iOS app feedback

@Pushindawood / @Rion, feel free to use this as a general feedback thread if you want.

@Rion I wanted to know if there was any update on the force touch bug where pressing hard on a specific grammar point shows a flicker of the grammar point before showing the preview properly.

1 Like

Itā€˜s known and will be fixed in a later update.
Unfortunately itā€™s because the example sentences need to converted to Attributed strings and that just too slow.
I think I remove them from the 3D Touch preview and only show the general information and structure.

2 Likes

@Rion I think itā€™s really weird that the app says I have 1 Review (for example), when itā€™s not available yet. I understand that youā€™re trying to indicate how many reviews I will have at the next review time, but I find it to be really confusing. I used to use that large text ā€œX Review(s)ā€ to quickly find out if I have reviews right now. Now I canā€™t do that and it makes the app harder to useā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€˜m changing that with the release of the app we are preparing at the moment :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh hereā€™s a fun one! One of the examples for 悉恗恄 has the word ę˜Žć€…å¾Œę—„. When I tapped it to show the furigana, the phone tried to create a calendar event. :rofl:

4 Likes

Oh, I guess I should turn off the data detectors xD
But that ā€žbugā€œ should also happen If you try that via Safari. :wink:

2 Likes

This is why the app is better, isnā€™t it? :wink:

1 Like

@Rion In the new version of the app, it closes the web view immediately after I finish my last review. Was this intentional? I liked being able to view the summary afterward.

On a more general note, I would like to have more control in the app. Iā€™d even like to be able to open the web view when Iā€™m not doing reviews so I can look at things that arenā€™t currently supported in the app.

1 Like

@Rion

How can my next review be in 22 minutes but I have no reviews in the next hour?

Hereā€™s what the website shows:

1 Like

Hi @seanblue

Iā€™ll look into those problems.

Closing the WebView after the reviews are finished had to do with the fact that user often got confused that they somehow had to navigate the app like the website after doing reviews.
I agree that itā€™s a good idea to open the main page if there are no reviews so cramming and study are available from the app :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is the app not syncing content from the website automatically? N3 levels 4 and 5 should have 12 sentences now, but the app still just shows 3.

1 Like

It is, but you can sort of trigger it manually by restarting the app and selecting the search tab :slight_smile:

That should add the missing sentences.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a weird way to refresh the content. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Rion

The number of reviews displayed by the app isnā€™t accounting for Ghost reviews.

Any update on when weā€™ll be able to see the summary page after completing reviews again?

Also, if I leave the app and come back while doing reviews (it comes back to the same screen) it scrolls down a little bit. Itā€™s a minor annoyance.

One last thing. Not sure if this is a website concern or an app concern (so Iā€™ll tag @Jake). Iā€™m using a keyboard that can adapt depending on the app to show a light or dark skinned keyboard. If possible, when the user is set to dark mode can you display the keyboard in dark mode as well? Itā€™s a little jarring seeing a bright white keyboard against a dark background.

1 Like

I think @Rion has an update planned in the near future. I believe the keyboard needs to be changed on the app side. I could not find anyway to change it via javascript. I am not familiar with keyboard skins though.

I fixed the scrolling down bug!

2 Likes

Yap, cleaning up some bugs at the moment and will upload a new version shortly that also allows opening the website when there are no reviews and the summary returns as well :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll look into the keyboard problem, but so far Iā€™m not aware of any customization option for the webview, but who knows, maybe there is :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Possibly related? I donā€™t do any iOS development so I donā€™t really know.

1 Like

Hi @seanblue
As you might have seen, I published and update fixing some of your points :slight_smile:
Unfortunately I did not find a good solution for the keyboard problem that did not mess around in some internals of Apples API , so that problem is still around, but Iā€˜ll look further into it :wink:

2 Likes

There is currently a bug on the searchscreen that is pretty jarring when the app is used in landscape

The scope bar behaves really strange.
It can be fixed by not adding the search bar as a subview of the navigation bar, but the scope does disappear if the search bar gets the focusā€¦ -.-

A workaround for now isā€¦ please donā€™t use the app in landscape when you search for a grammar point :sweat_smile:

1 Like

When I open the webview when I donā€™t have reviews it wants me to log in again. I need to double check if my session completely expired, but I donā€™t have reviews to check that webview right now. I guess itā€™s possible that youā€™re not sending the token (or whatever) to keep me logged in for this different webview.

1 Like