N4 L7 Reading Discussion

This is a discussion topic for the N4 Lesson 7 reading passages.

Read on Bunpro

I know that γͺいです and γ‚γ‚ŠγΎγ›γ‚“ are equivalent, but I noticed in these N4 L7 readings there’s a lot more use of γͺいです than I’m used to.

Examples:

パニγƒ₯γƒΌγ‚’θ¦‹γ•γ›γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγͺγ„γ§γ™γ‹οΌŸ
他にはγͺγ„γ§γ™γ‹οΌŸ
申し訳γͺいです。

Is there a trend that I don’t know about? (eg. more commonly used in certain regions or among different age groups?)

1 Like

Hey!

In the context of the reading passage, γͺいです sounds more natural since this is not a super formal setting. Also when talking to a server, it is common to be polite, but not γ‚γ‚ŠγΎγ›γ‚“γ‹ polite, as it would seem a bit stiff, unless you are in a super fancy restaurant. This does not mean people don’t use γ‚γ‚ŠγΎγ›γ‚“γ‹, but just less common in these kind of situations.

1 Like

That makes sense but what about the other direction? From the last two readings, the εΊ—ε“‘ says…
他にもご注文はγͺγ„γ§γ—γ‚‡γ†γ‹οΌŸ
他にはγͺγ„γ§γ™γ‹οΌŸ
申し訳γͺいです。

Is this normal? Would it still sound normal if the server is 20 yrs old and the customer is 60 yrs old? (In particular, I’ve always heard servers say to my friends and family η”³γ—θ¨³γ‚γ‚ŠγΎγ›γ‚“γ§γ—γŸ.)

The first two I have heard being used frequently in a restaurant setting even though it is not the politest way of saying it. As for the the third one, this one is common, but it will most likely result in the server being chewed out by an older customer if they are having a bad day. 申し訳γͺいです sounds a little friendly/casual with some politeness, compare to 申し訳ございません or η”³γ—θ¨³γ‚γ‚ŠγΎγ›γ‚“, so although it is okay to use 申し訳γͺいです, it will be best to use 申し訳ございません or η”³γ—θ¨³γ‚γ‚ŠγΎγ›γ‚“ to apologize to a customer.

1 Like

Interesting! That helps. Thank you for your insight!