JLPT July 2023

I think the only technique I used was on the grammar section.

I skipped over the ‘star’ questions (the ones where you have to rearrange the parts to make a sentence and then circle the option that should appear where the star is) and started on the reading questions.

In theory it’s a bad idea, the reading is worth the same number of marks as the shorter star questions but with more content to read.

But for me, in practice, I tie myself in knots over the star questions and take a long time, eventually guessing most of them leaving me short on time for the reading part. Worse still they really make me panic and I freak out a bit.

I leave myself a fixed amount of time at the end to do them so it’s timeboxed without impacting other sections.

4 Likes

I hate those star questions too :sweat_smile:

Since the scores are scaled though, the reading questions are worth a lot more points than the grammar, so I think it’s worth spending more time on the reading questions.

On N3, there are 35 vocab questions and 23 grammar questions (so 58 vocab/grammar questions), and the score for these is scaled to a score out of 60.
For reading though, there are only 16 questions, but they are also worth 60 points, so each question is worth a lot of points.

1 Like

Start with reading. No worse feeling than having ten minutes left and realising you still have 3 full pages to read and answer.

3 Likes

Can you bring glasses, a glasses case and cloth for cleaning glasses to the JLPT exams?
How about a water bottle, or even other drinks etc.?

Can you also bring notes and textbooks with you in your bag to refer to until the start point of the exams, or even in the breaks? (Obviously not take them out and look at them during the exam though :roll_eyes:)

Struggling to find definitive answers to these online.

1 Like

In Japan?

Wearing glasses is fine.

You can bring anything you want to the exam in your bag, but when it starts you have to clear your desk space except for pencils, an analogue wristwatch and an eraser (out of the case). So glasses cases and cleaning cloth etc are not allowed to be out during the exam.

You can bring textbooks and whatever study materials you have and look at them right up until the test begins. Also, its completely fine to look at them and use your phone etc during the break between reading and listening part of the exam.

3 Likes

That’s great!
Just have to hope I don’t accidentally touch my glasses or something during the papers :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Turn off your phone. Don’t put it in standby or flight mode. My sister decided that she’d text me for the first time in months during the exam. Luckily I’d turned it completely off.

3 Likes

Also, this is just anecdotal, but when I took the test last year in Chicago, they actually provided pencils and erasers as well as a wall clock (contrary to the flyer which said being your own). I definitely say it’s good to bring your own stuff, but if you forgot then it might not be the end of the world.

(Also, bring some snacks to keep your energy up! I had some gummy bears and a banana between the reading and listening section and it helped a bunch. Just check the local rules on eating on the premises :))

4 Likes

Test vouchers should hopefully have arrived now and be available online (though it could depend on your location and how good your postal service is :sweat_smile:).

1 Like

I´m in germany and mine has arrived 1 1/2 weeks prior. It is sitting on my desk to remind me every single second of the day that I am not ready in the slightest

3 Likes

Just remember not to leave it sitting on your desk on the day of the exam :joy:

(Though you can print out the document from the internet as an alternative).

2 Likes

they have been given out to me and my friends in japan too

1 Like

For the first time ever, mine has not arrived. So I will just be printing it this time I guess

1 Like

It might arrive next week.
There are still a couple of weeks to go until the exam.
It’s good you can print it from the website as a fallback option.
I think it costs 10 yen from a kombini.

2 Likes

How will you all be spending the final week before the exam?

3 Likes

panicking

8 Likes

I can’t go! My job search took longer than expected (still didn’t find one) so my wife (I got married!) and I just decided to move to near Sapporo and I’d start doing some freelance gigs. The move is pushing my test off of my schedule, which maybe is for the best because the past 6 months I haven’t done any serious studying to focus on a bunch of programming nonsense.

I’ll be taking it in December (hopefully!)

Good luck everyone else!

7 Likes

Last time I failed N4 by a single point and I’m very scared of failing again lmao

5 Likes

Maybe this time, pass by a single point :slight_smile:
Or even just make the pass mark exactly.
I guess it doesn’t matter that much because a pass is a pass :+1:

3 Likes

I passed N3 last December with a, imo, very respectable 135/180 (pretty even points across subjects). So this July test I decided to try for N2, basically just been studying (besides you know, also working) for it since January. I have pretty low confidence but it’s already paid for so I might as well go and see. If I pass it’s gonna be just barely.

5 Likes