Let's play Standard Shiritori! しりとりをしましょう!

I noticed the old Shiritori thread died over a year ago, after lasting for like 6 months, so I figured I would start a new thread here.

Shiritori (しりとり) is a Japanese game in which the players are required to say a word which begins with the final kana of the previous word.

Rules

1. A word ending with restarts the game.
  2. Neither verbs nor い adjectives are allowed.
  3. Repeating the same word within a game also restarts the game.
  4. In case of short vowel kana (しょ), the new word can either start with the full kana (しょ) or the little kana (よ).
  5. Long vowel multi-kana (にゅう, ちゅう, …) and two-kana overlap (こう,…) are allowed.
  6. Adding/removing a dakuten or handakuten in the last kana is also allowed.
  7. Please add the reading and meaning of your word, either in words or pictures. No romaji!
  8. In case there is a double reply (i.e. two people playing at once), the next person can just choose from one of the two words to continue the game.

Example Game

• Person 1 - 倉(くら)warehouse
  • Person 2 - 落書き(らくがき)graffiti
  • Person 3 - 曲(きょく)tune
  • Person 4 - 訓練(くんれん)training
  • The game restarts since the previous word ends with ん

There is also a kanji version of しりとり going on in this thread for anyone interested!

Let’s learn some vocabulary together! I’ll start with something we all love:

文法(ぶんぽう)grammar

18 Likes

What a fun idea~ I just did this earlier this week with my classmates (たのしそうね、今週のさっきにクラスであそんだの~)

嘘 (うそ) lie

5 Likes

捜査(そうさ)investigation

3 Likes

三角 (さんかく) triangle

1 Like

空港 (くうこう) - airport

fun game!

3 Likes

馬跳び (うまとび) (game of) leapfrog

2 Likes

微生物(びせいぶつ)microbe

1 Like

微妙 aka the word I get wrong every single week in Anki (びみょう) - subtle/delicate/sensitive/1000 other things evidently. Are na-adjs still allowed? I guess I don’t get rule 2 since there’s still words that begin with い.

Oops posted at the same time I see, I’ll gladly take the prize as the first loser in the thread! :slight_smile:

猫 - ねこ cat

3 Likes

Yeah な-adjectives are fine since we probably won’t be including the な. I just included that rule since it was a rule in the last thread, but I think it’s so we don’t force too many words that start with い or う. I can remove it if people don’t like it!

And no worries - you didn’t lose :slight_smile: The double replies will probably happen. The next person can just choose from one of the two words to make their answer with!

I’ll roll with 猫 since it’s the last one in this thread for now:

粉(こな) powder - Just learned this one on Wanikani tonight.

1 Like

軟骨なんこつ - gristle

2 Likes

通貨(つうか)currency

Thanks for fixing the title @matt_in_mito :slight_smile:

1 Like

烏(からす)crow

4 Likes

姿(すがた)- figure/shape

3 Likes

rice field :upside_down_face:

2 Likes