Let's play Standard Shiritori! しりとりをしましょう!

色々 (いろいろ) - various

5 Likes

老人性(ろうじんせい)ー senile

4 Likes

いま - Now

4 Likes

まねねこ

3 Likes

強盗 (ごうとう) = Robbery.

2 Likes

In traditional Kanji Shiritori, at least the one I played,

1. No repeated words
  2. All readings are fine, 相手 to 手段 would be acceptable
  3. Kanji can end in ん、 but words cannot end in 々 or 者, as no or very few words begin with these Kanji
  4. Multiple Kanji Overlap is fine, like 学校生活 to 生活費, but your word cannot consist of only overlapping Kanji (so just 生活 would be out)
  5. No kana allowed, so words like 焼き鳥 are a no-go. If words are normally written in only kana but have Kanji variants, even rare, these are okay.

Take these rules with a grain of salt, but that’s how I learned personally and the rules I think work the best.

さて、次の単語は
梅干うめぼ

1 Like

I like these rules. That said, for rule No. 3, I think words ending in 々 should be accepted. Simply use the first Kanji, since they’re supposed to be the same after all. Also we should get rid of rule No. 5. As long as the word doesn’t end with Kana, it should be fine to have them. We’re usually going by the last Kanji anyway.

Those would be the changes I propose. What do you guys think?

次のは:
死亡 (しぼう) = Death.

4 Likes

Hi!

I like rule 2, your ammended No. 3 rule better and would get rid of rules 4 and 5. We should keep this simple to make it attractive.

次の言葉は… 梅干うめぼ

3 Likes

肉合い (ししあい) = fleshiness

4 Likes

The issue I see with getting rid of rules No. 4 & 5 is that we’ll run out of options quicker. I don’t think they make the game more complicated, but the opposite. However, that’s just my opinion. I’ll let you guys make the final decisions and I’ll roll with that. It should be fun either way.

次のは:

医師 (いし) = Doctor.

3 Likes

:thinking: :yum: rule No. 4 is OK, though.

しの

2 Likes

Haha! Sorry. It’s 5am here, so I guess I need some sleep :joy:.

What I meant was the modified rule No. 5 I provided earlier to be OK. Hope that makes more sense. Oops! :sweat_smile:

微妙 (びみょう) = Subtle (and other things).

3 Likes

なるほど!

You mean your ammended rule No. 3 (words ending in 々 should be accepted)! Yeah, I thought it was a better rule.

2 Likes

I mean this :point_up:. So rule No. 5, which prohibits the use of Kana at the end, but with the change that it allows Kana elsewhere.

But yeah, also the change I suggested to rule No. 3.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Here’s my opinion:

I’d definitely include this one!

I would include this one as well

I agree on 者, but I agree with @Jose7822 on 々

I personally wouldn’t include the first part of this rule, I agree with @Pablunpro and @Jose7822 here. I’m not sure about including rare kanji variants of words that are normally written in kana, though :thinking: I personally think that this might not be too bad.

I think that would make the game indeed a bit too complicated? I’m not sure though, we can include it if you want.

名字(みょうじ) = surname

2 Likes

Here are my thoughts:

• Words ending in 々 - agree that these should be treated as if they were the previous kanji
  • Kana in words: As long as the word ends in and is primarily kanji, I think it should be allowed.
  • Overlapping Kanji: I’d be ok with that since it might spark more word ideas.

自転車じてんしゃ - :biking_man:

5 Likes

シャボン玉 (しゃぼんだま) = Soap Bubbles 🫧

4 Likes

毎日(まいにち)everyday

4 Likes

窒死 (ちっし) = death from suffocation

3 Likes

心中 (しんじゅう) = Double Suicide/Couple’s Suicide.

2 Likes