Shiritori

Shiritori is a Japanese game, whereby you take the last kana of the previous word and make a new word starting with that kana. If someone writes a word ending in ん, they lose and the game starts again.

RULES - Please read before playing

1. The final player who cannot think of a word not ending in ん, please type your word and finish the game, then start a new game with a new word. The aim is to keep going for as long as possible though.
  2. No verbs or い adjectives, since they all end in the same う and い sounds respectively.
  3. The word you submit should start with the final kana of the previous word, not the kanji.
  4. Feel free to add furigana and/or an English definition if you want. Whatever you are comfortable with, but please don’t debate this in the thread. Also please feel free to add the reason why you chose the word - maybe it’s particularly unusual or you really like the kanji.
  5. No words are to be repeated within the same game.

For example:
日本語(にほんご) (Japanese) ⇒ゴキブリ (cockroach) ⇒リンゴ (apple) ⇒ゴム (rubber) ⇒ 無言(むごん) (silence)
The game finishes here because the final word ended with ん.

Let’s share some of the vocabulary that we know!

I’ll get us started with something simple:

漢字(かんじ)(kanji)

5 Likes

I will take you up on your offer. But let’s add another rule. That it has to be somewhat complicated words or interesting or something that people can at least learn from. No point in replying with things like 時間 or 辞書 :slight_smile:

My reply would be:
自殺

5 Likes
爪切り

つめきり・nailclipper

I think that might exclude some people though. Maybe just try to find the most interesting word you know, without keeping it up to external standards?

Also I propose this format for answering, since you can try to guess the reading and meaning first now. There are no spoiler tags on this forum unfortunately, so I guess this will make do.

7 Likes

But that’s the point. It allows people to learn new complex words. If they don’t know something - it is literally one dictionary search away. I think it is a good opportunity. At least I’d love to get exposed to new vocab that I haven’t encountered previously :slight_smile:

理解

5 Likes

@Kuromaku @Pep95 fair enough - let’s just go with what each individual is comfortable with.

移動

4 Likes
動詞

どうし - Verb

Feels fair to say that it should be up to the particular persons vocabulary level, and using a dictionary kinda defeats the point of shirtori honestly.

4 Likes

@Sidgr just to let you know the following word should begin with the previous word’s final kana, not the final kanji, therefore your word should have started with う. Let’s move on and I’ll go with:

敷金(しききん)- a security deposit, usually on an apartment or other property.

3 Likes

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd I just realised I ended the game, literally just at the time I posted that we should try to keep it going for as long as we can :joy: Sorry.
OK fresh game. Let’s start with

蜻蛉(とんぼ)(dragonfly)

This is actually the name of my local izakaya where I am very regularly so it’s special to me :wink:

3 Likes

Oh yeah fair enough lol

母語

ぼご – Mother tongue

4 Likes

ゴリラ

2 Likes

I’ll play.

来週

4 Likes

鰻(うなぎ)Eel

2 Likes
銀行

ぎんこう - Bank

4 Likes

うわさ・Gossip

@mrnoone @Jake could the spoiler functionality be added for this? It is much easier to just blur some furigana instead :wink:

<ruby>簡単<rt>[spoiler]かんたん[/spoiler]</rt></ruby>

簡単[spoiler]かんたん[/spoiler] :sob:

3 Likes

さくさく

4 Likes

クマ (Bear)

3 Likes
魔神

まじん - Evil Spirit

4 Likes

You just ended the game :slight_smile:

I will start a new one then :slight_smile: