JLPT December 2022 - Results published / Certificates sent

For my first time taking the test this is better than I expected:

Seems like I was cutting it a bit close. Surprised the reading was better than the Language Knowledge and likewise for the grammar and vocabulary split, still fairly happy.

Not much is changing in my overall learning strategy. Just incorporating more and more reading into the mix and I think that The rest will follow.

7 Likes

First JLPT and passed N2! I had plateaued at about lower intermediate grammar for over a year and just could not find a good study program to get me over it. Then I found Bunpro and my life changed! I finally started enjoying studying again and was learning faster than I ever had. Thank you Bunpro! <3

12 Likes

24/21/31

It’s embarrassing but that’s life, I guess.

8 Likes

There are two pass marks in the JLPT that you need in order to pass the exam.
The overall pass mark is around 50-55% of the total marks on the exam (depending on the exam level taken), there are also the sectional pass marks which are the marks you should get on each of the sections (reading, vocabulary, and listening) themselves to pass. You need to achieve both marks in order to pass.
It’s a bit complicated for sure, but it’s to ensure you don’t pass the exam by doing great in one part but badly in another.

Here’s the overall and sectional pass marks for the N4 and N5 level taken from the JLPT website itself as a reference.

3 Likes

Got 89/180 on my N4, didn’t pass by a single point, but I feel great about it. I’m halfway through the N4 grammar points, so passing or not passing doesn’t change the fact that I got so much to study yet. I went better on the listening sections than the language one, which was a good surprise. My listening seems to be improving, so now I just need to better internalize the grammar rules and learn the ones I didn’t so far

Gonna take the N4 again, definitely pass it, and then it will be time to start climbing the N3 wall

8 Likes

It’s good to have been able to start the grammar for the next JLPT level straight away through BunPro.
Really want to get going with the vocabulary though.

Incidentally, for those of you aiming for the next JLPT test in July 2023, whether with a hope of passing or just to see where you are up to / keep motivating you to study throughout the year:
https://community.bunpro.jp/t/jlpt-july-2023

3 Likes

I failed N4 with 74 but I expected to fail so it wasn’t a shock. I was overly optimistic about how much studying I would do when I signed up (and on a high from passing N5) but I will be ready to pass in July and hopefully N3 in December.

5 Likes

I guess that’s a bit better than expected, but it’s still is a 不降格.

This just confirms I need to increase the Kanji focus.

11 Likes

Right there with you! Hope Bunpro adds N3 vocab deck in good time for me to prep for next year.

5 Likes

Me too, please, pretty please :sob::pray:
I think an N3 Vocab deck is in the pipeline, but staff have been working on redoing how reviews look and other things like that.

4 Likes

I (barely) passed N3!

It was a very close call. I thought I totally blew listening, but I guess either I was lucky or it was so difficult that they gave higher marks.

Disappointed with reading score, I don’t really know why it is so low. I didn’t have major difficulties with understanding the texts, so I don’t have any explanation.

Anyway, ギリギリ合格しました!

13 Likes

I passed N5. Chuffed to bits.

I am surprised that the listening score was that high as it felt really tough in the room - must have got lucky with some guesses :man_shrugging:
Thought I’d score higher on the other sections to be honest. They felt relatively easy in the room.
I think I definitely started to feel the time pressure!

But overall really happy to have passed my first exam in over 20 years!

13 Likes

For those interested in increasing on the reading, how about trying Satori Reader? :slight_smile:

NHK Easy is also a nice, free constant source of new reading material good for up to about N3, I guess?

1 Like

I don’t really like pre-cooked stories or graded readers, because it fails to keep my interest on them.

Instead I’m doing books aimed for middle-school, but I recently also picked a big normal one.

You can see the titles here:

If someone has the same problems as me in getting interest in the graded/learner texts, I really recommend going for the easy light novel series, like Tsubasa Bunko, Aoi Tori Bunko… and such.

2 Likes

I guess it’s really good to read content aimed at native speakers :+1:

2 Likes

Congratulations to everyone who passed! On to the next level!

For those that didn’t pass: I’m sorry that you didn’t get the score you wanted. :broken_heart: There’s always next time! You have a whole year to work on your weak skills and then you can try again! (Unless you live in a country where the test is offered in July, then you have half a year!)

6 Likes

to my absolute suprise i passed n3…
was 90% sure i fail because i messed up the star questions and had to skip the last 5 items of the reading part.

iam happy :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I was really surprised for passing N3! Wow. Soo happy haha
What a start to the year.

@Erz I got the same total score! :smiley:

9 Likes

@zerohbeat:

6 Likes

First JLPT and passed :flushed:
I had already convinced myself that I failed :sweat_smile:

13 Likes