Let's play Standard Shiritori! しりとりをしましょう!

We’ve done multi-kana overlap before, I’m not sure why we have to start a new game over this. It is Kanji overlap but it’s still playable, no?

3 Likes

That is so, it is really getting confusing. :sweat_smile:
The rules should have to be ammended then allowing long vowel multi-kana (にゅう, こう,…) and two-kana overlap.

田舎いなか

EDIT: I add 売上高うりあげだか (sales) to keep the previous flow.

3 Likes

We’ve had a number of long vowel overlaps this past month (i.e. 微妙 → 名字) and previously had the 「こうこう」 word chain recently, I didn’t think it was still in contention at this point. Are we allowing it moving forward?

火曜日かようび

3 Likes

Indeed! Custom makes law!
(Though it would be good to record it for future players.)

美妙びみょう - elegant, exquisite

4 Likes

Perhaps we need a new しりとり thread? One that includes all of the amendments that we’ve agreed on in the past. Now that we have two threads going on simultaneously, I feel like the rules are getting mixed up. It would be nice to be able to reference the OP to refresh our memory (and also for newcomers, who will definitely not know them unless we keep repeating them).

What do you guys think?

3 Likes

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

If we do this, it would be the third しろとり topic, the actual one (this same one), which started at the end of August 2021, being the second. The first one was created back in December 2019 and had a feature that we should include in the new one: it was wikified. I think we sould do the same with the new one.

It would be nice if the creation of the third しろとり topic would be accompanied by the closure of the current one, something we could kindly ask the admins to do for us.

Another possibility would be to reach the creator of this topic (blacktide) and kindly ask him to wikify it.

4 Likes

You literally read my mind. I was thinking we should do exactly that! The only thing is I need to check out what you mean by wikified, as I wasn’t aware of the first しりとり thread. I’ll probably be fine with it though.

3 Likes

Glad to hear it!

By wikify I mean to make a topic Wiki (see below) so that anyone can modify it. @NeoArcturus did it temporarily on the 漢字尻取 one, so that I was able to include the example sequence.

EDIT: @Jose7822 , please note that NeoArcturus has made Wiki his entry with the updated rules and that I have ammended it to include the fifth rule about kana overlap.

3 Likes

The problem is, only Regulars (and above, of course) and mods can make their posts a wiki :sweat_smile: But I like the idea! I think mods can make posts of other users wikis as well.

If we make a new thread, who wants to do that? I have no problem with doing that, but someone else can do it as well if they’d like to :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a Regular guy, so I can do it once we tidy up the updated rules.

I would like to keep the same name. I don’t know if this is feasible once this topic is closed, though.

3 Likes

Ok then! For gathering the updated rules, I think it’s a good idea to write the rules down somewhere in a single post for a better overview.

So, feel free to add the updated rules in this post! Imma just copy paste the rules from the OP for a start haha

No, it isn’t possible to have a thread with the exact same name as another thread in the forums. Luckily, regulars can also rename topics, so we can add a “(closed)” or something similar in the thread title once this thread get’s closed.

Updated rules:

1. A word ending with restarts the game.

2. Neither verbs nor い adjectives are allowed.

3. Repeating the same word within a game also restarts the game.

4. In case of short vowel kana (しょ), the new word can either start with the full kana (しょ) or the little kana (よ).

5. Long vowel multi-kana (にゅう, ちゅう, …) and two-kana overlap (こう,…) are allowed.

6. Adding/removing a dakuten or handakuten in the last kana is also allowed.

7. Please add the reading and meaning of your word, either in words or pictures. No romaji!

8. In case there is a double reply (i.e. two people playing at once), the next person can just choose from one of the two words to continue the game.

4 Likes

Oops! @Pablunpro

Looks like we were editing that post at the same time, lol. I’ll try again later then :blush:.

3 Likes

Finished! Go ahead!

3 Likes

I think we were here? Let’s see… 上野(うえの)Ueno

I would be in favor of making a new thread, mainly because this one has just gotten so long!

4 Likes

野蜜 (のみつ)= wild honey

3 Likes

I did that in 2019?? Seriously?? Where has my life gone?

蜜柑みかん

6 Likes

Indeed you did! And you also wrote みか:yum:

しりとり!

5 Likes

oh ffs the other day I mistook the kanji one for the kana one, and not I’ve made the opposite mistake…

3 Likes

I’m getting old so I can’t concentrate anymore.

Let’s have つち

4 Likes

Welcome to the machigatta-curabu. I forfeited the first 漢字尻取 game doing the same thing.

We should get a badge for this. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes