Probably a obvious question to you guys

Structure

View on Bunpro
So I only just started this thing like a week ago so I don’t really understand much yet, so forgive this question :slight_smile:

One this lesson review, it asked what is not an い adjective. I guessed correctly but I don’t actually understand why, since they all end in the same way.

This is a really common misunderstanding for people starting out. The reason is that き and れい are two onyomi (Chinese readings) of the kanji, so if it were spelt in kanji it would look like this: 綺麗. Because there is no い following the kanji, for example with 暑い, it is a な adjective.

There is one horrible exception, which is extremely annoying to many people, which is きらい. This ends with an い but is unfortunately a な adjective, so you would conjugate it as 嫌いな人 (a person I hate). As far as I’m aware, this is the only one.

3 Likes

Oh, thank you! That makes much more sense now

1 Like

There’s also 幸い (さいわい) and the make-your-own-na-adjective-ending-in-i-kit みたい. Not sure what else.

1 Like

That’s true. Forgot about that one…
So we have 嫌い and 幸い. Any more horrible exceptions that on paper should be い adjectives but in actual fact are な?