N5 L7 Reading Discussion

This is a discussion topic for the N5 Lesson 7 reading passages.

Read on Bunpro

On the first one, regarding the sentence 京都に行ってもいいです、the translation has it say “Even going to Kyoto would be nice,” but I am confused by how the nuance of “Even” comes from that sentence. Is it just the context of the sentence beforehand?

1 Like

You’re on the right train of though, I would imagine it’s based on context of what the previous person was saying/implying. A little hard without more explanation or hearing it actually spoken! I’d take a look at these example sentences to get a better idea of when (even) can be implied through text

1 Like

Thank you very much.

1 Like

For this one, it is (most likely) based on Bさん’s initial statement. Bさん first said 沖縄がいい (Okinawa is good). Then after the question about whether or not Kyoto is ok, he thinks back to his initial statement about Okinawa and then thinks ‘Even going to Kyoto would be good!’ (compared to going to Okinawa).

Note - This is only ‘probably’ where the も comes from. Even if he didn’t say も, it would still be a natural sentence. も only changes the nuance slightly, and can even sometimes be used about things that people are thinking, rather than what they actually said. Or the も can sometimes be linked to things that come later. For example 京都に行ってもいい…んだけど、それよりオーストラリ
アに行きたい!‘Even Kyoto is good… but even more than that I want to go to Australia!’

There’s an issue with the English translation of コーヒー.

I’m coffee, egg, and salad.