JLPT Winter 2022

The staggered opening for JLPT registration for USA is underway; JLPT 2-5 are open, JLPT 1 opens tomorrow 8/19. Anyone taking a swing at it?

https://www.aatj.org/jlpt-us

I’m still trying to decide what level to shoot for - I passed JLPT 4 in 2019, and covid restrictions kept me from trying anything else. I haven’t made a ton of progress since then, so I’m trying to decide between aiming realistically for JLPT 3, stretch-goaling for JLPT 2, or just taking a wild swing at JLPT 1 and using that as a roadmap. Or doing nothing - that seems more my speed.

4 Likes

i wanted to do the n3 by 2019 and then decided in the last second to go for n4. granted it was a freak n4 i barely passed by a few points. recently i finished n2 in bunpro and the city i have to travel to only offers n5-n3. so going for n3!

my advice:
if you do the jlpt just for a little adventure do the level you can comfortably pass. because there are alot of variables that can make even this hard. nervousness. lack of sleep because exitement. time pressure. a bad speaker in the listing part. an exeptionally hard jlpt year (the winter tests are rumoured to be harder than the summer tests)

8 Likes

opposite. N1 has been open since last week, the last test N5, opens tomorrow.

I’d decide soon. JLPT fully booked within hours last time, and depending on where you’re trying to take whichever level you decide, it could already be full.

3 Likes

It’s been a goal of mine for years to take it, but I always waffle on actually studying and forget about it. I put a reminder on my calender to sign up and registered for N4 yesterday. I haven’t studied Japanese formally since college 10 years ago and didn’t apply myself very well my final year so I’m a bit behind where I would like to be. But I think N4 is realistic for me. Not that I’d ace it without studying, but N5 is probably too basic for me, so I think trying to pass N4 will give me a more realistic idea of where I’m at. If I do well, hopefully I can do N3 next year. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Registration in Japan doesn’t begin until the 25th, and scores from the summer test aren’t posted until the 22nd. I’m likely taking the N2 again! I’m not changing my studying that much and just going to continue what I was doing before; I just need more study time is all. I feel like every month something I thought was difficult isn’t difficult anymore. I’m studying everyday so I just need to keep that pressure up!

2 Likes

The major cities in the east were taken in just a few hours for all levels, the support for this test in the US is pretty frustrating for both availability and no summer session. I did reach out to the AATJ to ask if please to contact if an opening or cancelation would happen to open up which they said they could but don’t be hopeful. Since there is no refund, the incentive to do so is zero however the the no-show rate is ~15-25%. But their advice was to consider another nearby city which for me would be like a 3 hour+ plane ride which is not reasonable to me.

Honestly I don’t know if I can be bothered doing my N1 again this year. The results haven’t even come out for July yet, but I’m certain I failed as I couldn’t focus at all!
I passed my teacher’s exam in Ibaraki this year, so I’ll be a normal teacher working in a high school from April. I can teach English grammar from Japanese and I know I have plenty of Japanese to be able to conduct myself in a Japanese workplace… so I just don’t know if I can be bothered now…

4 Likes

I was surprised how quickly the testing locations sold out. Thankfully, I noticed it on the N1 and N2 sections and was able to quickly register for the N3 when it opened.

I was originally planning to try for N2 by the end of this year, but decided to just stick with N3 as I would rather comfortably pass than have to push myself for the next 4 months and possibly still fail.

Now just have to keep grinding through listening practice as it’s my weakest skill. 😮‍💨

1 Like

I will go for N1 if I didn’t pass in July, but I have all but given up typical studying techniques and am just doing the immersion thing and reviewing things here and there. After years of taking of passing and failing JLPT at various levels, and then finally getting to a place to be competitive at N1 and enjoy Japanese content naturally it really dawned on me in July what a flawed test the JLPT it is. The listening portion is just straight up ridiculous.

I also want to kick start my Chinese and focus on other hobbies the rest of this year.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for the results of the N2 in July, but I think I passed. I planned to take the N1 test in December for the experience, but I think I’m not going to bother. I feel like I can’t effectively use N2 grammar in conversation or writing yet, so I want to focus on my foundational skills rather than cram for an exam I’m not ready for.

3 Likes

My wife and I are registered, I had an alarm set because I knew of the limited seats. :slight_smile: Glad it wasn’t cancelled like the last few years. we took it last in 2019. I like taking the test since it sets a nice goal and we make a day out of it since it’s ~1hr drive.

2 Likes

I’m going to try and get a seat for N5 when it opens up in my testing region on the 22nd. Doing it for the experience and to have something to show on paper for the time spent studying Japanese.

Going for N5 for the same reason. My listening comprehension really sucks and I think I can pass N5 scraping a few points in that section, don’t think my other skills are strong enough to carry listening at N4 where I’d basically be guessing.

1 Like

I’m not sure if I should aim for N2, I clearly don’t have the level at all. But I also passed N3 so… the next obvious one would be that one.

On other hand, I’d prefer to take a Kanji Kentei test instead, but those are more niche and hard to get an examination.

1 Like

I had planned to take the N3 after having passed the N4 last December. But even though I’ve been studying consistently and did an N3 prep course I didn’t feel very prepared. I did some N3 practice questions with a 50/50 success rate and wasn’t even really sure why the correct answers were the correct ones. I did better in the reading comprehension exercises that were included with the prep course, but not well enough to be able to do it in the time the test would allow.

So I started BunPro about a month ago and will see where I am by next year at this time.

I also logged on to the registration site “just to see” and all the seats in both NYC and Washington DC were full only an hour after registration opened. Seems like a sign that taking a step back was the right call.

1 Like

I took N3 last July. The results aren’t in yet but it felt easy enough. So whatever the results may be, I’ll be taking the N2 in December. I don’t think I will be ready yet, though. My goal is to retake it in July and be successful then. December is a training session to me ! No pressure ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wonder if the BJT is a more practical route. You can schedule whenever you want in a Pearson testing center anytime of year. Plus you can re-take it as soon as 3 months later and headphone audio, no pencils nor fumbling proctors or test room distractions. No waiting for a score either and the immigration points for visas are just as good as JLPT.

1 Like

I failed N3 by 10 points in July 2019, I rather do the N3 exam and pass it once and for all haha. I don’t feel like I have enough time to train up to N2, my vocab is really lacking.

The bigger question for me is where to take it. I am not sure where I will be in 4 months time haha. The JLPT is a nice “excuse” to visit and live with some friends for a bit haha.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I jumped in for N2, even though I’m nearly certain I’ll fail hard as I’ve only passed N4; hoping to see which parts I really bomb and use the results as a guide to focus on my biggest weaknesses.

If anyone is still considering taking it in the US, there are handfuls of seats open in different sites for all levels, but not many.

1 Like

I might do the same as you. I still have until the 30th to make the final decision in my country.

FYI London is sold out

1 Like