New Grammar! Non-JLPT - 26th April 2024

I can’t find the deck of these 🥲 I went through all available decks and couldn’t find N0

2 Likes

Yeah, you have go in to each point manually and add them to your reviews for now:

Non-JLPT grammar does not have its own deck yet, but we are working on getting it set up as soon as possible! Until such time, the grammar points are all fully functional, and you can add them directly to your review queues from the links provided in this post! :partying_face:

3 Likes

At the moment, there is no Non-JLPT deck for browsing. We are getting it set up as soon as possible.

7 Likes

That’s great, it’s quite surprising how much grammar or grammar-like stuff you find in media and colloquial speech that is not covered in textbook and by JLPT.

E.g. you learn “な” at the end as “don’t do!” early on but in reality it seems to be used much more often in very different non-negative ways.

4 Likes

That’s a different な. The one that’s a rough “don’t do” ALWAYS follows verbs in their dictionary form. Otherwise, it’s the other な that you’re referring to as being more common, which has different meanings depending on context.

2 Likes

I know, my point is that the other なs (e.g. the shortened なさい or the confirmation seeking one like “美味しい、な?”) seem to be much more common in media and colloquial speech but I never saw them in grammar books or JLPT focussed lessons. I know that they are used in a different way (e.g. 食べるな for don’t eat and 食べな for please eat) and therefore are distinguishable but that was not my point. My point is that they should be teached early on because they are used a lot, after my experience much more often than the “don’t do it!” one. I heart the confirmation seeking one countless of times (especially on YouTube) and the “don’t do it” one… well… maybe not a single time yet.

2 Likes

I see what you mean.

I hear the Verb+な in movies, anime, manga, etc. It’s probably not gonna show up on YouTube videos since people aren’t trying to be rude nor sound rough, at least not usually (unless they’re joking around, or something), but it is used more than you think.

2 Likes

That might well be, I’m one of the very rare people who are learning Japanese but don’t watch anime or read manga. :slight_smile: Well, with the exception of big cinema anime like from Studio Ghibli or Makoto Shinkai but they usually don’t use rude language either. I prefer normal books (Murakami, Ogawa etc) and filmed movies (Ozu and Koreeda are my favorite directors).

You’d have to strap me to a chair like in Clockwork Orange to watch shounen anime. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You might surprise yourself! I said the same thing when I started learning Japanese. My interest stems from Zen practice and, like you, cinephilia (Koreeda also one of my favorite directors).

After about 1.5yrs of study, I decided to check out some anime after a friend educated me about how it’s not all Pokemon and juvenalia (which sadly is the casual impression). I started watching shows like Monster, and now I’m hooked. And I’m a middle aged dude :grin:

Fact is, anime is a GREAT way to immerse in the language, especially these days when it’s so easy to access shows outside of Japan.

Or maybe you won’t heh. But there’s definitely a niche of anime out there for everyone!

3 Likes

Yeah Monster is great!! Definitely not for little kids.

Unfortunately you are right that the general impression is that anime is kid’s cartoons, which it can be, but they’re not all like that. There are several anime that rival a lot of what’s coming out of Hollywood these days. That’s for sure!

I’ve been watching anime since I was a little kid, though they were translated into Spanish in my birth country (The Dominican Republic). Most of them were mecha based from the 70’s (Mazinger Z, Gaiking, Koutetu Jikku, Starzinger, Magnerobo Ga Kiin, etc.), but others like “Cobra” had mature content. I don’t know which one came first, but “Cobra” is basically “Total Recall” with a lot of nudity. They’d show that on TV back in the 80’s, in the afternoon! lol. Definitely not something you’d see these days. It was so good though. Like I said, it was like “Total Recall” but with a better story and more mature content.

Anyway, for as long as I can remember there’s been anime for everyone and, like you said @8bg , anime is a great way to immerse given they’re so readily available.

3 Likes

Are these new points supposed to end up in the regular JLPT decks? As I noticed I had 3 new lessons in JLPT2 even with having already ‘finished’ all the lessons from it. From my understanding in the original post currently we are supposed to add them manually (until you add the separate deck for them). Was it intended they ended up in the normal decks?

1 Like

A few of them will be in the normal decks at the appropriate level, the others are Non-JLPT.

3 Likes

Missed opportunity to use やれやれだぜ in one of the example sentences for ぜ lol.

8 Likes

“ Until such time, the grammar points are all fully functional, and you can add them directly to your review queues from the links provided in this post! ”

I’ve been looking at the pages for the lessons repeatedly, but I can’t find how to add them to the review queue if they aren’t in a deck. Could someone just point to where on the linked pages I will find that function?

1 Like

Hi!

Just click on the button to add the grammar point to your review queue:

HTH!

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I guess that’s on the app? The browser version seems to be missing that feature.

1 Like

It’s on browser:

2 Likes

Thanks, I was about to reply that I still don’t see it, but I’m using an iPad and it’s automatically truncating the sidebar. I just noticed in the lower left there’s a ‘show side bar’ button, so problem solved.

2 Likes

I’m using the website on an iPad and I can see the add button. I also checked on my iPhone and it works fine there too. I’m not an app user, btw.

Keep in mind that on an iPhone you access this button through the sidebar. There’s a sidebar button on the bottom of the screen in RED. You can’t miss it.

HTH!

1 Like

That’s fine, but that doesn’t change the fact it wasn’t visible for me on iPad, probably due to some setting I’m not aware of and clearly, that button can be missed :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like