Number of Users per Level

I’m not really sure why people are binding their JLTP Nx range with maximum XP

According to this, you get XP based on what part of a streak you are in. So why would it be linked to N level? Do you lose the XP when you get something wrong again?
If I make a mistake in my reviews at Streak 10, go back to Streak 8 (wait does that even happen in BunPro?), can I then get the 80 and 90XP again?

Can someone explain?

Cool! Personally, I would love to see the evolution of subscription users over time but I guess that is confidential :sweat_smile:

I would love to see those peaks and try to find if there is any correlation to anything (eg. Dec Sale, before/after JLPT), and also if the user base is growing at a healthy pace!

1 Like

You are right. For example, I am level 50+ but I am only halfway through N3.

You do not lose XP when you get something wrong, you just remain at the same streak until you get it right the next time.

As far as I noticed, you can only obtain any particular streak exp once. That is why there is a cap to how high users can level up right now. Otherwise, some people will be redoing N5 material like crazy and get some crazy high level.

1 Like

Ah! That explains it. I think I’ve been doing wanikani for too long. :sweat_smile:

So it’s 5850 xp per item.

A total of 723 items are currently available. So that is a maximum of 4,229,550 xp. Seems like level 100 is already possible?

Sorry to divert, are you using Android? I just noticed my iOS grammar counts are lower than your version (my version is from June 26th). I have 160 for N4, 199 for N3 and 197 for N2.

1 Like

I am using Android, yes. This is the first time that I have seen those numbers, but I thought maybe it was an update?

Perhaps Android puts in the 未 placeholder like desktop version and iOS doesn’t ?

Over 341 富士山s?! :open_mouth::mountain::mountain::mountain:

No, it has always been the amount you’re seeing, just since today it’s different.

@Pushindawood Could you explain to me what the logic is behind the amount of XP you need to earn per level?
To get to level 23, I needed to get 2300 XP, for level 24 I had to get 2500, and now at level 25 I need to get 2650?
Then in the FAQ it says to get to level 1 I need to get 100 XP and for level 2 I need 300 XP.
I’m not quite sure what the logic behind that growth is?
I guess you there is some exponential growth that is than rounded of to steps of 500 or 100 depending on the level or something?

With the correct XP per User Level, I have updated the top post with correct numbers. For those interested, the list of values can be found here.

I also made a little graph for the XP requirement increase per level, and the amount of XP one has at each level.

XP Requirement Increase Per Level

Every section has a different increase in the XP Requirement Increase.

Minimum amount of XP

4 Likes

Got to love all the graphs!

As the streak points increase, I haven’t noticed whether more reviews are necessary per level increase. Of course the ghost reviews are sandwiched in so it’s hard to tell. Certainly I’m more outside my prior knowledge as the lessons continue. To note, I’m seeing vocab/kanji in the N3 that is outside N3 material which takes a bit longer to digest for me and sentence examples are getting MUCH longer. This is actually great because the extra challenge improves reading (and I just make a list new vocab words) but the reviews on newer material is taking me longer as I move along. Perhaps a difference when compared to kanji/vocab SRS learning on WK.

3 Likes

So… what’s the highest level someone has achieved so far in BunPro?

3 Likes

@emucat, If you click on “Groups”, you can see for your self!
53%20PM

@Pep95 mentioned at least 110 level is attainable now in this post and likely at least +122 once N1 is finished. I think there is still more to add even after they finish Tobira slots. There was mention of going through the Grammar Dictionary series which would be great too. I suppose they can add more example sentences though that may be unlikely.

2 Likes

That would be awesome!

3 Likes

Thought I’d update the graph, since there are suddenly so many more users since last year :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
This time I went through groups 51 to 100 to filter out incorrect group members.

Keep in mind these are only the users that have at least once visited the forums.
I will update the first post with these images.

Btw @Pushindawood, I think the groups are still a little bit muddled. There are about 60 users that are in groups 51 up to their level, and some users that have no badges or are below level 50. So there’s still something going wrong here and there.

6 Likes

Although I agree with this, I also disagree with it. The grammar doesn’t become ‘hard’, grammar just begins to include far more uncommon kanji, which most people just don’t want to study for some reason.

1 Like

Thanks for updating! As the data points for Level 1 - 9 are skewing the results quite a bit and makes the y-axis a little too extreme, do you mind doing one without Level 1-9?

1 Like

Hope this is good :wink: Also nice level

8 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think in reality, earlier levels might also be much higher, as badges are only given once someone joins the forums. Therefore, a higher level user will be more likely to have joined the forums than a low level user. But I still think a large amount of users have at least once joined the forums, since every grammar point has a link to it for more info and discussion.

1 Like