N1 Update! - February 5th, 2021

The third batch of N1, Lesson 3 is here!

たる(に) - to be (in a position of), as a, for

(の)なら〜で - if ~ should, before ~ should

をものともせず(に) - making nothing of, ignoring, in defiance of, regardless of, disregarding

にはたらない - no need to, cannot, not worth it to, not suitable

ものと - think that, believe that, expect that, have confidence that, absolutely

Cheers, and stay safe!

18 Likes

The fourth and final batch of N1, Lesson 3 is here!

まえて - based on, considering, keeping in mind, taking into account, therefore

ゆえ - because, the reason is, due to, therefore, so

Noun1 + という + Noun1 - every single, each and every, emphasis, everything that could be called

にとどまらず - not limited to, not only…but also, not stopping at

おもいきや - thought…but, when…thought that…but, despite having thought…

Cheers, and stay safe!

18 Likes

The first batch of N1, Lesson 4 is here!

いな - whether or not

たら〜で - even if, if

べくして - as expected, meant to, supposed to, destined to, sure to

まま(に) - as (one likes/feels/pleases), spur of the moment, wherever one fancies, spontaneously, on a whim

かれ〜かれ - or, either or

Cheers!

21 Likes

I’m impressed by the pace at which you have been putting these out! This is easily becoming the most complete one-stop-shop for Japanese.

6 Likes

Everyone liked that

8 Likes

The second batch of N1, Lesson 4 is here!

る〜に〜ない - cannot even…if wants, would like to…but cannot, wants to…but cannot

なくして(は) - without, if not for

のなんのって - so much that, extremely, very

にかかっている - to depend on

てやまない - never cease to, always, sincerely・greatly, from the bottom of one’s heart

A request from @Asher
This past year, Asher and his partner, Haruna, have put a considerable amount of time and effort into recording, editing, labeling, uploading, and sharing audio for Bunpro.

Please send @Asher a direct message or reply to this thread if you would like to reach out to Haruna. Cheers!

Lifetime Sale
In case you missed it, Bunpro’s Lifetime Membership is on sale until January 7th, 2021.

Cheers, stay safe, and happy holidays!

15 Likes

The third batch of N1, Lesson 4 is here!

くらいなら - would rather…than, rather than, better off

ってば・ったら - I said…!, I told you…!

ずとも - even if not, without, don’t have to

とあって - since/because/due to … (it is no wonder that)

でもなんでもない - not or anything, not at all, not really, by no means, definitely not, nothing like that

Happy studying!

20 Likes

Heh, this one feels like JLPT6 :slight_smile:
People usually learn it when they are 10 while watching children cartoons.

3 Likes

Japanese people or non-Japanese? Because the learning styles of the two aren’t even comparable.

3 Likes

I knew that form before starting learning Japanese. It is so often used in anime that it is hard to not notice it. I believe Naruto use it a lot, so I was able to recognise it like 10 year before starting really learning the language.

1 Like

I feel like you could say that about many aspects of the JLPT though. There are some very simple kanjis classified as N2/N1 not because they are difficult but perhaps because of their frequency of use. Anime speech is worlds away from how people speak in daily life, and every grammar point/vocab/kanji needs to be put into some level of JLPT so a few are bound to end up in “odd” places.

2 Likes

Important thing to remember too is whilst you may know the grammar point and its functionality, the nuance behind it may be another reason JLPT decided to plonk it at such a level. Very easy to ってば and not necessarily grasp that it’s used to convey specific emotion, etc.

I went ahead and plonked it in my reviews despite not being at N1 yet in my path and having encountered it elsewhere so often. It’s always good to get extra practice in, even on “the simple stuff”.

6 Likes

The fourth and final batch of N1, Lesson 4 is here!

に至って・に至り - when it came to, only when, only after, go as far as

だに + しない - not even, not at all, never could have

がてら(に) - on the occasion of, while … as well, while … (one is) at it, during, along the way

Verb[ない]んがため(に) - in order to, to, for the purpose of

(の) + いかん + に関わらず・によらず・を問わず - regardless of (whatever … is), irrespective of (whatever … is)

Happy studying!

15 Likes

https://japanesetest4you.com/jlpt-n1-grammar-list/

There is that list. You probably can double it to make it better for bunpro.

2 Likes

Here are my personal estimates of when N1 will be done (not meant as criticism or pressure, just to set expectations for people who are planning on doing the JLPT tests in July or December):

At a fast rate of 5 grammar points every 10 days, N1 could be complete with around 220 grammar points in 268 days (9 months) or by October 24, 2021.
At a slower rate of 5 grammar points every 13 days, N1 could be complete with around 220 grammar points in 349 days (11.6 months) or by January 13, 2022.
If I had to put money on a date of completion, I’d go with the second half of November 2021.

I could be wrong as perhaps the recent dashboard and search engine updates indicate that the team was hitherto more split in a wider array of projects rather than just adding grammar points and hereafter they’ll be more consolidated in their efforts. Taking that into account, there’s a chance it could even be done faster than the fast prediction but I don’t exactly see that happening, especially when the Covid-19 situation is clearly going to remain dire for at least the rest of this year, complicating things on a professional and personal level for everyone everywhere (as already expressed by the Bunpro team previously in this thread).

TLDR; If you’re planning on taking the July JLPTN1 like me, I’d say make sure to get another resource in hand. If you’re going for the December JLPTN1, you can probably afford to wait and spend your time on Vocab and Immersion instead (as well as doing practice tests which help a lot since the JLPT is very formulaic and frankly easier to crack than comparable C2 tests for European languages).

7 Likes

The first batch of N1, Lesson 5 is here!

Verb[volitional] + にも~ない - cannot… even if one wants/tries, would like but cannot, wants/tries but cannot

い-Adj[く] + もなんともない - not… or anything, not at all, not, by no means, definitely not, nothing like that

に至っても - even when

Verb + だに - just, even just, even merely

~なり~なり - or, either or

Cheers!

24 Likes

Thanks. I am wondering though will bunpro by then complete grammar?
Or will there still be *uncategorized * grammar point. Just curious😁
I am not even done with N4 yet

1 Like

I hope for this to be happening :hugs:

5 Likes

@MacFinch’s answer is part of it; I often find myself speaking Japanese with friends and being very conscious that if I only knew JLPT grammar, I would not understand a lot of what they say nor would I be able to express myself in a way that is appropriate to the informality and closeness of our relationship.
But there’s also archaic grammar that is at least somewhat familiar to most Japanese people as they are taught some classical Japanese (though the amount and persistence of it should not be overstated).
In the end, though, I think Bunpro should and perhaps is going to focus far more on becoming a JLPT one-stop-shop. This would mean adding non-production ways of studying grammar which the team has already expressed an interest in doing.

2 Likes

@Pushindawood @mrnoone
It’s been a while since the last update. Any news on what’s coming next? :pleading_face:

Also, since I started attending language school here in JP I also noticed that there are quite a few grammar points missing in N3-N2 levels as well. But I guess that’s to be expected, as different textbooks teach different grammar. But it would be nice to see it added eventually (after finishing N1?).

4 Likes