How do you like your review Queue?

Hey everyone!

When reviewing, what type of content is in your Review Queue?

• Grammar
  • Vocab
  • Grammar and Vocab
  • Split Queues for Grammar and Vocab
  • I didn’t know about Vocab

0 voters

That said, in a perfect universe, how would the “Reviews” button would need to work in order to align with your individual study goals?

I only study grammar so the review queue and button are good. I am already heavily invested in other platforms for vocab and I don’t see that changing for the foreseeable future. For my specific study goals it’s simple but it works as is!

11 Likes

I think that is should be reviews only, I wanted to use the Bunpro system for vocab, but as soon as I realized it polluted my review count I stopped doing it. I judge my work load off of that number and grammar and vocabulary are very different metal effort per unit tasks and as such I much prefer them to be distinct.

5 Likes

Only grammar-gang here.

5 Likes

+1 only grammar. I use Anki decks for vocab.

2 Likes

Currently I only review grammar, however that is mainly because I am also using wanikani and I already learn 3 kanji and 9 vocab words per day there. I limit my new words per day to prevent getting overwhelmed with new material.

EDIT: With that being said, I think that it would be best to have split queues for grammar and vocab.

4 Likes

I only use vocabulary to fill out my reviews on days where I have no grammar reviews. For actual vocabulary learning I have much better tools. Since all I use it for is making sure something shows up when I click the review button, split reviews would make the vocabulary feature even more useless for me.

1 Like

I added a few vocab but wasn’t really getting much out of the reviews, so I’m grammar only now.
Anki is great for vocab so I’ll just keep using that.

1 Like

同じ意見をあります。
Only grammar here as well, use another tool for vocab.
I would like to add that a lot of my bunpro interaction is with the review queue/mechanism, much more so than the examples tab on grammar points (I highlight as that’s had comparatively more features added over the years)

1 Like

Grammar only here too, like many others I already have other tools for vocab, I don’t like mixing the reviews up. I like Bunpro especially because I use it only for grammar.

2 Likes

Only grammar at this point.

I’m interested in doing vocab on bunpro as well, but grammar is higher priority for me on this site. When I have a lot of work during the day and can only study later at night when I’m tired, my top goal is to clear out my grammar reviews, or at least a good chunk of them. I don’t want vocab mixed in there when I don’t have the time or energy for it.

The second reason I avoid vocab is that it messes up with my statistics. Or at least it did when the feature was announced and I haven’t checked since. I judge the quality of my efforts mainly based on the “Review Activity” graph on the dashboard and I want it to keep reflecting my grammar progress. That said, if I start doing vocab, I’d want the same graph for vocab.

1 Like

Grammar only too …
For vocab, i use Anki … and with the Migaku Kanji addon, i can automatically generate a kanji deck for the current and future vocab, use anki + morphman to quickly analyse my % of comprehension of a show … Anki has a lots of great features for vocab, kanji grid, import/export etc, so i will keep using that

But Bunpro for the grammar is by far my favorite method … Great explanations, example, voices … so i will continue to split the vocab/grammar between these two tools.

1 Like

Bunpro is for grammar only. Wanikani is for kanji. Kitsun is for vocab in context.

3 Likes

Is there a way to make the Review queue only about grammar? I added many vocabulary items but now I’m regretting it and would like to use the app just to study grammar :pray:

1 Like

Ditto!

Maybe preface the question with “if you study both grammar and vocab on Bunpro” cause for people who only do one or the other a distinct button would be irrelevant.

1 Like

I have grammar and vocab (although the vocab is just a light-touch smattering as I use other tools for that). I didn’t realise you could have split queues, and I think it would definitely be helpful to have an option to have separate review buttons.

1 Like

I don’t use BP for vocabulary…but if I did, my preference would be to have two discrete study & review options. 1) Study Grammar; 2) Study Vocab; 3) Review Grammar; 4) Review Vocab;

1 Like

I use a little vocab here and there, but not a lot of it (partially because BP doesn’t yet have a lot of terms I want to learn, and partially because it doesn’t quiz for reading, only meaning), but I do occasionally pepper some vocab into my queue, and I generally just leave it all mixed together and do my queue as an assorted conglomeration of all my item types.

1 Like

From your account’s menu on the main BP site, click Settings. Then click on to the General category in the list on the left.

In there, scroll down to the Reviews section. For Split Reviews, select Yes.

Then, when you go to the Dashboard page (the homepage when you’re logged in, basically), you will see reviews split up into “Grammar Reviews” and “Vocab Reviews”, each with its own review count.

To review only grammar, click the “Grammar Reviews” link. (Unfortunately, while the box containing the link and the counter appears to be clickable, and you might expect it to bring you to the grammar reviews, it currently does not do anything. You have to specifically click on the hyperlink text “Grammar Reviews”. This will indeed start a session with only grammar items.)

3 Likes