Popout & Furigana Changes + New Landing Page

the landing page is great now

when I recommended bunpro to people and they checked the main page, they were like “really? idk, it looks those generic websites” :laughing:

dont judge a book by its cover right?

now it is up to its great inside quality

4 Likes

The landing page looks phenomenal, much more professional!

I’m really excited for the new vocabulary popout functionality, this is why I’m so happy I purchased the lifetime membership this year. I know you are all so passionate about the product, and the amount of growth over the last half year is insane.

I’m sure a lot of things that a lot of these are on your radar but I have a bit of feedback on the vocab pop-out:

1. The vocab popout doesn’t seem to be working on the mobile browser. I think this might be to do with the new furigana pop-out, so I’m unsure if this is by design. Funnily I’ve got the opposite on my iPad in that the furigana (click to hover) doesn’t work but the vocab popout does.

2. Vocab popout doesn’t work on the reading practice pages.

3. Would be nice if the context sentences had audio. Though I’m unsure if these are from the reading sentences, so I get if this wouldn’t be possible at the moment.

4. Would be nice if we got additional elements on bits of vocab including:

• Usage (common)
  • Word Type (Noun, い adjective, な adjective etc)
  • JLPT Level
  • Jisho Link

I hope this doesn’t come across as negative, or pushy!

Thanks for all of your continued hardwork!

4 Likes

Fixed! Thanks for pointing it out.
@kush Good catch :sweat:

@GalYurr @IntrepidKitsun You can copy the whole sentence with the option in the dropdown to the right. I also set it so that you should now be able to copy a word without getting the furigana.

@Lolle2000la there is an option in your general settings to disable the hover. It is on by default.

@Slackware In the future when every word is clickable and triggers the popout, this issue will go away. Additionally, once we have added our vocab lists, you will have more fine grained control on which words have furigana and which don’t, including grammar vocab combo words.

@sulami Is it happening in general or only in the popout?

@ChristophWally What browser are you using? Seems to be okay on chrome on mobile for me. Not all vocab is in our database yet so there are a lot of words, that won’t trigger a popout.
This goes for reading practice passages as well. We haven’t updated them as we want to iron out how it works with example sentences first. Audio for the context sentences as well as translations is something we will look to implement potentially a little further down the road this year. Great suggestions for vocab info. The jlpt level and word type should be in the upper left corner. The other two you mentioned, plus a few more are on our radar :smiley:

5 Likes

@Jake @kush Sorry, “a click away” was correct the first time. Just like “a mile away” or “two houses away” or “far away”.

3 Likes

Good thing we don’t teach English… :joy:
If there is ever an English version of Bunpro, I myself may need to use it…

6 Likes

Thanks for responding!

The browser I’m using on mobile is iOS Safari 15.2. Also, not working on my iPad anymore for some reason (iPadOS 15.2). Blooming Apple! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@Asher Are the N4 grammar writeups still slated to be released by the 15th of January? I would really like to time my start of N4 when they are added so that I can progress without having a few days without them.

2 Likes

They are finished now. We are just doing the programming side of things (adding html tags so eveything displays correctly etc), and double checking spelling etc etc. They should be done by the 15th still if there are no unforeseen issues. :blush:

6 Likes

That’s great, best of luck!

2 Likes

I was actually talking about the ‘away’ in the ‘These sentences were created in away’. I forgot there was two of them so I didnt specify. Whoops :upside_down_face:

any ETA for the oficial app overhaul?

To be indeed an app with anki mode, self study, etc?

:grinning:

2 Likes

I just tried on safari and it works. Can you double check that the word you are clicking on is one that has a vocab reference. Pretty much all of the words in N5 sentences should be clickable.

@kush :man_facepalming: you are right. I have changed the correct one :joy:

@evandcs We will probably have something sometime in March, assuming we don’t run into an hiccups along the way. It won’t have all of the functionality just yet though.

4 Likes

Just a heads up I have also been having problems with the furigana hover/on-off functionality. Certain words just refused to be interacted with. A lot of the time is verbs a the end of sentences but sometimes it happens with other hyper common words like 見る and it’s derivatives. I have not been vigilant enough to track it, but if it helps I will start flagging them in the report tickets.

Unless there is a different way that works better for you and the team Jake.

2 Likes

If you come across one, a screen grab of the interaction would be super helpful. I think being able to see what you are seeing will give us a much better idea on what might be causing the problem.

If you are able to do a screen capture of it and dm me the gif or link a video here on the forums here that would work perfectly. :bowing_man:

3 Likes

This alignment issue seems to be browser dependent…

Firefox (misaligned)

Edge (aligned)

3 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that it wasn’t fixed. I was wondering if the update was not pushed live yet.

Can confirm it’s still miss-aligned here too as I use Firefox.

2 Likes

In general. Though now I’m starting to doubt myself, as of today things seem to be working as intended again?

You mentioned there being a record of known and not known readings that is updated when toggling Furigana, would it be possible to flush that list/disable recording that altogether? I use Bunpro a fair amount from my phone, where I end up tapping all over the place, and probably toggling Furigana without intending to do so.

2 Likes

@sulami

Same for me it seems to be working for me now, though I’m not sure if I was getting confused with the grammar details page which don’t appear to have vocab pop-outs yet.

@Jake

Another thing I’ve spotted (which I assume is a very rare case). On the grammar page V + に行く there is the example sentence:

公園こうえんあそった

For 遊び, it produces the pop out as below:

Unless I’m mistaken (with my limited grammar knowledge), this is technically the wrong word. The sentence actually contains a formal conjugation of the verb 遊ぶ. Quite subtle, but it did get me thinking of how pop outs would work with verbs and their conjugations.

2 Likes

Well its hard to say if it is the wrong word or not. Similar to English it is like the difference between playing and playing, one being a gerund and the other the progressive verb. Same issue here. They overlap semantically so I would say that it is the correct word.

Its important to notice too that 遊びます is really the noun 遊び and the auxiliary verb ます. Though that is a confusing way to thing about it so we tend to think of it as conjugation. So it is not exactly right to try and draw a distinction between the polite form of verb and the noun form of the verb.

In general I would say to think that the infinitive form is the base form, so: 遊ぶ
The gerund: 遊び

Im not sure the best way for Bunpro to handle this but I think that the current way of using examples that use the current form it is in is close the optimum way.

Edit: I alway write to fast and revise to little :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

too fast and too little ^^

3 Likes