Question-phrase + か - Grammar Discussion

including questions within sentences

Structure

• Question-phrase + + わかる, おぼえていない, しっている, etc.

View on Bunpro

:warning: Do not attach だ or です to nouns or な-adjectives preceding か

[Questions within sentences are in short form・だ is usually dropped after a な-adjective or noun and before か・かどうか is used when the question word is not present and in ‘if/whether or not’ questions]

僕がどこにいる わかる?

Hello,

About this example: 彼が誰のことを好きかわかりません。
Shouldn’t it be like this: 彼は誰のことが好きかわかりません。?

Hey, long time no see! :grin:

Both are acceptable.

When you embed a question within the larger sentence it is OK to mark the object of liking with を instead of が。
It is also OK to do this normal way and use が instead. Same applies to 嫌い.

(私は)彼が誰のことが好きかわかりません。:+1:
(私は)彼が誰のことを好きかわかりません。:+1:

2 Likes

Why does this grammar point use green instead of orange and yellow?

1 Like

かどうか (and possibly some other grammar points that I don’t know yet) should probably be included in the related grammar points. Vice versa, this grammar point should be included on the かどうか page I think.

EDIT: It’s also covered by Tae Kim’s guide to grammar here, so that should probably also be added to the readings!

1 Like

@DonChanHype Thank you for your comment! I have added かどうか and some other grammar points to the related section. I have also included the Tae Kim link that you provided in the Readings section. Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks as always! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It might be helpful to include sentences that use the nominalization のか as well, since I’ve been getting confused when seeing that out in the wild. For example, this WaniKani sentence: 「字がきたなすぎて、薬方に何が書いてあるのかさっぱり分かりません。」

In this grammar point, か comes right after the verb, with no nominalizer, but のか can happen as well, right?