JLPT July 2023

Officially, results should be available from 10am on 21st August in many countries, but it does depend on the country.

Source: Test Results Announcement | JLPT Japanese-Language Proficiency Test

However, based on past experience, they are sometimes released early, so worth checking as soon as you wake up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Or more realistically

refreshing the page all night while you can’t sleep waiting for the results :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Results are available online now if you’re in Japan :scream:
Good luck and let us know how it went :pleading_face:

But, right when results get released … :joy:

3 Likes

How did it go?

If you passed, that’s great and after celebrating keep going to the next level!

If you didn’t get it this time, the start of December isn’t far away for those in areas where the exam is offered twice a year :slight_smile:

I’m relieved to have passed N3 especially because of having been studying N2 stuff on Bunpro so far, so it’s good to be able to keep going with that :joy:

6 Likes

Wow, somehow I manged to pass. Not the greatest score for N5 ( 139/180 ) but still a pass. Now I can cram for N4 with even more enthusiasm :tada:

9 Likes

I passed! By the skin of my teeth (92 points with a passing threshold of 90 points for N2) but hey, it’s a pass nevertheless.
I’m just gonna have to hope that when I eventually feel I have a reasonable chance at N1 that I will not be catching the plague three days prior.

8 Likes

I failed N4 again and I only got one mark more than last time. So much effort for one mark as I really studied. The listening was so hard but hoped the scaled score would help somehow if everyone found it hard but it didn’t.

9 Likes

I failed N2, but the score is completely reversed to my expectations :laughing:
I was sure I nailed the grammar and reading section, and completely failed the listening section.
But I earned most of the points for listening.
I can’t really explain it :rofl:

7 Likes

Ah i bought the N4/ N3 courses for this as they were very affordable, studied bunpro and WK everyday for at least 2 hours. I still failed n4 by 5 marks? passed the listening and my vocab / kanji was A B A. So i guess my reading is where i flunked - i also used a crappy eraser which made a huge smudge across my page.

Not blaming it on the smudge as my overall grade wasn’t so high - however Ando-San’s lessons didn’t seem so helpful :sweat_smile: anyways just my two cents. Anyways overall i feel my Japanese has improved - except I have no cert to prove it :’(

6 Likes

I finally managed to take one of these tests and apparently I passed N1, so thanks bunpro :slight_smile:

The scaling for listening must be pretty generous. I didn’t sleep the night before and I know I zoned out completely during one of the later problems, but I still got 60/60. The other sections were not so generous (but this is where bunpro comes in).

14 Likes

@nekoyama Wow! Big congrats! You defeated the Japanese JLPT end-boss and are now officially ペラペラ :slight_smile:
Seriously, massive achivement. It’s something that a lot of Japanese learners will never be able to achieve in their lifetime (I count myself in that number!)

2 Likes

Well done everyone, those that passed and those for whom success has been deferred until another time!

1 Like

You know, I never opened the cert? I know I passed because I checked as soon as the grades came out online. My husband was working the day the cert arrived and I wanted to wait for him to get home and open it together and then I just…never did.

I don’t think Ando-san’s lessons are not very good for learning new material (and those skits are omg so cringe) but they do a good job helping to review things you already know. They also don’t really cover reading practice. There was a thread on the forums that went on for 12 weeks where we would practice reading signs (or pamphlets or whatever) from around Japan and answer questions about them. It’s a good way to practice and we all posted our responses under spoiler tags, so you won’t see the answers unless you want to.

Don’t let not passing get you down. The most important thing is feeling that you are continuing to learn and improve your Japanese!

2 Likes

And at the other end of the scale, I have my precious N5 cert framed and mounte…cough sitting on the floor of my office waiting to be mounted… I’m totally going to do it this week!

I like certificates too, but man, that’s too much information! :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Failed the N4 again, I actually went worse than in my previous attemp. My results were just overall bad, with no specific weakpoint. I suppose I just need to study less and practice more. Japanese still feels like, well, it feels like Japanese, a bunch of gibberish that if I try really hard I might be able to translate something, but naturally understanding anything is just way out of reach

7 Likes

Failed by one mark. So close and yet…

Not sure now if I should re-sit or just keep studying until I am ready for the next level. The second option is certainly cheaper :wink:

6 Likes

Passed N4 with 163/180. As expected, Listening was my weakest section, but not nearly as bad as I thought with 49/60. I would have tried N3 if not for my lack of confidence in my listening skills. I guess July 2024 is just around the corner, though, right?

7 Likes

was pretty sure I would need to sanpo again in december, but to my surprise I managed to scrape a pass for the N3 (105/180). Still debating whether or not I should try the N2 in December or next July. I’m thinking of just cramming N3 mocks for the rest of the year until I’m able to reach 160-180 consistently.

4 Likes

Personally I would keep going to N2 and have a try, knowing it’s probably not going to work out the first time, then keep going and hopefully get it the second time.
I can understand if you want to take time to consolidate N3 before moving on to N2 stuff later though, so long as you don’t lose momentum :wink:

4 Likes

I mean… I really like my N5 certificate but… just think about the paper cuts

1 Like