BP reviews… Well, I tend to at most have like 15 at a time, it is much easier to say “I’ll do 15 reviews to 0 BP” than “I’ll do 50 reviews on WK to 0 WK”. Hence I almost always 0 reviews on BP because they are such small numbers.

I also recently put more time into BP because I wanted to finish N5. I’m starting a language school in Japan in April (on Friday I learn if my visa was approved or not!!!), and the textbook they are using seems to kinda go by JLPT, so I thought I’d try to get solid N5 skills and thereby skip the beginner’s beginner class and maybe get to start a bit higher up. My next thing to tackle is the N5 vocab with Torii and starting iTalki lessons for speaking, and to slot in some random reading.

But since I started doing BP more seriously mid-Dec, my WK level up time have seriously suffered. From having regularly 8 day level ups to now having 3 week levels. (In fact I’ve been on my current level for 25 days and I’m far from leveling up with my current lesson scheme.)

So balance? You tell me. :wink:

~*~*~*~*~*~

Did BP reviews yesterday to 0 once, all of 13 or something. ^___^

Started on the WK reviews. But only got through 30 or so.

4 Likes

I guess the thing for me is, these SRS systems are kindof addictive, and require little effort to do. I guess the big thing for me is that nowadays I wake up about an hour before I actually get out of bed, and do all my reviews on my phone on WK, BP and Torii, and then if I have time before I need to get up I do some lessons. Apart from that I’m always checking throughout the day on WK and BP if I have any reviews, and do them. Just a bit at a time, all through the day. It’s quite nice if I have a big review pile in the evening to do on my laptop. I do save Torii reviews to do that. I basically try and keep the reviews I do to a suitable level. I keep my apprentice count around 100 on WK, on BP, I don’t really add lessons unless either I really feel like it, and can understand the grammar points, or my number of review is really drying up… if I have too many reviews each day on BP then I won’t add any new grammar points.

\\

As for my how my review sessions are going, I’m still failing too often on Bunpro for not being sure which verbs go to て or って, I kindof do it by feeling what sounds right rather than applying any kindof logic to it… and most of my grammar points coming up in my reviews these days use the て form… I also seem to be failing on typos… eg/ I know what おいしそう is but why do I keep typing it as おいしおう, I even did it when writing it in this post…

My next lesson on BP is より, which is a point that has always confused me in the past. The previous BP lesson on より…の方が was actually the thing which reinforced to me the most which way round より works. Today I understood the first half of the examples for より, but then, when the sentences were getting more complex, I was getting it the wrong way round in my head… I think I need to read some articles on it before tackling it… this is a point which has been difficult to me for a long time, so should read more to grasp how it works…

4 Likes

Thank you all for your replies! I feel a mix of “sounds like this is normal and you just can’t do it all”-relief and inspiration right now :slight_smile:

I just got down to 89 reviews, that’s at least below 100. If I keep showing up every day to do at least 30 reviews, things should become manageable eventually. Let’s see how it goes.

4 Likes

Done my WK and BP. I’ve already forgotten some radicals at WK :sweat_smile:
Added 15 new lessons, still have 27 left. I think it’s going to slow to level up due to not going full speed, but that’s OK.
As for BP, I’ve killed 5 or so Ghosts but still got plenty so I won’t add new lessons yet.

5 Likes

I’m a bit late to the conversation but for me it really is “slow and steady wins the race.” I’d rather take 2 weeks to level on WK and add a gramnar point a day here but really know things well than speed through and know nothing. It helps that my honeymoon phase with the language is over since I’ve been attempting to learn for 8 years on and off and just kicked myself into gear again recently.

As far as priorities go, there isnt enough time in the day for me to get to vocab so I tend to favor seeing words in the wild as my main source of vocab building for now. I would just burn myself out if I tried to add more to BP, WK, and my book clubs :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Yesterday I kept up with BP reviews, again, easy for me. I didn’t touch WK…

I think I need to get back in the habit of doing WK all through the day, a little bit here and a little bit there, since I’m having trouble motivating myself to sit down with the big piles. And I’m above 100 again since I haven’t been doing WK.

5 Likes

As part of the BP lesson links, I got linked to Japanese Ammo With Misa, and quite liked the video, and watched a few of them the last few days. Added より since I got the hang of it (I hope…) and the next two points だけで and ことができる. I read a level 2 graded reader tonight, and some of the grammar points I’ve learnt recently in the N4 section of BP came up so I was pretty happy about being able to understand those parts. Also been doing a bit of Tangoristo/NHK Easy reading whilst on the bus etc. On Wanikani I levelled up to 13, but have loads of vocab to add before starting on the new kanji. I’m adding less on Torii than before - I think with the unknown words there, it takes me more repetitions to remember. Remembering the words from an SNS out of context isn’t great tbh, but also, I’m not good at remembering the new words I encounter in my Japanese reading either… so… I’ll have to stick with it.

6 Likes

Level up to 32, but still have too many ghosts. I guess no new lessons today.
WK is still slow, I added 15 more lessons but won’t add new words on iKnow.

Really had problems with potential form and casual volitional form. My memory sucked :disappointed_relieved: Most of my ghosts are because of these. Got to learn the example sentences more.

2 Likes