N4 L3 Reading Discussion

This is a discussion topic for the N4 Lesson 3 reading passages.

Read on Bunpro

In 動物園 there is “374>” which I think was accidently inserted considering it doesn’t show up in the translation and doesn’t make much sense.

I just want to “check my answer”, as it were; in the fourth line of dialogue, where she compares the hamburgers from before to the current one. When she says "美味しくできた”、it can be said to be something like “making delicious has been completed”, right?

Right. Then できた is usually translated as “I made it ~” or “it’s ready”.
(A common phrase ごはんできたよ! is the equivalent of “Dinner’s ready!”)

1 Like

Anyone else find this confusing?
孫たちは、動物園に連れてきてくれてありがとう。夢のような楽しい時間だったと言いました。
As for my grandkids, they said ‘thank you for taking us to the zoo, the time was so fun that it was like a dream’.

Shouldn’t it have brackets 「」:
孫たちは、「動物園に連れてきてくれてありがとう。夢のような楽しい時間だった」と言いました。

Otherwise, as I was reading it, I was like “why is the grandfather thanking the kids? oh, it’s probably the kids thanking the grandfather? or maybe the kids had to help the grandfather so that’s why he thanked them?”. The passage never said who took who – you just assume it’s a stereotypical old man with small children. And then 夢のような楽しい時間, I thought it switched back to the grandfather’s thoughts, but then と言いました means that was the kids’ thoughts. Very confusing.

1 Like

As nobody answered the question yet, I’ll say that I have misread it the same way.
Maybe someone will see it and answer the question.

1 Like