Kanji Input Support

I have been running into a issue and I’m curious what the best way to fix this would be.

Firstly I text fairly regularly in Japanese on my phone and iPad, but Bunpro only supports an english keyboard on iPad, and halfway on iPhone. I find myself in this weird position where I have to switch to english when typing on my iPad, and I have to not use kanji in my inputs with my phone. This is in App and In Browser, so I think it is a fundamental issue.

So simply put I have two problems.

• On iPad only English keyboard works, not any Japanese language keyboards.
  • On iPhone I can use my keyboards, but have to ruin my autocompletes by forcing kana only on words even if they should use kanji.

If anyone has an issue with this or has found some workarounds, or if the Bunpro team has any plans for extended keyboard support I would love to know!

Thanks

Sid

5 Likes

I feel like the autocomplete is not an issue since you are learning grammar here, not kanji. It doesn’t speed up writing that much with just a single short phrase. That autocomplete also feels like cheating to me most of the time.

I’d like to bring another issue here connected to this. Lately I’ve been doing my reviews with a japanese keyboard in kana mode, but the focus and shortcuts are so wonky I have to use my mouse to press all the answer and hint buttons. I’m guessing it has something to do with the Enter-key behaving a bit differently. This slows down my reviews significantly as I have to keep lifting my hand to my laptop touchpad (which is in an awkward position).

1 Like

I mean in one sense yes, but in the other sense no.

I write in kanji daily. If the idea that I’m trying to use comes to mind and i start to type it; then, I should be able to input it as soon as possible. I never fully type out everything in Japanese in my normal correspondence as technology has surpassed that need. It feels archaic. And even then my main issue isn’t really the autocomplete, as much as, the next time I want to use that grammar I have to re-teach my keyboard that I do in fact want to use the Kanji rather than the kana. If the input allowed for kanji then my issue would be solved.

I also agree with you on the kana side of things. I used to be able to use the space bar to advanced the clues etc. but that functionality seems broken as of late.

2 Likes

I feel your pain - I hate using the romaji keyboard to type in Japanese but I have to because I’m texting my friends all the time with my Japanese keyboard and if it doesn’t come out in kanji it looks weird. So yeah on BP/WK I always use my romaji keyboard.

:+1: to this issue. I’m using Bunpro with English pretty much disabled and I’m inputting Japanese, but when I try to input actually-correct kanji and hit enter, the app actually just does nothing :frowning:

I’ve been using BunPro for a long time and from what I understand they are eventually planning to allow Kanji input but have other more important things to work on like content and the mobile app.

Even though I also personally would like to type with Kanji the site currently works as is. So we’ll just have to wait for now.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m talking about.

I strongly feel that kanji input is a bad idea. If it was implemented, I would recommend against using it. In fact, even kana input using a Japanese IME can be counterproductive (as much as I’d like to use the flick keyboard for everything…)

Japanese IMEs learn words that you type, and will learn all the answers to your grammar points because you type them often, and spoil some questions for you. They will suggest common words even when you misspell them, which can make you learn words wrong without noticing.

They will allow you to select kanji based on possible readings even when the actual reading used in practice is completely different from what you typed in kana. Some grammar points also only apply to one specific reading out of multiple otherwise valid readings.

And when you’re so far off that the IME doesn’t suggest the correct answer, that too can give away that you’re wrong and sabotage the SRS.

You can theoretically misspell a reading that’s also the wrong reading for the grammar point, and then randomly choose the correct kanji because it looks vaguely familiar and appears in your IME’s suggestions because it’s common, and bunpro can’t tell you that you made a mistake because it can’t know how you got to the kanji you sent.

If you type in kana or romaji, it can tell you when you’re wrong.

If you use a keyboard that doesn’t learn from what you type, you can additionally avoid being spoiled.

Therefore I think it’s best to use a normal US or similar layout for learning tools like bunpro but also wanikani and so on.

Of course an app could easily implement its own flick keyboard (I’ve used apps that do that) and solve some of these problems and know exactly what you typed even if it supports kanji, but even then kanji that are available to pick from suggestions can at least somewhat spoil answers.

9 Likes

Fully agree with this. I used to want to type in the Kanji, but the number one reason I have since changed my opinion is that grammar points often use only one reading of the kanji, and you could reproduce the kanji by thinking up a valid reading that happens not to be the reading in question. Here are some examples:

- かた、がた
下 - か、した、もと (only the first and last can be used in the grammar point that means “under the supervision of”)
上 - じょううえ (both are used, but there is a difference between Xじょう and Xのうえで)
来 - らい、く、こ (only the first one is used in a grammar point as far as I know, although I don’t think this point is on bunpro yet, so I linked to the corresponding DoIJG entry)
中 - なかちゅうじゅう (の中で、を中心に)

You will notice that a lot of the potentially incorrect readings wouldn’t happen if you properly used the kanji in the compound. For a simple example, if I knew that I needed to use を中心に, I could first write なか and then こころ, but this issue would be solved if I had to write out the full expression before pressing enter, in which case I’d have to write をちゅうしんに, which is correct.

However, I believe that the allure of getting an answer correct by typing out the kanji in a disjoint fashion with the wrong readings would be too much, and upon doing so, we would tend to convince ourselves that we could have gotten the reading correct even if we did write をなかこころに instead of をちゅうしんに.

But even if you are 100% self-disciplined to write out the full expression so as not to have this problem of disjoint composition of the kanji with the incorrect readings, you could still end up with the wrong reading. I think one of the best examples of this is の下で. You could write this in one go by typing out のしたで, but in reality, its reading is のもとで. This problem would be further compounded by the fact that it can be directly appended to some nouns, and in that case, it takes the reading か. If the blank happened after the noun, you could incorrectly type out した and get the same resulting kanji.

TL;DR: There are many ways to fuck up the reading and produce the correct Kanji, even if you make a good-faith effort to avoid this.

For this reason, I would wholeheartedly disagree with the ability to input kanji directly in the answer field. However, what I would be in favor of is converting the answer into kanji AFTER having gotten the correct answer with the correct reading, and maybe have it toggle upon hovering, just like it is with the grammar points currently.

8 Likes

I came here to ask for Kanji Input Support. I’m leaving this thread convinced that it’s a bad idea.

Thanks for the concise reasoning.

5 Likes

I’d still like kanji input. I have the Mazec keyboard on my ipad and would love to be able to hand write the answers to get some more kanji writing practice.

1 Like