New Bunpro Mobile Apps! - v0.4.0+71

I also came across this but I think this is in part because the reviews are loaded in a webview and are not native.

Hopefully when they have the native implementation we will be able to have two separate settings for browser and app visualization.

5 Likes

Could I also get access to the Android version please? :slight_smile: Thank you!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been waiting for a native app for so long. :pleading_face:

Bunpro has done amazing work the last few months, I canā€™t believe how much has changed!!

All that said, could I please get access to the Android app? Thanks :blush:

3 Likes

This is awesome, nice work BunPro team!

I canā€™t wait for the more polished version(s) in the next couple of months.

And I would also give a +1 to the others asking for a dark mode. Iā€™m so used to it on all of my other apps on my phone.

6 Likes

Would it be okay for me to try the Android App? I would love to practice while on break at work.

3 Likes

I was having an odd behavior when I switch between the tabs, it seems like the grammar tab animation is only programmed to go in one direction so it is a bit jarring when you go from the search to the grammar tab.

Also I got blank text boxes like you see above

2 Likes

Yeah, it happens on switch from search to dashboard. We have it fixed for the next patch :+1:

2 Likes

Sweet! Look forward to trying it.

1 Like

To be honestly I personally think the web wrapper approach to app design is an awful experience, and has an unignorable fatal flaw. I thought that this was going to be a fundamentally new design, and in terms of the dashboard UI it is, but when I load reviews I just get pulled into a modified web view.

I understand why as it allows you to work on the mechanics of the back separately and universally for all platforms. Mostly this would be a good thing. But again this was my complaint with the previous app and why I never used it.

Two things font/veiw scaling and input method

If my phone interprets the app as a web veiw it make it so hard to have a font size that works right. By that I mean is readable, Doesnā€™t require scrolling and allows me to learn rather than focus on UX.

This pairs with the other flaw of Bunpro which is Input. If I cannot use my Japanese keyboard on my phone when learning Japanese, really what is the point. In every other context when I use Japanese on my phone I use that keyboard. Typing Japanese in romaji on the phone Is fundamentally counterintuitive and there is a reason why Japanese people donā€™t do it.

I know the counter arguments, auto suggest will spoil you, Kanji input is hard to parse, etcā€¦ it doesnā€™t matter if after one review I am frustrated with the experience and give up.

I hope this taken well, but I just need to let you know this before you go on ahead making an app that is broken in design.

I love Bunpro, I support the team wholly, I have evangelized for you since I signed up 4 years ago. This is a great community. I donā€™t want you waste your time to make a mediocre app, when honestly just using the browser is 99% the same and more convenient.

4 Likes

Hey @Sidgr , thank you for the comments!

Donā€™t worry about the web wrapper. We agree itā€™s hardly ideal, and itā€™s not worth wasting our and everyoneā€™s time when (like you correctly pointed out) you can just use your browser.

Right now itā€™s just acting as a stopgap. It WILL be replaced by a native in-app review system that makes the most of that environment. You can check out the Roadmap at the end of the post for more details!

We just wanted to get the Alpha out there as quickly as possible to quickly get feedback, iterate and improve as the rest of Bunpro is built. 갗恫恗ćŖ恄恧ļ¼

7 Likes

Havenā€™t checked, is there a ā€˜muteā€™ button like on Flamin Durtlesā€¦ find myself using that often.

2 Likes

Hi @jake can I get access to the android version please?

2 Likes

On the iOS version, I donā€™t get badge notifications appearing unless I go into the app and manually refresh my review count, which sort of defeats the purpose of badge notifications. Not sure if this is a shortcoming of TestFlight, or if itā€™s something Iā€™m doing, orā€¦?

6 Likes

The app on iPad is looking great !!! I wasnā€™t expected something that great for an alpha on a bigger screen.

I downloaded the app on iOS but only used the iPadOS version for now, because ā€¦ bigger screen, always there with me etc. I donā€™t know if the app is available on Mac ARM (some TestFlight iPadOS app can be used on mac because itā€™s the same architecture), I will try one day and keep you in touch if thereā€™s any issue on desktop (just for the fun/test, a desktop app probably isnā€™t your priority).

Feedback
Small suggestion : Is it possible to enable Scribble ? (Scribble = the ability to write text using the Apple Pencil). I really would love to be able to juste write like a paper, writing manually helps me a lot when memorizing stuff :wink:

Edit :slight_smile:
Ok, itā€™s just a web wrapper xD Not a native app, thatā€™s why Scribble is not working ā€¦ Itā€™s not a hybrid app or native app using the default text field, but generated with JavaScript instead :smiley:

4 Likes

@JCalandr
Hey!
At the moment only reviews are not native, and we plan to add native implementation within few months :+1:

4 Likes

This is exciting! Please add me to the approved list so I can use it on my phone @jake :smiley:

4 Likes

@jrmr50 would you mind giving me a bit more detail about the mute button? whatā€™s it for, why do you feel like you need it? Iā€™d like to pick your brain on it a bit!

@JCalandr I also use Bunpro on my iPad too! Itā€™s really comfy. And donā€™t worry, tablet-specific responsiveness IS on the talks, so itā€™ll look even better. As for Scribble, it canā€™t be enabled for Japanese as Apple is yet to officially support it. You can write romaji, though itā€™s a bit weird.

4 Likes

Iā€™d love to get access to the Android alpha if possible! Email address is the one associated with this account.

3 Likes

Itā€™s normally when Iā€™m doing SRS in bed last thing or first thing, when the house is silent, everything sounds super loud. On Flaming duties thereā€™s a big bell icon at the top I can press to mute the app, but itā€™s presence there is a reminder to use it. Then Iā€™ll switch to bunpro and hurriedly have to turn down the volume when the first answer is blurted out at max volume.

3 Likes

If this iOS app is goodā€¦ This is really gonna change everything for me.

2 Likes