Update - Jan 4, 2021

Agree 100%. Even if there are things to fix, it’s counter-productive to personally attack the devs who spent time on improving the user experience when they didn’t have even have to in the first place.

I say the new dashboard functions really well as a summary of my progress, and it looks great! Good work devs, I’m happy to be a Bunpro user.

2 Likes

I love it.

I would’ve preferred a WK style forecast with hourly breakdowns but my workload in bunpro is so small that it’s not a big deal for me.

The “now” section in the forecast is a bit redundant as the current review count is already in 2 other places on the same page.

Fix those JLPT Progress bars.

1 Like

Aside from some basic design choices that I personally don’t like on the review forecast like the “now” bar and the inclusion of a number date even though it only shows one week at a time, it is also just broken (or really unintuitive).

When I check the API, it says that I have 20 reviews available next hour. Likewise, the forecast says that I have new reviews in a couple of minutes. However, the bar for “later today” is completely blank.

Also, speaking of, can you please add back the available next hour counter to the forecast? It was really useful for knowing exactly when I should check back to do my reviews (for instance, I could take longer breaks when I knew there would only be 2 reviews within the next hour).

This is such a massive step forward.

The margins are great on Firefox, and it’s nice how it resizes itself with the window and on my smartphone.

The study button shows two new items and it went directly to the study screen.

The reviews button correctly shows 10 when I started and 0 when I finished.

The streak and xp numbers are huge, which is consistent with modern website design to be easily read on smartphones.

The profile progress bars are now formatted to make the numbers look neater than before. It probably could use a tweak to make the bars themselves even.

I’m glad you spent time on this. This has a clean, modern look to it, and I’m sure this addresses comments from users that you’ve received over the years.

And on top of that I’m glad that I can return to Bunpro everyday to learn a little more grammar and learn a little something special from the community. Bunpro is literally the first thing I want to do every morning.

:blush:

8 Likes

I absolutely love the new graphical representation of the reviews coming up over the next few days. However, I lost the ability to see when my reviews are coming up later in the day. Bunpro is a high enough priority that I will plan things around my upcoming reviews and it is tough to do that without knowing when in the day they will be.

1 Like

Thanks so much for spending time on this guys… Just a bit of feedback for you (mostly replying to others who have already replied.)

Seconded. This is pretty annoying as it looks like I have something I need to do.

This is really strange, as the more my percentage goes up, the more the percentage on the new home screen goes down…

As a PC user I disagree. I think on the PC interface it looks quite nice.

I noticed this too. Not aesthetically pleasing, but I imagine this will fix itself soon, whenever the N1 grammar point count goes over 100.

@nekoyama What time zone is your BP set to? I was doing it first thing every morning too, then the clocks went back by an hour in the UK and I lost my streak. I then changed my time zone to Japan and had @Pushindawood reinstate my streak. I don’t know if this could be your problem, but that’s just an idea.

Exactly. There are always teething problems with big changes. Just hang fire for a bit.

I’m not sure where to stand on this one. I think it looks OK, and we do need to attract more people to the community - we sometimes go whole days without even one post. But yeah three separate ways to get here does seem a little overkill… maybe…

I like this idea. Can’t see it happening soon just after a big update though.

Yeah I agree that this would be cool. With ghost reviews, I imagine everyone’s looks pretty similar - with most reviews being over the next couple of days and then hardly any afterwards.

This 100%! Please support the very small team as much as you can. They’re doing their best and want genuine feedback, nothing that’s going to make them think they’ve wasted their time.

Overall, I really like the new look and I think that although a few things need tweaking (not entirely overhauling) I think it’s a really good thing and a good step forward for the site. Looking forward to what the site has to bring us in 2021!

