N4 Humble Grammar Points

I’m struggling trying to understand when Bunpro is asking for いらっしゃる, いたす and なさる. The hints all say something about humble or honorific but for me, its not enough to be able to know what it wants and its driving me insane. Any pointers?

View on Bunpro

Are you struggling with the definitions of “humble” and “honorific”?
humble – refers to language that lowers the status of the speaker
honorific – refers to language that raises the status of the listener (or receiver of the verb)

It might help to show a specific example here to understand what you’re struggling with.

1 Like

These might help:

Problem with honorific forms

Difference between these 3 honorific "to be's"?

Of the three, only いたす is humble. You use this when speaking to your boss or someone higher than you about something you will do. 私はそれをいたします. I will do that.

Both いらっしゃる and なさる refer to the actions of those higher than you.
社長はいらっしゃいますか. Is the boss here?
社長はそれをなさいます. The boss will do it.

1 Like

Several questions related to this, すみません、thanks for any help, よろしく御願いします。

1. If the translation should be recruting, shouldn’t the answer be 募集いたしています instead if one really wants to use いたす?
  2. f the translation should be recruting , wouldn’t 募集しております be more natural than 募集いたしています if one wants to use ahumble grammar?

You could use しております here, but its equally fine to use いたします.

You wouldn’t say いたしています, いたしております is correct keigo, but this is verry formal so you wouldn’t say it in this situation.

In Japanese, simple ます form verbs can sometimes express what would be present continuous in English, this is one example.

1 Like