N3 L1 Reading Discussion

This is a discussion topic for the N3 Lesson 1 reading passages.

Read on Bunpro

1 Like

Can someone explain the last part of the sentence?
ζœ€θΏ‘γ―οΌ‘γƒΆζœˆγ»γ©ζ―Žζ—₯ゲームばっかしやってる。
I’m pretty sure ばっか is casual for γ°γ‹γ‚Š but how does it go together with the last part? What is しやる? Is that a grammar point? Is that a dialect for する? How would this be different if it was:
ζœ€θΏ‘γ―οΌ‘γƒΆζœˆγ»γ©ζ―Žζ—₯γ‚²γƒΌγƒ γ°γ‹γ‚Šγ—γ¦γ‚‹γ€‚

1 Like

The way I read it it’s ばっかし (nothing but) + やってる from γ‚„γ‚‹.

ζœ€θΏ‘ / は /οΌ‘γƒΆζœˆγ»γ©ζ―Žζ—₯γ‚²γƒΌγƒ γ°γ‹γ‚Šγ—γ¦γ‚‹γ€‚

Recently / topic marker / 1 month / (span of time) / everyday / game / nothing but / do

Recently (the last month) you’ve done nothing but playing that game.

I can’t guarantee it, but it matches the official translation of β€œRecently, for about a month you have done nothing but play every day!” pretty much, so I feel fairly confident.

Hey!

γ°γ£γ‹γ‚Š is how people say γ°γ‹γ‚Š in a conversation to emphasize what they are saying. γ°γ£γ‹γ‚Š ばっかし and ばっか, are just different ways of saying γ°γ‹γ‚Š in a casual conversation, and the meanings of those aren’t really different. People use whichever is easiest to say, and different people might have a different interpretation for each of those words.

@mathijsdm is right, it is ばっかし+γ‚„γ‚‹+ている. As stated above, how people interpret the word can be different, but the meaning is mostly the same. To me, 毎ζ—₯γ‚²γƒΌγƒ γ°γ‹γ‚Šγ—γ¦γ‚‹ sounds like β€˜All you do is play video games everyday’, and 毎ζ—₯ゲームばっかしやってる sounds like β€˜All you do is play video games everyday’ with a slightly more passive aggressive nuance.

1 Like

Ah. I see now in my dictionary that there are many spoken forms…
γ°γ‹γ‚Š
γ°γ£γ‹γ‚Š
ばっか
ばかし – marked as colloquial
ばっかし – marked as colloquial

@Fuga @Jake @Asher
My question is, how would I even know to look that up?
– These grammar points don’t mention the alternates:
γŸγ°γ‹γ‚Š | Japanese Grammar SRS
γ°γ‹γ‚Š | Japanese Grammar SRS
γ°γ‹γ‚Šγ  | Japanese Grammar SRS
γ°γ‹γ‚Šγ« | Japanese Grammar SRS
γ°γ‹γ‚Šγ§γͺく | Japanese Grammar SRS
– There’s no note in the reading to explain these conversational forms.
– ばっかし in particular is a spoken form.
– I only happened to know ばっか from reading it once before.
There’s not enough information to understand this.

2 Likes

Good point Fred. A lot of these are actually quite common, but will almost never (if ever) appear on the JLPT. Naturally though, that is not a reason to not at least expose students to them. I will add a note to the caution section of each of these points highlighting the possibilities, but also stating that they need not be learned for JLPT purposes.

As for γ°γ£γ‹γ‚Š, I would not consider that one an alternate form of the word, rather than simply an emphasis sound change, something that is possible with almost any word.

1 Like

Only if there’s a note where you expose them to it, to help explain the non-standard word usage. Otherwise, it’s a word that has no context.

Normally I’d agree, but I’ll refer you to my dictionary, which labels it as a common spelling, in contrast to ばかし・ばっかし which it calls a colloquialism. (My dictionary is imiwa on iPhone.)

2 Likes

I actually meant including a note on the grammar page itself here, so that an extra note on the reading is not required. However it can’t hurt to have a note in both places!

Monolingual dictionaries list all forms as colloquial forms of γ°γ‹γ‚Š, which comes from θ¨±γ‚Š. As the furigana elements of words cannot be changed, changing ばか to ばっか is not possible (for a real word) except when it comes to words like する and くる which also tend to drop the kanji, as they are rule breakers. Of course things that get used alot slowly get adapted into a language over time, and then eventually accepted into dictionaries, as is true for all languages.

I will include all of the forms on the grammar pages :blush:

2 Likes