iOS app feedback

I am having the same problem and am totally unable to use the app :confused:

Yep same here. The app completely broke with the vocab.

Okay, so I am kind of new to Bunpro and didn’t realize their app is open source! So I went to go see if I could see what was causing this issue so that I might be able to submit a PR if I feel good about my solution, or at the very least give @Rion or some other major contributor some info to go off of.

So what I can tell is that the app is trying to decode data that it is getting from a BunPro API. The client expects for the “grammar_point_id” value of the data coming from the API to be guaranteed, but for vocab items that are manually created (or possibly pulled from WaniKani, which I think is what is happening in my case) the value is nil. So then the decoder fails, not gracefully, and just decides that it can’t use any of the reviews.

I was able to fix this pretty simply by making the grammarIdentifier variable optional and then nil coalescing to 0 in the initializer. This solution doesn’t seem to have side effects, but I am not sure I understand the full app structure well enough to be confident in it.

Also, I have another error that I don’t believe is related, but I am not able to load any grammar points. I get a 503 error when the app tries to request them which makes me believes this is happening API side, not client side, but I am also not totally sure what the ramifications of my decoder solution are.

I have created a PR with my solution in it and would love to get a review on it and get it out to users if it doesn’t have any adverse side effects: Fix interminable loading screen by making grammarIdentifier optional by qmoreland-cricut · Pull Request #37 · bunpro-srs/BunPro-iOS · GitHub

Edit: Just adding that since posting I have used my modified version of the app and my review data updates as expected both in the app and in the website. Woohoo! I will say, many of the network calls seem VERRRYYY sluggish, but I am not sure if that is par for the course or not as I have not been able to use the app before today.

5 Likes

(Could be related to Number2Dadd’s 503 error when requesting grammar data?)
I recently installed on my iPad (running iPadOS 15.4.1) and while everything inside “Reviews” works fine, there are no grammar points available from the main screen. I’m unable to use the search feature at all. I tried both logging out and reinstalling and neither helped.
Curiously, I have no issues on my iPhone (iOS 14.8.1), which has had Bunpro installed for quite a while now.

Hey! You might want to try this one instead New Bunpro Mobile Apps! - v0.2.2+11

2 Likes