New Feature: Your Path + Steps (September 9th, 2026)

Hey everyone :wave:

We have a shiny new addition to Bunpro to share today!


:world_map: Your Path + Steps

You may have noticed a new Your Path / Next Steps section appearing on your Dashboard.

The idea behind it is pretty simple:

As you make progress, Bunpro will give you Steps for content and activities that are relevant to where you currently are in your Japanese journey.

That means when you have learned all the Grammar that a specific Topic, Reading Passage or JLPT Practice Test covers, you will be given a Step letting you know that you are now ready to go do those things.

So, rather than needing to know everything that exists on Bunpro and go digging around for it yourself, or wonder when you should do it, we can start bringing the right things to you at the right time.

:footprints: What are Steps?

Steps are little prompts for things that are worth doing next. Some will be the obvious stuff, others can point you toward parts of Bunpro that you are ready to make use of, but might not otherwise know to look for.

Once you finish a Step, it changes color and is ready for clearing from your Next Steps list.

Screenshot 2026-09-09 at 09.42.16

You can also look back through the Steps you have completed in the past via the See Steps Taken button in Your Path.

:open_book: Helping you know when you’re ready

One of the things we are particularly excited about is how Your Path can now connect your progress to all the other stuff hiding around Bunpro.

As we add more Steps, we want this to apply to more and more of Bunpro, not just helping surface useful things at the point where they actually make sense for you, but also surface new features and content we release that you may just not know about.

:sparkles: This is just the start

What you are seeing now is v1.0 of the system. We wanted to get the foundation out and put the core Steps in for Reading Passages, Topics, JLPT Practice Tests and Kaijugation, while having it in place for a few big upcoming projects.

More types of Steps are already planned, and over time we want Your Path to get better and better at connecting the different parts of Bunpro together.

So expect to see more things appearing on your Path as we keep building this out.


🏄‍♂️ New Onboarding

This update also comes with a pretty major change for new Bunpro users.

Previously, new users went through a lengthy onboarding experience before even seeing the Dashboard.

Now, new users will now get into Bunpro much sooner, with Steps on their Path guiding them through the early stages instead.
This lets us teach people how Bunpro works while they are actually using Bunpro.

If you are already far into Bunpro, nothing is being reset and you don’t need to redo onboarding. You just get the new Path stuff. :tada:


:carrot: That’s all folks

The first batch of Steps is live, but as mentioned, we have plenty more things we want Your Path to eventually help with.

Give it a try, see what shows up, and as always please let us know what you think!
Especially if there is something on Bunpro where you’ve ever thought: “I wish Bunpro just told me when I should do X or when to use Y tool.” That is exactly the kind of thing we want to hear about.

Happy studying,

The Bunpro Team :bunprogold:

PS: This feature is not yet available on the App Store / Google Play app, although it is planned for future release – keep your app up-to-date and keep an eye out on the release notes!

88 Likes

This seems really awesome for supporting people who are coming into Bunpro at the start of their Japanese journey. Great work, team!!

15 Likes

100% agree! I’m also looking forward to it letting us give relevant Steps to existing users when we release new content, which we have a fair bit of in the pipeline through the end of the year.

15 Likes

Looks really promising!! Excited to see it in action!

6 Likes

Something doesn’t look right here or is it just me ?

But yes, thank you for that new feature, I can’t wait to test the offered next steps. Thank you !

9 Likes

Welcome to the forums :wave:

And whoops, good catch. That escaped QA apparently :sweat_smile:

Should be fixed now!

3 Likes

Did you guys estimate where we all would land? (for now?) I ask because a peculiar thing happened; I only have these stepts available to me:

Yet I never took any N3 mock exam nor read any passage past N4 in the service; Sure enough, they’re apparently marked as steps taken:

It would be cool to have these steps available to me again just to spice up my sessions. Maybe read a few topics or passages every so often =)

9 Likes

That is the intended state. It isn’t ideal but we chose to do it this way so that users in your situation didn’t have 100 steps showing up, especially steps that were maybe too low level (like the N5 L1 Reading Passages when you are studying N1 for example).

