Lost streak

Did you change your timezone in the BP settings or something? AFAIK, that recalculates things.

I have the same issue. I had a clear 21+ streak all October so far, just realised that one day about a week ago is now suddenly red for no reason. Certainly no timezone changes whatsoever. Had the same issue in September too.

1 Like

@mrnoone can I please be a pain and ask you to reinstate my almost 2-year study streak? I have a reminder set on my phone each day so I have no idea how I missed it but…
As a birthday present? Please?

sorry to hear, ouch, that would be very frustrating😟!

1 Like

@Dosde @severian I experienced the same recently and I think it may be due to the BP team replacing/removing some of the old sentences?

Just a hypothesis

1 Like

@mrnoone @Pushindawood pretty please? :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Are there no changes planned for improvements to this system? Once again, I lost my streak for no reason I can understand. One day I had a roughly 850-day streak, the next day I had a 2-day streak. I do my reviews every day, so I have no idea what happened.

Then again, I’m not sure I should care. I assume there are no badges anymore at the level I was at, in which case it doesn’t really matter that I lost the streak. It’s just a number. But the badges are far more compelling.

I know the system tries to keep the badges a secret, but in this case I’m not sure it’s a good thing. Knowing whether or not there is another badge waiting for you is kind of important for satisfying gamification. If there is no reward for continuing to increase a number, you might as well let the user know.

3 Likes

Not to be rude, but how did you have a 850 day streak at level 44?

1 Like

Maybe a reset? I think you keep your streak through that.

1 Like

If you can remember, try to write down exactly what you did in bunpro for those days leading up to the streak resetting. What time of the day you did reviews, if/when you crammed, etc. Did you change any site settings during that time, etc.

To my knowledge the last badge is at 365, unless a new one is added but I doubt they’d put one after that because a full year straight of review is a massive milestone. There’s been numerous threads about streaks so I’m not even gonna touch that with a ten foot pole hahaha just try to have fun and worry less about the streak and more about the journey is all I’ll say!

1 Like

By going slow and steady through my learning. Not everyone is ultra-focused on Japanese learning. For me, it’s something I do between my two day jobs, which means there is only so much energy and time I can dedicate to it.

3 Likes

I like your attitude, man, please keep going.

1 Like

Understood, but I study about once a day as well and have only been doing so for about a year. Again, no disrespect intended, but I don’t understand how it’s mathematically possible.

I think what @ggw1776 is asking is, did you reset anything along the way, or did you take on lots and lots of ghosts? :slight_smile:

It’s totally possible. I am also a slow learner. My current streak is 571 and I’m level 46. I also work full time and between Anki, WaniKani, Bunpro, italki, reading etc… I get my reviews done and 1 or 2 new grammar points a week.

5 Likes

I can say that I have lost my streak twice before, I dont know the reasons, but these are my theories.
The first time was because I had a streak with multiple 1-review only days, it might have been that a grammar point got removed, so the review stats dissapeared (?), or that the time-zone changed and that review got shifted to another day.

The second time might have been because I did my reviews in one session, but the session window was up for a very long time. My theory here is that the session might have timed out even though everything worked, result screen showed percentage etc. but didnt upload any stats. I just closed the page after seeing the results and noticed the next day that I had 0 reviews that done the prevoius day.

My advice is that after you finish your reviews and end up at the score screen - always click back to your profile to make sure stats have been uploaded.

This is what happened with me.

Is it possible to change the time a new day starts? In Anki, we can set the start time of a new day to like 5AM, so that people like me who sometimes study before 12AM and sometimes after 12AM have more flexibility in order to maintain their streak.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Anki streak doesn’t work like that. Setting the new day to start at 5AM just means the new cards appear at 5AM, but if you don’t study at all and then midnight hits your streak goes down to zero.

With the way bunpro works I don’t think anything like that is even remotely possible. The only thing I would recommend would be to change your timezone to something that fits when you study but that’s just going to lead to a million other problems if it’s something extreme and is 1000000% not worth it just for a streak number

1 Like

British Summer Time saved my 161 day streak yesterday. It don’t reset until 1am so I was lucky and managed to get my reviews in after midnight. I know the pain though, I missed a day at Christmas and lost Aug-Dec, otherwise I would be coming up to my 365 badge soon.

1 Like