N5 L4 Reading Discussion

This is a discussion topic for the N5 Lesson 4 reading passages.

Read on Bunpro

Regarding the title on the first piece;

for the phrase ‘talking about’ why is it

ついって話しています

whereas titles on NT L3 reading had

ついて話しています

1 Like

@jrmr50 Hey!
That was an error, all fixed! Thank you for finding it and sorry for the inconvenience!

Cheers!

2 Likes

no problem, thanks for the quick fix, it was a new word for me

2 Likes

あなたも車か?

is it down to the context of the previous sentence as to why it means Do you also like cars and not You also car?

1 Like

It is あなたも車 not あなたも車か

Let’s try looking from the wider perspective at the whole sentence:
あなたもくるまきですか.

If the sentence is complicated, it is best to start from the end:

marks question
車が好き
to like cars
あなたも
you too

車が好きですか?
Does (someone) like cars?
あなたも車が好きですか?
Do you also like cars?

I hope it helps,
Cheers!

1 Like

兄はテニスをするなが好きです

The translation has it as He likes to play tennis whereas in isolation it means (my) older brother likes to play tennis - is that a translator’s short-hand in action there

@jrmr50
Check the post above :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you

I’m having lots of fun, and trying to understand… putting the parts in the right order is tricky!

2 Likes

@jrmr50

No problem!

It is, but we are here to help you :+1:

1 Like

Wouldn’t “あそこの白い色の車いいです” be translated as “That white car over there is also nice” or “That white car over there is nice too” instead of just “That white car over there is nice”?

Also, what is the significance of なん in “テニスサークルがある大学なんです”? How does it differ from “テニスサークルがある大学です”?

1 Like

Good catch! The reading has been updated to reflect your suggestion. I agree the も there adds either of the nuances you’ve pointed out.

~んです is a separate Grammar Point. It becomes なんです since it’s connecting to a noun (大学). Check out the write up for more information!

Hope this helps, happy studying!

4 Likes
テニスサークルがある

Is this missing a ?

テニスとサークルがある

If not, is there a grammar point somewhere that explains when it can be omitted in an enumeration? Is this specific to がある?

Hi there! I had a question regarding the first section.

あそこのゴルフ場 and ここのレストラン ~ I was wondering why use あそこの instead of あの, and ここの instead of この? Is there some sort of nuisance? Or would あの and この still work?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :star2:

1 Like

Hi!

Using あの and この would be perfectly right (that golf course, this restaurant).

The nuance introduced by the use of あそこの and ここの would be best grasped by a more literal translation: ‘that there’ (that there golf course = the golf course that is over there) and ‘this here’ (this here restaurant = the restaurant that is over here).

HTH!

1 Like

There’s no enumeration, テニスサークル is “tennis club” (lit. tennis circle)—not to be confused with サッカー (soccer).

3 Likes