iOS app feedback

Correct. Thank you!

Hello,
Did anyone else have their app expire? I can no longer use the app, which was super helpful in sticking with the reviews.

You can go back to your TestFlight app and select update for ‘BunPro SRS’

1 Like

Amazing. Thanks so much!

Hey, I recently joined BunPro and immediately started using the iOS beta as I found the website itself to be… rather badly designed to be honest, and I wanted to give some feedback as an iPad user.

MORE KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
The recent keyboard shortcuts you added are nice but it’s a shame that none exist in the area where you actually review and study grammar, which is the area I most use and could do with some touch/mouse-free commands for switching between tabs, playing back audio examples and moving through lessons.

NATIVE REVIEW/STUDY UI
On that topic, I hope the web frame for reviews and studies doesn’t remain and it gets turned into native UI both for consistency and because almost… anything… could… be… better… than… that… website… design… :see_no_evil:

UNINTERRUPTED AUDIO PLAYBACK FOR EXAMPLE SENTENCES
One thing that’s really important to get right if this does become native is the audio playback for hearing example phrases, to ensure that when it’s played back it doesn’t stop any other audio source running in the background. I often listen to music while studying and one of the biggest reasons I moved from the WK web-app to a native iOS app is because example readings were played back in the app in a way where it would only fade the music being played rather than stopping it entirely.

Currently in the native side of the app when you browse at all the example sentences for a grammar point, playing back audio will cause any background music to stop when it ideally shouldn’t, changing this would make a huge difference.

Thanks for making the app, I look forward to seeing how it goes

Hey there, thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Native Review/Study UI is probably the most requested feature but unfortunately the API does not enable that functionality yet and finishing up the content has a higher priority.

I‘ll look into the audio problem and see what I can do :slight_smile:

I regards to the Keyboard Shortcuts, I think there should actually be some discussion about what makes sense and what shortcuts should be present.
So if there is feedback or suggestions on that I highly appreciate it :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi:

In the last few weeks the iOS app has been crashing and won’t let me do reviews. It does this at the very start of the app and if i manage to open the app it crashes after doing about 5 reviews.

Update: I was using dark theme and bunny mode and i tried turning both of those off and now the app is working great, hope this helps people who had the same issue.

Cheers

1 Like

The only issue I have had with the app lately is that my review count on the main screen of the app is always higher than it should be. For the longest time there was always at least 1 review, then eventually it turned to 2, and now I have 4 reviews minimum all of the time. So if the app says 10 reviews are available, as soon as I start, it is actually only 6. If it says I have 4 reviews, I actually have none. The website always reports the correct number for me.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I just wanted to say that I recently updated the app through Test Flight, and now my issues with the app consistently overreporting how many reviews I have are fixed!

2 Likes

Happy to hear that :smiley:
Seems to have a lot of causes and I‘ve hopefully removed most of them by now…

1 Like

I am having a problem where I see the app show a notification badge on the app icon saying that I have reviews, so I open the app and do these reviews, but then when I am done doing the reviews, the app does not clear the notification badge. It seems like sometimes I can get it to clear by doing pull-to-refresh inside the app’s main screen, or by swiping the app out of the iOS task switcher and then launching it again, but then sometimes these actions DON’T work, so I am not sure if they really do work sometimes or if it is a placebo effect. Is this a known issue with the app?

This is happening on an iPhone SE 2020, running iOS 14.5.1, and app version 1.0 (79).

3 Likes

It looks like this bug might have happened because I didn’t have any reviews coming due in the next 24 hours. I did another batch of lessons, and after that the main screen changed back to saying “no reviews”, vs when the bug was happening I think it said “next review”, and the incorrect badge number on the app icon vanished. vOv

Same here, I am on iPhone 12 same app/iOS version. I’ve noticed that it’s always has number of reviews +1 as the badge icon.
So If the badge show 5, I actually have 4 reviews.

2 Likes

@Jake I think the TestFlight period for the BunPro iOS app has expired :frowning:

3 Likes

Hi,

I am currently trying the “vocab review beta” and this seems to break the iOS-App. Since I enlisted the app only starts synching (it shows “Loading…”) but does not stop (even though i let it synch for quite a while). Anyone else having these problems?

My workaround is using the web-app and disabling the iOS-App , but i liked using the app and would like to do so in the future.

3 Likes

I am having the same problem and am totally unable to use the app :confused:

Yep same here. The app completely broke with the vocab.

Okay, so I am kind of new to Bunpro and didn’t realize their app is open source! So I went to go see if I could see what was causing this issue so that I might be able to submit a PR if I feel good about my solution, or at the very least give @Rion or some other major contributor some info to go off of.

So what I can tell is that the app is trying to decode data that it is getting from a BunPro API. The client expects for the “grammar_point_id” value of the data coming from the API to be guaranteed, but for vocab items that are manually created (or possibly pulled from WaniKani, which I think is what is happening in my case) the value is nil. So then the decoder fails, not gracefully, and just decides that it can’t use any of the reviews.

I was able to fix this pretty simply by making the grammarIdentifier variable optional and then nil coalescing to 0 in the initializer. This solution doesn’t seem to have side effects, but I am not sure I understand the full app structure well enough to be confident in it.

Also, I have another error that I don’t believe is related, but I am not able to load any grammar points. I get a 503 error when the app tries to request them which makes me believes this is happening API side, not client side, but I am also not totally sure what the ramifications of my decoder solution are.

I have created a PR with my solution in it and would love to get a review on it and get it out to users if it doesn’t have any adverse side effects: Fix interminable loading screen by making grammarIdentifier optional by qmoreland-cricut · Pull Request #37 · bunpro-srs/BunPro-iOS · GitHub

Edit: Just adding that since posting I have used my modified version of the app and my review data updates as expected both in the app and in the website. Woohoo! I will say, many of the network calls seem VERRRYYY sluggish, but I am not sure if that is par for the course or not as I have not been able to use the app before today.

5 Likes

(Could be related to Number2Dadd’s 503 error when requesting grammar data?)
I recently installed on my iPad (running iPadOS 15.4.1) and while everything inside “Reviews” works fine, there are no grammar points available from the main screen. I’m unable to use the search feature at all. I tried both logging out and reinstalling and neither helped.
Curiously, I have no issues on my iPhone (iOS 14.8.1), which has had Bunpro installed for quite a while now.

Hey! You might want to try this one instead New Bunpro Mobile Apps! - v0.2.2+11

2 Likes