7 Likes

The naming of the hourly and weekly settings for the review forecast are a little inconsistent.
The weekly view shows a week’s forecast, but the hourly view shows a day’s worth of a forecast.
Thanks for adding this feature. I find this more fine grain information more useful.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Glad to hear that so many of you are like it! :pray:
@nekoyama @gyroninja @Kuromaku @Neko @ko_pp @HotAirGun @Pep95 @Melanthe @MZa @Ambo100 @Moje @mikeoppenheim @matt_in_mito
I have pushed the following changes live:

• Fix for progress bar spacing
  • Toggle for hourly breakdown of reviews
  • Removed the redundant “Now” column
  • Fixed issues with progress bars loading twice
  • Fixed issues with the way banner
  • Fixed math with summary, oops :sweat:
  • Changed the study tile to calculate if you actually have any or are at the end of a JLPT level.
  • Changed how assets are served to hopefully solve some speed issues

Thanks again for the words of encouragement as well as the harsh criticism. While the former is easier to hear, receiving the latter is still an important part of making Bunpro better.

23 Likes

Thank you very much for that, it is a wonderful feature.

5 Likes

Oh my god that was so quick! Thank you for your dedication :blush:

3 Likes

We have a review process before changes are pushed live and when a change is a mess or disappointing, we say so and click the thumbs down icon and then it gets fixed before customers see it.

Sometimes Americans try to give me participation awards when I fail; I hate it when they do that. It’s really difficult to do my job properly when the difference in responses between great, good, bad, and terrible is so tiny.

Anyway I see some of the issues have already been fixed, so thumbs up for that.

Eh review processes aren’t a silver bullet, they don’t catch everything and are less effective in small teams… Even in large teams things still slip through. We do exploratory/user testing and have about 15 touch points before we even start dev, sometimes you simply don’t know about an allergic reaction until you push it out because you’re just too close to the product, this is why AB tests exist. WIth smaller teams sometimes it can be more effective just to fail fast and respond quickly (like they have done).

Participation awards indeed have no place and feedback should not necessarily be sugar coated, however effort should always be recognised and it’s always possible to give constructive feedback quite easily without being a dick about it - If you have a certain dynamic within your team internally that permits such language then go for it, although personally I find it to be a bit tone deaf. Given neither of us are American perhaps it’s just a cultural difference (I want to guess Eastern European?).

9 Likes

Wow! Thanks for addressing our remarks and requests so quickly! Great job!

One more detail: it would help if in the hourly forecast review there were a vertical bar at midnight or something to easily distinguish between days. Whatever, it is a great add-on to better organize one’s work.

2 Likes

Thank you :hugs:

And could you perhaps save the toggle value to load the same forecast the next time we open the dashboard? :3

(Also, it’s just a minor detail but I’d prefer a 24h format, could you add a selector/toggle under the timezone on the settings page please? :stuck_out_tongue:)

I don’t know if this is something you can control or if it’s handled by a third party code but if the images on Cloudfront can’t be loaded (blocked by uMatrix in my case), there is no limit to the attempts. Because of that, the dashboard never stops loading and the display has a seizure x) (quickly fixed by changing the uMatrix settings in my case but you never now when there can be a DNS or network issue with the same effect 🤷)

4 Likes

So I’ve heard a lot of people who had unreproducible slowness issues, might it be that all these users have a similar uMatrix extension installed?

1 Like

I don’t know, it probably would not work at all if it was because of uMatrix as it blocks the request altogether :thinking:

Also, I don’t remember experiencing slowness on desktop and I don’t have any extension on my phone’s browser 🤷 (where the problem is probably the network)

(repost to be a proper reply)

1 Like

@Jake

The hourly forecast is telling me that I have one review now but when I click on the Review button, it redirects me to the old dashboard where the next review is said to be in “about 7 hours” (so two issues here: the invalid count and the redirection to the wrong dashboard)

頑張って! :slight_smile:

Edit: if it helps debugging, I did have 10 reviews at the top of the hour (9AM UTC), maybe some cache-like variable is not properly reset or something (although 1 is not 10 ^^).
Also, the bar is back to 0 now that the hour changed.

1 Like

Yeah I have almost never experienced slowness on desktop, and only very sometimes on mobile where I have to press the next button again, and it acts like I’ve tried to submit an empty input field. But that’s about it.

1 Like

Loving the feature, this was the only thing that I was really missing on the new dashboard.
Any chance you could make it so it stays on hourly breakdown instead of changing back to weekly every time you refresh/come back to the page?

2 Likes

I love it! It reminds me more of wanikani than the old one. I always wished the interface was more like Wanikani. Definitely a thumbs up from me!