Lifetime Membership

Nice. I’d certainly buy it if it was cheaper, though. Unfortunately, a single dollar is ~5.5x my currency – so lifetime Bunpro is almost the minimum wage here. :sweat:

3 Likes

ちょっど同じ考えと思います。アシャさんとテテラさんが優しい心をあるね。(╹◡╹)

4 Likes

Hm, where are you from?

I would highly recommend getting startet with kanji, specifically WaniKani (because it is the best application for learning kanji, simply put). It is easy to feel that one should “master” one thing before starting on another, but I really think it is a good approach to do many things at a time. You can start doing WaniKani but keep the workload low. I think that it will make the grammar a lot easier, because you will learn a lot new words and recognize so many kanjis.

Congrats on joining forever!

one of us… one of us…

6 Likes

I didn’t hesitate to get Lifetime and I would do it again. I have the flexibility of pausing my SRS and going back to it plus the holiday deal is excellent (and I can use it however I want in the future). I’ll have the grammar glossary for life which I use all the time. BunPro is arguably very underpriced for the value it provides. Plus, I’ve been adding my own custom sentences. Some numbers for perspective:

$120 is ~ 6 italki lessons for six hours assuming $20/hr pro teacher

First google hit for Japanese major was Stanford University so an extreme example. They charge ~$1200 per credit hour (and then consider a 120 hour undergrad schedule). So just pretending, a 4 credit course and 15 weeks…your cost to attend a single day class is higher than your lifetime subscription to BunPro :joy: There are other examples like the price for language school both in US and going to Japan which are price heavy, perhaps Europe is better but I wouldn’t know.

To keep BP growing, I think users like to see updates no matter how small even though there are areas of improvement. The site has grown considerably since I started. I know they make fixes and updates and don’t report it; I think users like hearing the site is continually being polished or fixed. The growing community engagement is another, WK has had a lot of success in that regard that developed their fanbase. I was so glad find others around the world studying as I do and an invaluable resource.

6 Likes

For context: 120$ is just a little bit more than my rent which include funding all communal stuff (taking care of trash, renovation and so on), hot and cold water plus heating. I usually even get refund if winter is warm. (It would be more expensive if would not own that flat)

So for many people it can be quite a lot of money. And Poland is not the cheapest country of there. Not even close.

I don’t say I would not be able to afford this, but it is far from the amount that I would spent without second thought.

Monthly deal looks far more reasonable to me.

2 Likes

That is true, the currency conversions are brutal for many people so almost any site like this needs an affordable model so a variety of users can access it. So you can imagine issues of some countries and people trying to access a lifetime account for WK for ~$300…it’s pretty crazy. So I would agree that Lifetime is not for everyone and definitely not a matter of anyone being cheap or anything; that would be horribly disrespectful. Certainly there are many students that don’t have expendable cash or just a variety of economic backgrounds that just want to learn. The prices for education in the US is ridiculous, it’s a real issue.

But I would stand by the ‘value’ in dollar amount of BP compared to other learning methods by dollar amount…I feel those are completely overpriced for the amount compared to the content and engaging hours we get here on BunPro. It’s also noteworthy for anyone studying the language, the yen is priced reasonably close to the dollar (minus some ups and downs). Assuming most would like to either visit Japan (or just Japanese products) using their language skills, I’m sure the currency issues are never ending.

6 Likes

Bunpro clearly seems to be worth over 2000$. Problem is nobody would pay that. xD

We are use to getting valuable stuff for free actually. Look at facebook for example: for some strange reason hard for me to understand people find extremely valuable. If you would count up all services they provide they probably should charge people over 100$ per month. But they charge quite a little: just give us data and you attention and you can have it for free :hugs:

Pricing is messy thing. Actually this was bothering philosopher for ages: why water is cheaper than diamonds? :joy:

3 Likes

Can you imagine BP tracking our searches and making us watch advertisements between reviews? Or better yet, all our review sentences are nothing but an ad campaign? :laughing:

6 Likes

It would be actually not bad option for people from let say poorest part of Africa. They usually have some kind of access to the internet even if not on every day basis, but few bucks maybe too much to ask. That’s why I love sites like:

https://www.khanacademy.org/ where poor kids can learn basic stuff for free and it is presented in such a way it is possible to pick up English during doing that.

It is amazing how better world became recently. There is fewer and fewer situations without solution.

3 Likes

I always go for the lifetime memberships because not having another monthly payment stacked on the two dozen or so I already have has its own value. I’m one of those people where a monthly payment of $19.99 or whatever is a much harder pill to swallow than a 3-figure price tag for a one-time buy.

6 Likes

Brazil. But I’m satisfied paying monthly, it’s not bad. $3 dollar is a bargain.

5 Likes

Got lifetime this year. I’ll make good use of it. That said, this is an excellent resource that’s being improved and updated all the time. I consider it an investment in the community as much as my own education.

8 Likes

I wish you good luck! After reading the comments, I once realized even more how privileged I am. I had not really thought about that the price for applications like these appear very different in other parts of the world. I live in Norway, so 120$ is about 1/5 of my rent.

8 Likes

Yes, it would be nice if the prices could be localized to cost-of-living indexes, but the criminals are a little too good and finding ways to arbitrage profit out of different prices in different areas. Some organizations seem to be able to offer special regional programs that prevent users from selling/sharing ID’s to other regions, which of course gets messy from an administrative perspective.

Welcome to the “lifers” group and we wish you good speed with your studies — all questions welcome!

4 Likes

Brasil? Eh nois :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah, Godspeed to everyone one making this commitment :hugs:

1 Like

I also got lifetime subscription after trying it out for one year. Many thanks and best wishes for the Bunpro team!
This website is just irreplacable currently for me. You can study vocabulary/kanji using Anki cards, but grammar - not really.
It’s also way more affordable (twice as cheaper) as a study resource than for example WaniKani

10 Likes

Standard price — if you’re patient, you might get a sweet sale price on WaniKani (I did)… and Anki is a steal as well!

3 Likes