N5 L9 Reading Discussion

This is a discussion topic for the N5 Lesson 9 reading passages.

Read on Bunpro

Thanks for making these! They were automatically hidden for me when I went into the forums, refreshed the readings today to see they were up! Here’s a couple of potential errors I noted the other day:

• [first passage] より~ほうが looks like it should be the highlighted grammar point instead of より
  • [first passage] 弟の健は Based on the translation I assume this is a slight error
  • [first passage] Mom’s english translation is missing after 太郎 says 起こしましょうか
  • [third passage] highlighted grammar points link to wrong items
1 Like

Yes, came here to point out that there’s a missing line of translated dialogue on the first passage.
I think the mum says it would be better to wake him than not as he has to clean his room today.

I am having a bit of trouble breaking down and understanding the following sentence in the third passage:

「私もコーヒーを飲みすぎくらい好きですよ。」

How does this translate to “I also like coffee to the point that I overdrink it”? How does 「くらい」in this case modify the sentence?

1 Like

私も - I also
コーヒーを - coffee
飲みすぎ - drink too much
くらい - to the extent (look at the second reading on jisho)
好き - like
です - polite form it is
よ - emphasis !

working backwards to form the yoda style sentence

it is like to the extent drink too much coffee I also !

now, this is where I just try to get the feel of the sentence and englishify it, you have to engage translator superpowers here…

I also like coffee to the extent that I drink too much

hth

3 Likes

I see! Thanks for the explanation.

I have only gone through the whole of N5 (using bunpro’s lesson order), so I wasn’t familiar with the 2nd meaning of 「くらい」.

1 Like

I’m halfway through N4 and it’s not updated, just need to reference a dictionary.

Could someone help explain this usage of で in the title of the second passage 《夫婦で旅行》? It’s translated as “A Couple’s Holiday”. I would’ve translated 夫婦旅行 as “Travel/Traveling with a couple”, and I would’ve translated “A Couple’s Holiday” as 夫婦旅行.
Does 夫婦で旅行 imply that there’s someone else traveling with them (私は夫婦で旅行する)?