Irassharanai - Irasshaimasen

Guys, help me see my mistake here please!
I thought questions were better phrased in formal language, specially when using honorific languageโ€ฆ

Thanks a lot!

My guess would be thereโ€™s supposed to be a ใ‚“/ใฎ at the end there (ใ‚“ใงใ™ใ‹/ใฎใงใ™ใ‹).

Might be due to the ใงใ™ใ‹ at the end. ใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ™ใ‹ isnโ€™t correct, Iโ€™m pretty sure.

ใพใ›ใ‚“ใ‹ might work instead, but again Iโ€™m not sure.

Iโ€™m happy to half-decently understand ๆ•ฌ่ชž, let alone try to speak it.

That said, ใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ‚‰ใชใ„ does sound quite strange to me, I wonder if itโ€™s actually usedโ€ฆ

1 Like

I think it might be almost the same situation as my question here, so maybe the answers there help you too.

(Although, on further look, I didnโ€™t see the โ€œhonorificโ€. Still leaving this up in case itโ€™s useful.)

Isnโ€™t ใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ‚‰ใชใ„ basically a posh way of saying ใ„ใชใ„?

For ๅฑ…ใ‚‹ the least formal negation is ใ„ใชใ„, then ใ„ใชใ„ใงใ™ and then ใ„ใพใ›ใ‚“, isnโ€™t it?

Of course I could have just totally made all that up in my head to be honest but I thought you could whack a ใงใ™onto an informal negation to make it slightly more formal.

As for the original question, I guess the person talking about the honorific person that has left, isnโ€™t necessarily talking to someone super formally. i.e. sheโ€™s talking to her mate about the posh bloke thatโ€™s already left. Sheโ€™s using an honorific to elevate the status of the posh bloke thatโ€™s left but she doesnโ€™t need to be excessively formal with whoever sheโ€™s speaking with. Thatโ€™s my take on it anyway.

Welcome @JonCastilho !

ใพใ™ and ใงใ™ cannot be combined. Your potential options would be;

ใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ‚‰ใชใ„ใงใ™ใ‹
ใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ„ใพใ›ใ‚“ใ‹

You can combine ใพใ™/ใพใ›ใ‚“ with ใงใ—ใ‚‡ใ† however (ใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ„ใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ‹), but this is more confirmatory; you think/know Suzuki has left, youโ€™re just double checking.

4 Likes

Not posh - honorific.
When the two people in the conversation are talking about someone who is at a higher social standing than them, they would use ใ„ใฃใ‚‰ใ—ใ‚ƒใ‚‹.
Here are some examples:

Student: ใƒžใ‚ทใƒฅใƒผๅ…ˆ็”Ÿใ›ใ‚“ใ›ใ„ใ€ๆ ก้•ทๅ…ˆ็”Ÿใ“ใ†ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ›ใ‚“ใ›ใ„ใŒใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ„ใพใ™ใ‹ใ€‚
Me: ใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ‚‰ใชใ„ใ‚ˆใ€‚
Of course, Iโ€™m a teacher, so my student uses polite language with me, and I use casual language with him/her, but the head teacher is above both of us, so when we talk about him, we use ใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ‚‹.

Studentโ€™s Parent: ใƒžใ‚ทใƒฅใƒผๅ…ˆ็”Ÿใ›ใ‚“ใ›ใ„ใ€ๆ ก้•ทๅ…ˆ็”Ÿใ“ใ†ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ›ใ‚“ใ›ใ„ใŒใ„ใพใ™ใ‹ใ€‚
Me: ็”ณใ‚‚ใ†ใ—่จณใ‚ใ‘ใ‚ใ‚Šใพใ›ใ‚“ใŒใ€ไปŠใ„ใพใฏใ„ใพใ›ใ‚“ใ€‚
As a teacher and parent, we are both polite to each other, but because the customer is higher than anyone in social standing, we would not use ใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ‚‹ whilst talking about the head teacher in this case. However, since the parent (customer) is at a significantly higher standing than me, I would use humble Japanese.

However, if the head teacher was in the office, since the parent has a higher social standing than the head teacher (as a customer), the conversation would go something like this:
Studentโ€™s Parent: ใƒžใ‚ทใƒฅใƒผๅ…ˆ็”Ÿใ›ใ‚“ใ›ใ„ใ€ๆ ก้•ทๅ…ˆ็”Ÿใ“ใ†ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ›ใ‚“ใ›ใ„ใŒใ„ใพใ™ใ‹ใ€‚
Me: ใ„ใพใ™ใ‚ˆใ€‚ๅฐ‘ใ€…ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใŠๅพ…ใพใกใใ ใ•ใ„ใ€‚**
[I turn to face the head teacher] ๆ ก้•ทๅ…ˆ็”Ÿใ“ใ†ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ›ใ‚“ใ›ใ„ใ€ใŠๅฎขๆง˜ใใ‚ƒใใ•ใพใŒใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ„ใพใ™ใ€‚***
**Notice that here I use humble Japanese whilst talking to the parent, since they are higher than me, but I do not use ใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ‚‹ whilst talking about my head teacher, because that would insinuate that he is higher than the customer.
***Here, I talk to the headmaster about a parent, so I therefore use honorific Japanese whilst talking about that parent.

Is that easy enough to understand? I know it takes a hell of a lot to get your head around it. It took me ages to get it right.

7 Likes

Thanks a lot!