N5 L2 Reading Discussion

This is a discussion topic for the N5 Lesson 2 reading passages.

Read on Bunpro

The furigana for 二人 says “ににん” not “ふたり”.

1 Like

Yes! I have just seen it! 二人 should be read as ふたり.

1 Like

@rwmleach @Christophegand
Sorry for the late answer! (for some reason this part of forum was muted)
I have fixed the error!

Cheers!

Notes for the first text have anotations 2 and 3, but I cannot see those in the text.

PS: Oh, I see those notes are on the english translation, sorry.

I didn’t really undersatand the notes for this one. Are they saying the name Sam wouldn’t be used so frequently in real Japanese text )in which case why did they put it in?). Or something else?

The point, which is a very important one, is that you don’t need to repeat names or even the subject (he/she) once it’s been established. Phrasing of the note could be a tiny bit better I suppose, but it’s basically saying that unless the subject being discussed changes, you don’t need to explicitly reference it.

The passage is simplified for the sake of beginner reading, but as you see more sentences you will see how sometimes it seems like a sentence is incomplete because the sentence didn’t state what it was talking about. In this case, the previous sentence set the tone and setting, and since the second sentence didn’t alter that subject, there was no reason to think it could be about anyone else.

That was probably a horrible explanation sorry LOL someone can probably make it better than me but it really is something you’ll notice if you keep doing the readings on here. Good question!

1 Like

Is there any difference between 父とテレビ見ます。and テレビ父と見ます。?

The latter of the two テレビ父とみます doesn’t sound natural :+1:

What is な part of これはヒルトンとリッツカールトンなんです。? I clicked on the link which led me to のです and noticed noun + な + んです. But, な link went to な adjective. There’s no adjective in the sentence, just two nouns (Hilton & Ritz-Calton)?

You’re correct. There’s no adjective but な is used to connect nouns to んです.
@Jake I’m not sure that link to な is intended?

1 Like