New Bunpro Mobile Apps! - v0.4.0+71

@kush @Superpnut The Android app is out of review: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/bunpro.jp.bunpro_srs

4 Likes

Forgive me if this is obvious, but whatā€™s the benefit of having to download and use a separate app instead of just using the site on mobile?

1 Like

@Jake Yes hello thank you.
I clicked your fancy link and it says I might have to wait a few hours before I can download. Thatā€™s okay I will try in the morning to download it on my phone.
恊ē–²ć‚Œę§˜ļ½žļ½ž

1 Like

@fjdksleiwoqp No such thing as a bad question. It will allow us to implement many community-requested features that just arenā€™t possible with a webapp/website. For example, Offline Mode or Review Notifications, to say a few. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

Iā€™m getting a notification that the android app isnā€™t available for my phone :sob:. I have a year and a half old Galaxy Note 10+ model SM-N975C running os version N975CONU1DVB1 / N975CRKT1DVB1 / N975CONU1DVB1.

Iā€™ve had similar issues in the past with apps like my American banking etc, possibly because this is a JP Rakuten version of the phone? Idk but I was really looking forward to having those review badges on my homescreen :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Hey hey! Could I have access to the Android version? Iā€™m putting in my login details and it says an Error Occurred

1 Like

Scribble in japanese was added in iOS15, but if you want it to work, you need to first choose Japanese as keyboard :wink: If you keep the Eng keyboard, the strokes are converted to English letters randomly even if you write kanjis with the pencil. Enjoy your kanjis now :smiley:

3 Likes

I think you have a slight issue on login. If you mistype your password is says ā€œAn error occurredā€ instead of saying incorrect password.

2 Likes

@DrummaBo512 What are you using to log in? Currently, the app doesnā€™t support username login, so make sure youā€™re using your Bunpro email. Are you still having trouble? It can also be what @Superpnut is mentioning. (Thanks by the way!)

@JCalandr I am super happy to be wrong about that one!! I think the problem is that right now we only accept hiragana, but at least it can be used that way. Could you double check if Scribble works on the login screen?

2 Likes

I logged into the website this morning, then used the same login info for the app and Iā€™m still getting an error saying ā€œError occured (typo on the error message). Try again later.ā€

I tried clearing the appā€™s cache, then uninstalled and reinstalled but still no change. The forgot password button doesnā€™t seem to be functioning either - not sure if thatā€™s intentional.

1 Like

Version 0.2.0+10

Reviews Due Notification

• You can now opt into receiving notifications when you have review due. This will only be triggered when you current stack of reviews gets to zero and then more become due.

Notification Messages

• There is a bell icon with a dropdown menu of recent review notifications, similar to those one the Bunpro website.

Changes

• Change community posts to use a better method of showing time ago.
  • Add indicator of which grammar points are studied in Grammar and in Search
  • Add support for listening mode
  • Add support for more settings (font size, color blind assistance) still a work in progress.

Bug Fixes

• search ā†’ Dashboard, weird colors
  • Hide Show English issues
  • Last Session data is filler data

Styling

• Changed size of play buttons and show English buttons.

Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback so far. The app is very much still a work in progress but we have lofty goals for what it can be capable of.

As you continue to use it, any and all feedback you have would be greatly appreciated it :bowing_man:

6 Likes

I assume the app takes a while to appear on the play store?
Itā€™s still the version from the 30 of March.

1 Like

Yeah it does.

2 Likes

I seriously doubt this application needs that much authorisations on Android.
I wonā€™t install it until you sanitize that.

1 Like

You mean permissions or Google Play staff reviews for publishing?

Because on my end is not asking for a single permission.

4 Likes

Not working either ā€¦ Itā€™s perhaps a text field lookalike editable only after we click on the area ā€¦ (If thatā€™s the case, the solution is to use a UIIndirectScribbleInterraction (Ex with code here at 10:30))

From playstore

This app has access to:

Photos/Media/Files

• read the contents of your USB storage

Device & app history

• retrieve running apps

Storage

• read the contents of your USB storage

Other

• control vibration
  • full network access
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • run at startup
1 Like

While Iā€™m all for privacy and they are valid concerns, other than the retrieve running apps, the other ones I can find an explanation to them.

The developers might be able to correct me if Iā€™m wrong:

• read the contents of your USB storage (Offline reviews when implemented, I think there should be a toned down permission that only gives access to a partition and not the whole storage)
  • full network access (Iā€™m not aware of limited network access being a thing)
  • run at startup (Notifications)
  • control vibration (Vibration on wrong answer?)
  • prevent device from sleeping (This is common among these kind of apps, you donā€™t want the screen to go to sleep during reviews or lessons)

The ones I donā€™t see:

• Full Screen Intent (I think this one might be overkill for notifications)
  • Read app running and usage history (Why?)

Also it varies on the android version, take in mind Android has recently revamped the permissions usage to give app developers the ability to limit more what they request.

The differences with my Android version is ā€œThe application may request access toā€

As you have seen in my screenshot before, the app didnā€™t ask for these permissions.
But Iā€™m only speculating, maybe @Jake or @Daru can give more detailed information.

3 Likes

Thank you for pointing this out! Like @Megumin mentioned we do need permissions for some of functionality. Stuff like access to photos isnā€™t something we need or use. It is likely a default permission setting that we havenā€™t expressly removed.

Either way, we will look into it and get it patched. :+1:

5 Likes

My wording was harsh but your response is what I expected, thanks.

5 Likes