The ability to revive a step is something we have discussed but it was more in the context of reviving dismissed/skipped steps. I can see why having it here would be useful for you though!

I will bring it up with the team.

8 Likes

This is what so many apps are lacking, but all learners need. Love the idea of this update and can’t wait to see how it evolves!

One question: will all “steps” be on-platform (link to something on Bunpro) or will there be external steps too?

6 Likes

This is awesome!

Is there any way to revive a step? I clicked the “details” button on one, canceled out, and now the whole step is crossed out and “clear” is the only option. I didn’t do the step tho, just clicked details to see what it would say, and that resulted in being crossed out.

This is a great addition to the service that will help a lot of people and show off more of what bunpro has going!

4 Likes

What step was it? Do you remember?
It sounds like a bug :thinking:

A team mate explained this one to me as he ran into the same issue.
Clicking “Not now” in the JLPT Practice Test / Kaijugation popouts actually marks the Step as “complete”, which is not a good interaction.
We have the separate “Skip” button for that.

I’m gonna change it so that clicking “Not now” just closes the popout.

Also – I’ve added the ability to still use the Go/Details buttons, so you relive the Step.

4 Likes

When is it designed to give steps? If I follow a book does it give the steps as certain chapters are “finished”? Does a user have to follow the Bunpro path? You mentioned here

So I understand its grammar based, but as I followed through a few text books and they dont cover everything, that leads to gaps for me within bunpro Im not the quickest to fill in.

It gave me the Lesson 10 Readings, and after quickly reading through and marking those as complete, it completely removed itself from my UI. How would I know where to go to get the next steps to fill in said case? If I were to continue following my book, seemingly those steps would stop appearing circa N4 if I were not following Bunpro Path.

I did mark a N4 Grammar lesson 1 as complete and it did give me the reading for that. So I understand too that it would appear if I were to completely study a lesson, but if I were following decks it might be a pain in the butt to go in and manually add the point to my reviews just to get the reading section path.

So my TLDR suggestion is, can it appear say at 80 or 90% of Grammar studied? Since you then link grammar points to their respective pages in the reading, I can link to it and add it to my reviews during those readings.

1 Like

Awesome feature!!

Regarding Google Play, many of the recently announced features are still not available on Android :slightly_frowning_face: it would be great to have these features available faster at the mobile apps.

2 Likes

Same for iOS

1 Like

I love this feature so much, thanks for adding it! I actually had a little list I was keeping for things I should check back on and when, so having this built in is amazing.

1 Like

Steps are surfaced based on these criteria:

  • Kaijugation: All relevant Grammar Points learned
  • Reading Passages: All Grammar Points learned in the associated Lesson (Bunpro Grammar)
  • JLPT Practice Tests: 95% of Grammar Points learned in the associated JLPT level
  • Topics: All target Grammar Points learned (from the “Grammar in this Topic” section – see the screenshot)
Screenshot

So regardless of what Deck you use, if you learn the attributed Grammar Points, a Step will be surfaced.
There may indeed be awkward gaps in Grammar that your textbook doesn’t cover, that would stop certain Steps being surfaced.

If I were you, I’d check in with the Grammar Library from time to time to find what Grammar you might be missing.

2 Likes

How cool! I just finished learning all the N5 grammar yesterday, and saw this new tab today so I thought it was specific to when you finished something significant, but I’m even happier to learn it’s a whole new feature that’ll always be there !! Thanks for this addition , super interesting !

1 Like

This seems like an awesome new feature! However, I’m about halfway through N4 and my only step so far is reading some N4 passages. I think it would be nice if Bunpro recommended me to catch up on older content, such as N5 topics and reading passages. I think it would actually motivate me to do those things.

3 Likes

I feel so dumb, but where do I find the “see steps taken” button? I’m probably overlooking something really obvious in the OP, but I can’t find it. Or does it not appear until I’ve done one of the recommendations?

2 Likes

It’s right below your profile on the right hand side, the bar is a bit thin so I also didn’t see it at first…

3 Likes